Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

More of 218 Washington.
91FDE9F7-E72D-4970-94D8-6A3E0AC43D0E.jpeg
57627FD8-F20C-4A20-9561-B0638288086B.jpeg

I've heard that a prospective buyer had a meeting with the city planning office about a mixed-use proposal, but it's still in the early stages of development. The city has conceptual plans for reconfiguring the streets and the I-295 ramps around that lot, which could potentially add more buildable real estate, so there could be some opportunity for a public-private partnership.

Last edited:
I've heard that a prospective buyer had a meeting with the city planning office about a mixed-use proposal, but it's still in the early stages of development. The city has conceptual plans for reconfiguring the streets and the I-295 ramps around that lot, which could potentially add more buildable real estate, so there could be some opportunity for a public-private partnership.
On a related note, I've heard that the former Midtown parcels in Bayside are "back in play" since the city took them back with eminent domain.

The Midtown plan is fully and completely dead, but the city is eager to get something built there (including the partially funded garage) . Still very early in the process I'm told

On a related note, I've heard that the former Midtown parcels in Bayside are "back in play" since the city took them back with eminent domain.

The Midtown plan is fully and completely dead, but the city is eager to get something built there (including the partially funded garage) . Still very early in the process I'm told

Interesting, I wonder if there's any truth to that though. Seems to be a lot of rumors circulating regarding those parcels. I'd be curious to see who would take them on. Any guesses? Also, I don't think the City took the whole project, just a tiny piece of it - right?!? I've been wondering what's going on there and what will come of it myself...

Interesting, I wonder if there's any truth to that though. Seems to be a lot of rumors circulating regarding those parcels. I'd be curious to see who would take them on. Any guesses? Also, I don't think the City took the whole project, just a tiny piece of it - right?!? I've been wondering what's going on there and what will come of it myself...
Yeah, I thought the city just took the parcel with the garage - but I could be very wrong (hope I am).

I highly doubt the city has any recourse to get control of these lots except with the one for the garage. Eminent domain would be a HUGE stretch. I think we are stuck with these barren lots for perhaps years. The annual appreciation on the value of this land is quite high and renders the property taxes with it as insignificant (for the owner). This is the incentive for the owner, to sell some day, as it's not a good idea now to build a massive housing project that the city and a few influential residents will place its hands all over. It's already been demonstrated from the prior presentation fiasco--and to a ridiculous degree. The only real way something could come of this is if a smart arch/development firm like Kaplan Thompson was able to partner up with the owner, though not for an equal bite of the profit. They would do the deal simply because they care about the city and community. They are like that. The same with Redfern and the Fathom Companies. But this is only wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Lookee here... unit 402 is listed for $1.6 million! It's the views. The views of the now constantly changing Portland skyline and sunset from this project going back to Cumberland Avenue are incredible. I can hardly wait until someone buys the bottle redemption center and builds on that. I'll bet his junk property and lot (I've looked at it for investment purposes, but he's somewhat impossible to deal with) is worth nearly $2 million now. Maybe more. Probably. I calculated what the views would be from here at 20 feet up (with the trees clipped) and they are, as said, incredible.

Untitled 419.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like construction has started on the Fallbrook Commons assisted living facility in North Deering. Not a particularly exciting project, but it's meant to serve as a replacement for the nearby St. Josephs, on Washington Ave - Curious about the future of that property once Fallbrook Commons is complete.

1671119391152.png

I understand this is an assisted living facility...but Gosh that's hideous

If I was Dictator for a day... my first order of business would be to outlaw this style of "New England Contemporary Suburban" architecture.

Last edited:
I understand this is an assisted living facility...but Gosh that's hideous

If I was Dictator for a day... my first order of business would be to outlaw this style of "New England Contemporary Suburban" architecture.

So agree with your sentiment here. It's time for Maine projects like this to move toward a Rockies/Western inspired architecture with more open concept designs featuring raw materials and opening the interiors to more natural light and surroundings. This stuff is so dated and hideous....so much of this stuff on the North Shore and Southern NH.....yuck.

So agree with your sentiment here. It's time for Maine projects like this to move toward a Rockies/Western inspired architecture with more open concept designs featuring raw materials and opening the interiors to more natural light and surroundings. This stuff is so dated and hideous....so much of this stuff on the North Shore and Southern NH.....yuck.
And yet the Rockies/Western style has been so overused in the west it has become nauseating.

Back