Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Mercy construction as of 10/31/2007
mercytv2.jpg

A bonus shot...like it? I'm happy with it.

New Development on Danforth St....

http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php?storyid=13429

Of the 43 units, 30 will be available to people who earn less than 60 percent of the area median income. That means a single tenant would have to make no more than $28,600 a year to get one of the affordable apartments, Szanton said.

Szanton and Monks have developed two other mixed-income rental projects on the peninsula in recent years. Casco Terrace on State Street opened in 2004, followed by Walker Terrace on Congress Street in 2006.
The Planning Board will get its first look at the project Feb. 12 during a workshop meeting. The project will need conditional rezoning from the city to accommodate a request for less parking than required and greater density.
Uh oh, less parking and greater density, can we handle this?!

p-szanton-011608web.jpg

Last edited:
What ever happened to Graves Hill? What is the latest in the Waterview saga? I can't find nothing on it anywhere...

Who knows with Graves Hill. Haven't heard about it in a few years.

Jeff Cohen of Waterview now wants to build a much smaller housing complex on that site. He wants a lot of it to be lower income which is pissing off the people around that area. They let him move that other house on the site and gave him permits to build that big place. Now he's just trying to find a way to get free money, aka low income money from the state.

Not sure if anybody has talked about this, but the Portland Harbor Hotel bought the four story brick building next door. The place that used to be Akari. Well, they have connected the two buildings with a foor story steel frame addition. They had been shutting down that part of Fore Street at night.

On a side note, there are some interested details of the change in Portland nightlife on wharf and fore st. Go the www.thebollard.com to check it out

Here's another thing I forget to mention.

Last month my parents got a postcard at our restaurant. It showed how West Gate shopping plaza on congress street was getting a big makeover. I think they are building two restaurants up closer to the street and really updated and maybe constructing some more there. I know Shaw's is getting bigger.

That is seriously the most depressing strip mall ever. Hopefully they can make it nice like Northgate is now.

Does your family own Espo's, by any chance? That place is great.

No, my family owns Angelone's pizza. I used to go to Esposito's quite a bit as a kid but I haven't been in quite some time.

rivwalk just start...juswt spoke with marshal at a bar, says intmed will be the tallest

Riverwalk condos part started? That's good news. I saw them digging up around the concrete thing. What do you mean he said Intermed will be the tallest? That they won't allow anything bigger than that in the future?

Heck yeah.....As for the tallest, do you mean in Bayside? How is the Pearl Street complex coming along?

Riverwalk condos part started? That's good news. I saw them digging up around the concrete thing. What do you mean he said Intermed will be the tallest? That they won't allow anything bigger than that in the future?

I asked him if he was for height, he said in the right places, I said where he said bayside, I brought up intmed and he said he thinks that will be the tallest

The four story all glass addition is almost completed connecting the Portland Harbor Hotel to the building next to it. Really sharp looking and not what you would be expecting down there.

Yeah it looks really neat. It reminds me a bit of the new apple store in Boston based on pictures, what with the all glass and being built between two old(er) buildings.

That's exactly what I thought of too Corey. I'm really liking the look of the OceanGateway garage too.

PMA to build parking lot on adjacent site By Portland Press Herald Staff Report June 23, 2008 02:45 PM

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/029367.html

The Portland Museum of Art will break ground July 7 for a landscape and parking project on a lot adjacent to the museum at 87 Spring St.
The property will feature birch trees planted in three grids along Spring Street to represent a house lot that included a stately residence during the 19th century.
The project will provide interim parking for staff and should be completed by Labor Day. The PMA will undergo a long-range planning process to determine the best eventual use of the property.

I believe this is the lot where the YWCA used to to be. I wonder how long it will remain a parking lot. I would guess several decades.

That's depressing news. One of my biggest beefs with Porltand (and most small New England cities) is surface parking lots in all the wrong places. The reason I mention Portland in particular (aside from the news of this newest parking lot) is because some people in Portland really get it (better than they do in other cities) and build garages with street level retail, while right next door will be a dumpy surface lot in the middle of everything.

Again, that's too bad. Hopefully it won't last long, but if they're landscaping it in the shape of a foundation, it sounds like a long term plan.

I agree. one reason why portland is like that is because the planning process to build things is so drawn out that even if there was demand enough to build on those lots, the effort needed to actually pursue development is discouraging and so they remain as they are. also, often times there is NOT the demand to build on those lots, due to our population and economy.

the lots that really need to go are in the old port

Back