Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Max

Reaction score
Construction on the corner of center and comericial getting ready to start
Nice! This is the Canopy Hotel, which is really the first piece of the massive Portland Square redevelopment, though it is being separately developed. Commercial Street's building wall is expanding both to the east and west.

Portlander

Reaction score
There are only three holes (infill) remaining to Franklin Street. The MEMIC parking lot, the small parking lot beside Bill's Pizza and the Standard Baking lot next to the Hilton.

Portcity75

Reaction score
Anyone else seen the canal plaza building with bank of Maine in it? The back corner on temple street side has walls smashed out on first floor to make what I'm assuming a retail or restaurant spot. Pretty weird to see as I can remember anything like it. Especially to a building that size

Max

Reaction score
Anyone else seen the canal plaza building with bank of Maine in it? The back corner on temple street side has walls smashed out on first floor to make what I'm assuming a retail or restaurant spot. Pretty weird to see as I can remember anything like it. Especially to a building that size
I have been seeing this, and I have no idea what they're doing.

Also, does anyone know what's going on in the Franklin Street median between Congress and Cumberland? They cut down a bunch of trees, and now there's a tarp-like thing covering a big stretch of the basin between these two streets.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know what's going on in the Franklin Street median between Congress and Cumberland? They cut down a bunch of trees, and now there's a tarp-like thing covering a big stretch of the basin between these two streets.
They're just keeping the ground covered until they replant trees in the spring. Sadly not a precursor to a rebuild of Franklin.

Max

Reaction score
There's a proposal for a 5-story residential building with ground floor retail at 879 Congress Street. It looks like 4 floors from the street, but it drops down to 5 in the back due to the grade change.

With the Maine Med parking garage demolition scheduled to begin in January, this part of Congress is going to be a construction zone for the next three years! I'm also surprised the big surface lot next to Salvage BBQ has not been proposed for development.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 12.34.34 PM.png

cneal

Reaction score
^ Good find. That lot has been empty and for sale for ages.

The Canal Plaza work looks like it's for a new entryway, and also adding some windows to give the basement offices some natural light:

markhb

Reaction score
I'm also surprised the big surface lot next to Salvage BBQ has not been proposed for development.
The old Sportsman's Grill site? I believe MMC has that in their private land bank.

Portcity75

Reaction score
That's a sweet hotel. I lived near that gas station and tandem for a few years. Big improvement

Portlander

Reaction score
Odd place for a new hotel PWMFlyer but I'm pleased with any new construction on Congress Street. Guess it will be perfect for visitors who have family or friends that are being cared for at Maine Med.

cneal

Reaction score
Odd place for a new hotel PWMFlyer but I'm pleased with any new construction on Congress Street. Guess it will be perfect for visitors who have family or friends that are being cared for at Maine Med.
Bear in mind it's right across the street from "The Francis" which opened a couple years ago. And Tandem next door is literally overflowing with tourists every weekend.

Max

Reaction score
I think it's a great spot for a boutique hotel and is a 100% improvement to the streetscape from what's there currently. And it's a pretty sleek looking design to boot!

Max

Reaction score
There appears to be some major work happening on the facades at the Bay House, looks like all the balconies are being renovated, among other things.
E849972C-8712-4B7B-86B0-0BCF75D8CECB.jpeg

Portlander

Reaction score
I love the design of the proposed hotel and agree that it will enhance that portion of Congress Street. It is just not the downtown location I'd choose if I were a visitor to Portland when there are so many other lodging options closer to the Old Port and waterfront.

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score
I like how that hotel will create a 4-5 story street wall along that stretch of Congress along with Walker Terrace. I like the design, too. Fits well with the neighborhood.

If anything, Tandem will now be a bit of a sore thumb in that stretch.