Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Keep ThEm Coming Corey !

A Healthy And Prosperous 2013 To Everyone

^Can do! Yes, Happy New Year to all. It's been quiet around here.

I was passing by here this evening so here's a quick shot of the Harborview Townhomes on York Street:

l9pj7.jpg

Here is some news about changes to the planning process...originally posted on munjoy hill news....

Jeff Levine, New Director City Planning Department, Leads Effort to Streamline Department; India Street Corridor to be Focus of Planning Study
Posted on January 6, 2013
Share this:

inShare
Email
Print

Jeff Levine, Not to be Mistaken for His Older Brother, Mike Levine, Acorn Productions, Founder

By Carol McCracken* (Post # 1,261)

When Jeff Levine started work this July as Director of the Planning & Urban Development Department, he was charged with*making the*building permit process*more timely and predictable he told mhn.com late last week in his city hall office.**”And technology is the way to correct these short term goals,” he said.

For years prior to Levine’s hiring, complaints about the slowness of the permitting process had led to comments that Portland*is *”anti-business.”* The slowness of the process was frustrating for those who have developments on their drawing boards – just waiting for the city to move on it.* A few years ago a report was comissioned by the city and one of the conclusions in it was that Portland performed*slower than its counterparts.

Several months prior to Levine’s employment, the city hired a consultant, Jared Clark, to meet with Department staff and recommend improvements to the process that’s in place.** As a result, one recommendation* already in place is the e Plan.* It provides all city employees involved an opportunity to review the proposed project on-line – in a parallel fashion rather than in a linear way – which can be very slow and time consuming for all.* According to Levine, this is in place and only fine-tuning remains to be done to make the system work efficiently.* Since Levine’s employment, Professor*Yuseung Kim at the Muskie Institute for Policy Study, USM,has been researching* three comparable size communities in New England to determine their turnaround time in issuing permits.* The communities are Portsmouth, NH; Burlington, VT; and Lowell, MA.* His report is expected*to be available the *end of this month.

Beside Levine’s short-term goals outlined above, are his long-term goals.* One study that has just been completed is the tranformation of Forest Avenue into more of a boulevard (similar to the Eastern Promenade on the Hill)* A second transformation study is*for the Spring Street area.*Recently, the city announced that the India Street 15-block neighborhood has been selected to take part in an innovative plannning project designed to make the community*more prosperous and enjoyable for*residents.* There will be a day-long neighborhood workshop held early this year during which data about the neighborhood and its capacity for future growth and change will be the focus.* It is one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods and until recently has*been ignored partly because of the poor*economy.* The India Street Neighborhood Association, founded by Joe Malone, has been instrumental in this renewed interest in the area.* Hugh Nazor, area resident, has been an effective spokesperson for the Association.

“It’s easy to get wrapped up in the minutae of the day,” said the low-key Levine. “But you can’t forget the long-term goals of which there are many.* You have to have a passion for city planning to be effective and willing to think long-term.* Portland has tremendous planning opportunities – many of them are being taken advantage of already.”* He clearly relishes the chance to be part of that planning.

According to Mayor Michael Brennan, the changes will be rolled out in a formal announcement in February.

Formerly, Levine was the head of the planning department for the City of Brookline, MA., which is primarily an affluent residential area.* He and his wife have two young children.

Yeah, that's the one. Again, though, I have to say that this is, in my opinion, not an indication that this project won't happen, just that it won't start construction this fall. That's entirely different from saying it's a done deal. The project is fully approved and sitting in an ideal location. Why build without a tenant? And if a tenant is lined up in the winter, you can't build (frozen). And then the spring is prime hotel season (don't want to ruin business for Hampton Inn). But, I wouldn't be surprised if the same or a substantially similar project commences sometime next year. Otherwise, all of the money spent thus far (including cost of land) is wasted. That's not good business. You will see a project here, but not one starting this fall. This was a world class proposal and I hope the developers come forward with these plans when a tenant materializes and a good construction schedule is available.

$500,000 is pricey, but it's ten times less (literally) than the cost of units proposed on the same site 6 years ago ($5 million Westin penthouse) and if you look at the cars in MiCucci's parking lot during the day, plus the proximity to the coolest neighborhoods/districts in Maine (Old Port, Downtown, and Munjoy Hill), plus waterviews and a top notch recreational trail, it starts to make a little more sense.

40 India St. project was officially cancelled as of last month. Residential part of the project was selling well, but retail and commercial did not sell at all. The land and the adjacent Hampton Inn have been sold, so it's unknown what, if anything, will go up on that lot.

40 India St. project was officially cancelled as of last month. Residential part of the project was selling well, but retail and commercial did not sell at all. The land and the adjacent Hampton Inn have been sold, so it's unknown what, if anything, will go up on that lot.

Thanks for the update. Whatever entity bought the property bought a fully permitted site. That's not to say it will get developed as permitted, but just something to consider. The site is too central not to be developed at some point.

The plans are out to the general contractors for the project at Pine & Brackett Streets. From what I saw, it is typical of today's city development. A wall of building right to the sidewalk, very few plantings, no grass. Retail at the corner of Pine & Brackett, and on the end on Brackett. Maybe everyone knows this already.

The plans are out to the general contractors for the project at Pine & Brackett Streets. From what I saw, it is typical of today's city development. A wall of building right to the sidewalk, very few plantings, no grass. Retail at the corner of Pine & Brackett, and on the end on Brackett. Maybe everyone knows this already.

Almost sounds like you don't like the attributes listed. Plantings and grass are great but a building wall along the sidewalk is best for pedestrians and creates a more urban feel as well as is in line with that area of town. Just some observations. Same developer as the condos on York street which are set back too far in my opinion.

I like the second rendering....its a good fit for the portland skyline....and it certainly improves on the current exterior of the building

Top of the east is gonna be pretty sick once it reopens double the size. High class high rollers like Patrick will have his own booth.

I like that they are addressing the 295 view of it cause frankly it looks like total shit right now.

I guess they're voting on the ballroom tonight in the plaza. Kevin Donahue already says no without seeing it because it's not what the people want. Guess the people want to continue nothing but drunken bums pissing in broad daylight and shopping carts all over instead Kevin, right?

Top of the east is gonna be pretty sick once it reopens double the size. High class high rollers like Patrick will have his own booth.

I like that they are addressing the 295 view of it cause frankly it looks like total shit right now.

I guess they're voting on the ballroom tonight in the plaza. Kevin Donahue already says no without seeing it because it's not what the people want. Guess the people want to continue nothing but drunken bums pissing in broad daylight and shopping carts all over instead Kevin, right?

Who exactly are "the people"????

I talked to three councilors that are in favor of developing the plaza. I think it will go through if the Westin meets some of the previous concerns and gives the homeless a little more land to hang out in!

I hope it does go through....it seems that people are concerned about the homeless population....how concerned could you be if u are only willing to give them a park to hang out in? It seems to me, if there was q true concern, there'd be more offered than a downtown park bench.
Let the westin have their ballroom, it will improve the area for everyone

Doesn't the Eastland already have a "ballroom"? Not dating myself, but my high school senior prom was there in the ballroom.

As far as the "drunken bums" go, I remain neutral on that.

Doesn't the Eastland already have a "ballroom"? Not dating myself, but my high school senior prom was there in the ballroom.

It does, but it's small by modern day ballroom standards (i.e. not suitable for conventions). I also recall mention of them using up some of the current ballroom as part of the lobby renovation.

I am a strong advocate for helping the homeless, but even I don't see the concern here. Homeless people will find a place to hang out, whether people like it or not. I think people are probably more concerned that removing their current "hang-out space" will push them into other more high-traffic areas. I doubt it. Most homeless like to hang in areas that not high-traffic. The current plaza is about as low-traffic an area as you'll find in Downtown Portland, hence the reason why it is a main hang-out space for the homeless.

I talked to three councilors that are in favor of developing the plaza. I think it will go through if the Westin meets some of the previous concerns and gives the homeless a little more land to hang out in!

Why aren't the homeless hanging out in shelters.......or Deering Oaks????

I hope it does go through....it seems that people are concerned about the homeless population....how concerned could you be if u are only willing to give them a park to hang out in? It seems to me, if there was q true concern, there'd be more offered than a downtown park bench.
Let the westin have their ballroom, it will improve the area for everyone

Amen!

People are so concerned about the homeless that they rush home to defend them with on-line commentary on the PPH website........in the comfort of their warm homes while they sip on hot chocolate. Talk (and typing) is cheap, homeless advocates!

Back