Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

West End Place

MsFoyWf.jpg

I just noticed a relatively large building going in next to Fournier's Fitness (the former Lifestyles) on Warren Ave. Apparently, it's EVOLUTION ROCK & FITNESS, a new 13,000 sq. ft. rock climbing gym. Right now, it's several stories of steel beams.

Mercry at the Fore master plan is going in front of the Planning Board tomorrow night. It looks like they're planning on building this campus out even more than previously proposed. They're filling in the wetlands, and it will include eight buildings if/when completed.

Plans are up on the Planning Board agenda site.

If this gets completed as planned along with Thompsons Point getting completed as planned, then this will be a very impressive gateway to the city while driving northbound on I-295.

^Thanks for the heads up. The hospital's plans look pretty impressive.

409 Cumberland Ave:

XjwxyEV.jpg

118 on Munjoy:

eftVFhm.jpg

Munjoy Heights:

Cn0vHXe.jpg

In regards to the Mercy Hospital expansion, I don't get it. They want to fill in wetlands with eight more buildings. Why not build 2 or 3 and make them taller, perhaps 10 or 15 stories, which would involve far less lateral movement for people, thus making it easier to access. (not to mention less development on the wetlands) And then there is also a building on the other side of the pond, which would have to be accessed by car? (you can't push someone outside in a wheelchair in January during a blizzard) What is the problem with people in this city?! Why is a tall building such a demonic idea? There is a reason why tall buildings are built all over the world... they are more efficient with space.

In regards to the Mercy Hospital expansion, I don't get it. They want to fill in wetlands with eight more buildings. Why not build 2 or 3 and make them taller, perhaps 10 or 15 stories, which would involve far less lateral movement for people, thus making it easier to access. (not to mention less development on the wetlands) And then there is also a building on the other side of the pond, which would have to be accessed by car? (you can't push someone outside in a wheelchair in January during a blizzard) What is the problem with people in this city?! Why is a tall building such a demonic idea? There is a reason why tall buildings are built all over the world... they are more efficient with space.

Nowhere in Portland are the NIMBY Height Haters more prevalent than in the West End. If you so much as mention the idea of blocking even single a millimeter of their beloved views, which they think they own, then they begin to crap rusty cast-iron kitchen sinks.

I despise the idea of filling in wetlands, except for when those wetlands were created in the first place by man-made land fill anyway. I think what they're planning there is a good fit for the location. A 10-15 story tower might be out of place there (I can't believe I just typed that). I doubt they'll build all of these buildings, though. This unprecedented surge in hospital construction and remodeling across the country and especially here in Maine will eventually come to an end as the ACA's grip and ultimate goal of reducing healthcare costs takes hold.

Thanks for the feedback, Dr. StrangeHat. Yes, I could see the West End people having a cow over the thought of a building blocking their precious views. However, wouldn't it be blocking a view of a sprawling oil storage tank farm and two freeways? Personally, I would like to look at the top part of a nicely designed hospital building, a hospital of which is in the business of saving lives. I'm into the logic and reason approach, not knee-jerk emotion.

I'm right with you on the highrise for Mercy. I think it would take away some of the mojo from Maine Med up there on the hill. But Strangehat is right, the views are already "owned" by the West Enders above, which I think is BS. I think a 10 story or less building shouldn't effect that cherished view too much.

Actually, I'm happy with the hospital spreading out horizontally rather than vertically seeing as they have the room; elevators create a bottleneck when time could be of the essence (as in moving patients around). It also appears that the other buildings are essentially going to be "medical office" buildings, much like the second building that's there now, not part of the core "hospital" and very possibly to be under separate ownership by the time everything shakes out. And the wetlands in question are an old gravel pit and the railroad's drainage ditch; they're not filling in the Scarborough salt marsh.

Just to touch on the "unprecedented surge in hospital construction" comment briefly, note that this project is actually to replace the existing Spring St. Mercy (which I somewhat hate to see as I was born there), which has long-since outgrown the neighborhood. Consolidation onto a single campus rather than two should reduce operating costs, and with Mercy now owned by EMMC and fully housed in a modern facility they should also become a more-significant competitor with Maine Health (MMC) in southern Maine.

This isn't a North Korean workers' dormitory, it's the new Graves Hill project (image from the Planning Board agenda). They're actually proposing two of these:

niqI3vB.png

For the record (and the Google search results) this is the work of Archetype Architects, David Lloyd and Bill Hopkins, principals. At least it's out in the woods by the abandoned landfill and the Falmouth town line.

Looks like the North Koreans will have to find another place to stay. From the Press Herald:

Portland council rejects changes to North Deering building plan

Councilors side with the Planning Board, saying the plan is inconsistent with the comprehensive plan.

BY KEVIN MILLER STAFF WRITER

The Portland City Council voted to reject proposed changes to a large residential development in the North Deering neighborhood, siding with a Planning Board determination that the proposal was inconsistent with the city’s comprehensive plan.

Ridge Development LLC had sought to amend a 2004 zoning agreement that, as originally approved, would have allowed the developer to build 98 residential units on 10 acres of land located at 800 to 828 Ocean Ave.

The company sought to reduce the number of units in the renamed Casco Heights condominium community from 98 to 96 and lower the maximum height of the buildings, but also significantly expand the footprint of the development. The revised project would feature one-, two- and three-bedroom units sold at market-price and would conserve 8 acres of open space.

While staff within Portland’s Planning Department recommended approval of the amendments to the 2004 agreement, the majority of members of the city Planning Board agreed with neighbors about the scale and compatibility of the revised project in a neighborhood that has changed since 2004.

Diane Doyle, representing Ridge Development, said the revisions were actually intended to make the project more attractive and environmentally responsible, pointing out that the original plan would have allowed her to cut down many more trees. But after a lengthy discussion, the City Council voted 5-4 to reject the requested changes.

Councilor Cheryl Leeman said she supported the controversial 2004 plan because of the concept of preserving open space. But she said the latest proposal was “clearly, clearly inconsistent” with the zoning.

But Nicholas Mavodones, who also served on the council in 2004, said he believed the Planning Board erred when it determined that the requested revisions were inconsistent with the city’s comprehensive plan. And while he said he understood the neighbors’ concerns about the impacts on their corner of the city, such concerns pop up any time major development projects are proposed.

“I think the amendments will (result) in a better project in the long run,” Mavodones said.

Councilors rejected Mavodones’ request to refer the issue back to the council’s Housing and Community Development Committee before voting to reject the proposed revisions.

118 on Munjoy Hill
ltaBG1q.jpg

West End Place
bBJ9CsG.jpg

Maine Med expansion
VOPL7tS.jpg

Commercial Street bike corral
nzb98Pa.jpg

Asked a worker today as rumors had been floating around bad it's true, rosemont market to go into west end place. That's huge, especially since I live 2 streets away!

^Good news, will be great to have a Rosemont on this side of town.

Maine Wharf:
VAgEzPV.jpg

Corey I see you everywhere and you loyally carry your camera at all times I see. Good work. Were you at tandem west yesterday ?

Hmm nope wasn't at Tandem yesterday. Might have walked by it though. Being car-free and living in downtown Portland means I spend a lot of time walking or bicycling aimlessly around the peninsula. Always have a camera with me, photography has become a profitable little side venture for my weekends.

West End Place:
j1heWa9.jpg

Munjoy Heights in the background (and this auto shop might become East Cove Townhomes)

rL8nRPO.jpg

Sheridan Street apartments:

unBEFN9.jpg

^That video was very well done. Sounds like a great organization to be involved with.

409 Cumberland Avenue:
RjXYawQ.jpg

Couple shots of the Casco Bay Lines terminal expansion, which I've been shooting for a client:
71HMuYM.jpg

ME3Nlff.jpg

Thanks for the update Corey! I thought the video was interesting too. I'm impressed.

IN REGARDS TO THE NEW OUTDOOR CONCERT PROPOSAL FOR THOMPSON'S POINT... In my opinion, this area is highly anti-climatic to an enjoyable public gathering in Portland. On one side is a freeway, on another jet aircraft landing and taking off, and on a third side (in addition to the other two sides) an odoriferous, muck-filled estuary. What would be a better idea for an outdoor venue, one in which the audience would have a much better time of it, is an outdoor venue next to Bug Light Park, of which I believe there is a proposal already. In addition, now that the oil transfer and storage facility in this area is going to be mothballed soon (see the corresponding PPH article), is it only my crazy imagination that an outdoor seating venue that lies next to one of the most dynamic harbors (and vistas) in the world not a good place to watch a concert? To alleviate traffic, many of the people can be ferried from the Maine State Pier to the other side, thus giving Portland's residents and tourists easy access to these summertime concerts. However, this might be too good and logical of a plan to be accepted. (yes, heavy sarcasm)

Back