Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

It's hardly an architectural achievement, but here's another infill proposal for York Street from last night's planning board meeting.

It's next door to the just-completed townhomes project, on a lot that's set back from the street behind an existing brick apartment building (shown here). It would replace a duplex that's currently on the site.

y2QFgbY.png

^Looks like a good project for that small spot. I wouldn't mind having a house with one of those decks.

You can see the Courtyard by Marriott under construction on Commercial Street in these photos. The new Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room dining deck is in the foreground as well (shameless self promotion, one of my photos is the background image on their site).

67HkCdx.jpg

3USPEMJ.jpg

Somebody on a local restaurant website said they heard the word on the street is that legal seafood is looking at or going in the Marriott being built on commercial st. I love eating local too but I think it would be a huge statement to get them anchoring that end of commercial st

I went nuts on press herald today. Put every nimby and whacko on blast. Nobody was safe, not even old ladies, lol

Go to the congress square article and enjoy my destruction

The Press Herald poll showed that a majority favor the sale of the "park" and building the event center. I hope the City Council approves the transaction this evening, it may be a close vote.

And we have passage 6 to 3. Little shocked Duson went yay on this, I was ready to bash her. Nice work Jill.

The ones that voted no made very good points and were graceful knowing it was not going to pass.

And yes seeing that poll with a 1000 votes 55% in favor of selling was funny as hell considering the opposition kept saying it was 2 to 1 the other way.

The BDN article on it says el rayo will be incorporated and their owner went to meeting to speak in favor of

IF jB brown wants to build on the surface parking lots, he deserves kudos....there are far too many of them

Does anyone know what is happening with the proposed Redfern development on Pine and Brackett st?

Is it me or is all of the new stuff in Portland starting to look the same??? Boxy, corrugated metal, faux finishes.....yuck. I know that some of you hate brick.......but some of this new stuff is seriously starting to transform parts of Portland to U-G-L-Y.

Totally agree. We've gone from all brick to mixed brick to these crap looking places. Everybody is afraid to present something new. Hopefully Midtown shakes things up a bit.

Back