Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Very cool patrick, is that Cincinnati in the second one?

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=205547&ac=PHnws

Landscape contractor Coastal Lawn Care of Falmouth is planting more than 100 hydrangeas and 48 white paper birch trees on the former YWCA lot at 87 Spring St. in Portland. Work should be finished by Labor Day, and the lot will remain green space until the Portland Museum of Art decides on a more permanent use for the land, museum spokeswoman Kristen Levesque said.

1663548lqk8.jpg

-newspaper photo

Well, I guess it's better than nothing.

Patrick, do you sell those? If so, where?

Truly awesome by the way :)

Patrick, do you sell those? If so, where?

Truly awesome by the way :)

Hi Statler,

The plan is to sell them here in Maine in the old port.

The city law is that no license is required to sell your original art work on city sidewalks, so I was thinking farmer's market days, cruise ship stops, and weekends in the old port.

I have also spoken with several art galleries that sell prints in town and they are going to be hanging the picture on consignment.

A few bars and coffee shops are also interested.

And I am going to be doing a few of Boston as well, and perhaps selling them in areas like back bay near that guy who sells the water colors on the corner of newbury and some side street or in an area like F hall.

I just started, and on the pic of Portland I used no ruler. So, they should only improve.

Thanks for the comments. I am starting to sell them at $10 unframed.

and yes, Corey, that is cincinnati.

since I am unfamiliar with the city, and just using a pic as a guide, I have the city looking real nice but totally out of scale. I am drawing it for my neighbor, who is paying $200 for the original.

more to come.

any ideas on what view of Boston skyline I should do?

I don't want to derail this Portland thread with a bunch of Boston pics so I'll PM you some suggestions. Good luck!

If I find one I'll pick up a copy for only $10 for my new apartment. I would charge at least $20!

If I find one I'll pick up a copy for only $10 for my new apartment. I would charge at least $20!

trying to get my name out so I can get 'known' and charge more

cheap at first, almost like a grand opening

http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php?storyid=15970
Talks accelerate for development of property along West Commercial</STRONG>By Kate Bucklin (published: August 28, 2008)

PORTLAND ? Plans to develop a more than 50-acre swath of land along West Commercial Street are moving forward, according to the developer working on the project.

Bobby Monks, of Monks O?Neil Development, this week said the real estate development company has signed a three-year agreement with landowner Pan Am Railways to come up with a redevelopment scheme for the vacant waterfront land.

Monks said he expected to continue meeting with stakeholders until at least November and could have plans ready for public release by the end of this year.

?This is a large piece of property,? Monks said. ?It is going to be developed over a fairly long period of time.?

The developer has set up a Web site, westcommercialstreet.com, to keep people informed about the project.

The part about developing all this over a long period of time is a great approach. Building incrementaly at a small(er) scale is what gives nice old neighborhoods and streets their charm. I could say more on the subject, but I would be paraphrasing James Howard Kunstler.

All ready for the fall semester. It has a neat looking mostly-glass bus stop in front and a UPS store. There is also a new coffee place going in next door .

By thecoreyt

By thecoreyt

I always felt that the library had a lot of wasted space, such as the long entryway. I look forward to this new look. For such a big footprint, it seems like the building doesn't have that much space inside.

Monument Square looks so clean in this drawing!

I like the floor plan but not the outside. The building doesn't seem old enough for a new glass addition to look good like it does on the Umass Amherst Fine Arts Center or the Christian Science Church.

I like the floor plan but not the outside. The building doesn't seem old enough for a new glass addition to look good like it does on the Umass Amherst Fine Arts Center or the Christian Science Church.

I haven't seen those buildings. I am sure they do look better. But I like the glass. I think we should have a library like Boston, something classy, like city hall, but although we used to (located up the street from the current location) we have to work with what we have. The building is not that great, but it will fir the area better now. Kimball court is a new condo building on congress just a block from the library with an all glass front. used to be a two story abandoned building. if you head down elm street toward marginal way, you can now see the glistening intermed building. and the office buildings on monument square are shinny too. I thin a place like congress street, which is much more susceptible to economic forces, should look glitzy, whereas the oldport can remain brick. that way, when the economy turns down, at least the buildings won't look so bad (congress is affected before the old port in business cycles. in the 1990s the street was vacant)

Back