Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Thanks, Matt. Is it just me or is it awful quiet around here now? I'll keep posting pictures of new construction for my own sake at least. Wonder where everyone has gone.

Avesta's 409 Cumberland Avenue:
iFdJzl6.jpg

b3jSLaV.jpg

West End Place:
6CUFm6G.jpg

nHNJYFw.jpg

Munjoy Heights:
FNVnZdO.jpg

Maine Medical Center expansion:
HtvvjcC.jpg

We are still here Corey and your stellar photos are always appreciated, thanks. Some of us may be taking a pause due to the uncertain progress of proposed developments like Midtown, the Westin Event Center and Thompson's Point.

Awesome as always Corey! Thanks again for the updates (especially of the Maine Wharf project - a close family friend owns the wharf and is financing the construction)

Nice photos Corey.
Every time I drive by the Intermed Building on Marginal Way and see the white window shades so randomly (some up, some down, some half way, some 1/4 way, etc.) all over the place it irritates me. I think it looks terrible and there must have been a better option that that.

I like that new CBL terminal! Glad to see it's open, apparently with little fanfare.

I like the idea behind the new CBL terminal, but without a cold weather vestibule, those 2 large entry/exit doors are going to keep the inside like a freezer in the winter. Boston's North Station has this shortcoming too. Why can't they see this?... and how about some warm colors on the walls?... and a nice gas fueled fireplace with seating in the middle? The first place that many visitors see is the transportation center. (airport, bus station, etc.) So that said, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. (if you want to see a well-designed public transportation waiting area, check out the Saco Amtrak station)

Last edited:
The Wall Street Journal looks at the Westin Harborview

Under the new owners, occupancy has been averaging around mid 60% this year, compared with low to mid 50% the last year it was open, Newcastle said. Last week, occupancy was 95%.

But perhaps the most noticeable change is the rooftop bar, known as the Top of the East, which offers panoramic views that on a clear day run as far as Mount Washington, about 80 miles away in New Hampshire.

The new owners doubled the size of the low-lit lounge, which offers snacks such as smoked swordfish bellies and panko-crusted goat cheese, to 2,000 square feet by incorporating areas that had been part of the roof.

New Castle President Gerry Chase is projecting revenue this year from the bar at $1.2 million, which would be more than double what it was before the renovation. April brought sales of $130,000, compared with previous years when that month had revenue of $15,000 or less, he says.

The bar's success is one reason the hotel's food-and-beverage revenue accounts for nearly half the property's overall revenue, Mr. Chase says.
(Link found at Portland Food Map.)

p-East_Cove_0.jpg

This would go at the bottom of East Cove Street, at Washington Avenue just under the "Munjoy Heights" project.

Beautiful! Those glass folding doors are what architects dream of being able to use on a project!

Nice work Corey, as always!

Cory, what a beautiful picture. The building really shines at night.

I had some criticism of the building, but after that picture, Corey, I concede none. I think that pic could be on the cover of Architectural Record.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks everyone. It looks great in person at night. I too am curious to know how they will handle the automatic opening doors when it's below freezing. I guess they will just have to keep the heat at full blast.

Munjoy Heights:
kELK9es.jpg

409 Cumberland Ave:
dp468pJ.jpg

I too am curious to know how they will handle the automatic opening doors when it's below freezing.

It's probably got an air curtain, which do a surprisingly good job at keeping temps stable, although there is the delicate balance between drafts and messing up peoples hair.

The new CBL glass walled waiting area has two regular hung doors, flanking the garage type doors in the center. These should allow people to pass in and out while keeping the large doors closed, and the waiting area warm in the winter.

Back