Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Local 2020 Census results are out, for those interested.

Since 2010, Portland itself grew by just 3.3% to 68,408.

Westbrook and Scarborough both grew by over 10%. Westbrook was the fastest growing community in the state (16.2%) Biddeford and Saco also saw solid growth (The BSOOB area added 5,600 people since 2010)

Overall, Cumberland County added about 21,000 in population, and York added about 11,000.

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score
Local 2020 Census results are out, for those interested.

Since 2010, Portland itself grew by just 3.3% to 68,408.

Westbrook and Scarborough both grew by over 10%. Westbrook was the fastest growing community in the state (16.2%) Biddeford and Saco also saw solid growth (The BSOOB area added 5,600 people since 2010)

Overall, Cumberland County added about 21,000 in population, and York added about 11,000.
Where did you find this data? The census website is terrible. I can't find the info at the municipal level.

Cosakita18

Reaction score

Portlander

Reaction score
Thanks Cosakita, I looked at that site but didn't scan far enough down to see the 2020 figures. So Maine's largest in order are 1) PORTLAND 68,408 2) LEWISTON 37,121 3) BANGOR 31,753 4) SOUTH PORTLAND 26,498 5) AUBURN 24,061 6) SCARBOROUGH 22,135 7) SANFORD 21,982 8) WESTBROOK 20,400 9) AUGUSTA 18,899 10) WATERVILLE 15,828. Portland has it's highest population count since the 1960 census but is still around 10K less than it's historical high at the end of WW2.

Last edited:

TC_zoid

Reaction score
The metro area is the more accurate indicator of a city's population. Otherwise, El Paso, Texas is much bigger than Miami, and a little bigger than Boston. I've been to El Paso (twice). It feels like the size of Portland.

Portlander

Reaction score
Same as Wichita, KS now being larger than New Orleans, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and St Louis. Raleigh is now bigger than Minneapolis! I agree, MSA's are a better measure of a city's size and economic clout especially due to the disparity between the annexed "city limit" square miles of some cities for the census count. This thread has sure gotten off track but Cosakita started it :)

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score
Thanks!

I gander that Westbrook will continue to be the state's fastest growing city for some time. Last I checked, there are over 1,000 units planned (not all approved yet, but mostly homes or duplexes) between the Lincoln Street/Rivermeadow development, three developments off Brook Street, two developments off Bridge Street, two separate developments at the old Twin Falls gold course, the residential component to the Vertical Harvest/parking garage project, the mixed-use project at the corner of Saco Street and William Clarke Drive, the planned 4-5 story project between Pratt Abbott and The Stockhouse, the two redevelopments across from the park I posted about yesterday, and other stuff I've heard rumors about in the pipeline (more downtown multi-story mixed-use projects). And this doesn't even count any potential residential component to Rock Row. By 2030, Westbrook could be competing neck-and-neck with SoPo as Portland's largest suburb.

Seanflynn78

Reaction score
The metro area is the more accurate indicator of a city's population. Otherwise, El Paso, Texas is much bigger than Miami, and a little bigger than Boston. I've been to El Paso (twice). It feels like the size of Portland.
I made the mistake of spending time in West Texas (Lubbock, Odessa, and Amarillo) where looking at the population was giving the impression of a true urban core/downtown area. I was dead wrong, their downtown's were similar to Derry, NH and Willimantic, Connecticut. Maybe add a couple "high rise" - 15 story buildings. Plus these Texas cities are the size of some counties in New England. As for Portland, it has much more commerce and pedestrian foot traffic than any city in West Texas. Portland is such a great location too, living in Manchester, NH, we just admire from a far.
Has anyone heard any progress on the other skyscraper/high rise proposal (20+ stories) by East Brown Cow for downtown Portland? I know this project has been on again then off again, then on again.

Max

Reaction score
Looks like plans are being filed to construct a 4-story building on one of the last remaining undeveloped lots on Commercial Street. Sounds like an intriguing proposal from Maine Public to create new studios down there. It would be really cool if they built studios on the first floor visible to/from the street, similar to what WGBH did at the Boston Public Library on Boylston Street.

"29 Commercial Street will be used to construct a four-story new facility for Maine Public, housing a public engagement/performance space, broadcast studios for radio, and office support space."

Portlander

Reaction score
Is this a new structure to be built in the vacant lot to the east of the former Auto Europe building or a total renovation of the current four story building which is actually 29 Commercial Street? I hope it's a new building.

markhb

Reaction score
Is this a new structure to be built in the vacant lot to the east of the former Auto Europe building or a total renovation of the current four story building which is actually 29 Commercial Street? I hope it's a new building.
Is that the Workingman's Club? I would think/hope that was included in the India Street historic district.