Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

grittys457 said:
Ahhh Patrick, you must read exactly what I said. The hippies are not here in Portland. The hippie hipster dufuses are. The plain old Phishhead hippies have been away for a while now. Now it's the shirt with some random shit on it, retro sneaks, corduroy pants(left over from regular hippie era), framed glasses stolen from the emo crowd, hair as messy as possible, girls wearing mismatched clothes riding old style bikes with baskets, nose ringed, getting breakfast at Big Mama's or Marcy's cause it's dirty, going to Geno's/White Heart/Amigo's, and last but not least rippin' cancer sticks till the cows come home.

Honest to God, is the overall smoking rate in Portland like 97%?
How many freaking heaters can one city's population burn through? I always laugh at these hipster dufuses, because they are like sooo like pro the environment, like save mother earth,.... but they treat their own bodies like a freaking toxic dump. Rippin butts, smoking the reef, chugging PBR tall cans, eating at Granny Burritos, not exercising(minus of course hacky sacking and ultimate frisbie).

And I know you are free to share your personal views, but you can limit your car to like say, five or ten bumper stickers? I mean, I could walk now and find in a few minutes at least 5 cars that have at least 10 or 20 bumper stickers on them. Yes yes, I know you don't like Bush. But you should like your car. In Boston I don't see these cars plastered with stickers. I'll see a car with one Kerry sticker on it. Even one "W with the line through it" should cover all the bases if that's how you feel. Free Tibet? Gee, I never thought of that until I read the sticker on your shitty volvo. I'll get right on that.

I feel better now.

I know the type. they are like trying to look like greenday or the cranberries and they wear non prescription eye glasses with thick black rims and listen to good charlotte etc and not that thats necessarily bad but they do everything to the extreme like if you walk by them theyll be like "hi mister!" in a really happy voice and when you roll your eyes at them they make you feel as if youre the weird one. the right word would be wannabe trendsetters i think. they think they're on the ginza in tokyo or on mtv england or something....jeesh i cant stand them either.

I am told that one of the major problems with the Westin Hotel/Condo project is that the City is insisting that the project has approx. 300 additional parking spaces (underground) for the project and the people financing the project can't/won't justify it (additional parking).
I am also told that if a major tenant is secured for the proposed 3PS that it will happen. I guess they have a fair amount of interest.

^ where have I heard that before? about the parking...was it a newspaper article? Or have you mentioned it before? Something sounds familiar about that but I cant remember where I first stumbled across that info.

But what strikes me as odd is the fact that the above article says quite plainly that the city is "at a loss" for why construction hasn't started yet. If it were about parking, don't you think the city officials would have just said so when asked? Like they did about the parking for cohen's project and like they did about the parking for the 8-story office building planned for marginal way?

Another thing that is strange to me is, if this really is about parking, then it makes very little sense to come at a time like this, because I just read an article the other day about how the city was trying to lower the number of required parking spots for commercial developments downtown (i think that article might be posted in this thread even).

The article about the westin mentioned that the P group was upset that liberty was trumpeting the 5 mill price tags of some condos, when in fact most people cannot afford that and that may have spooked the bank doing the financing (who wouldnt believe theyd get their money back). i think that sounds believable because i picked up a copy of PORTLAND magazine recently and the westin was being advertised in it with "only 60 units ranging from 500K - $2 million" but nothing about 5 mill. thats because the 5M would be from combining units, yet liberty implied that was the going rate for some to begin with.

development seems to be so tricky in this city and if the westin does not move forward, and the village at ocean gate has been so drastically scaled down, the city might as well kiss its desire to redevelop that part of town goodbye. prime opportunities are slipping away and the city is to blame most of the time.

on 3PS that is great news. If it is 10-stories as you said preliminary sketches show, i wonder if it will be taller in feet than the adjacent building, which is also ten floors? some height variability there would be nice, and the portland square next to it is already a short ten floors from middle street.

Portland: Zoning votes pending in biotech park project

PORTLAND ? The city's plan to develop a biotechnology office park on Rand Road is moving forward.

The City Council is scheduled to vote July 17 on required zoning changes. The proposal would rezone 6.5 acres from resource protection to office park and rezone 1 acre of wetlands from office park to resource protection, according to city documents.

The city's plan calls for six office park lots ranging from 2 to 9 acres and 9 acres of open space, including a public parking lot at the head of a recreation trail. The Planning Board has approved the proposal.

Patrick said:
^ where have I heard that before? about the parking...was it a newspaper article? Or have you mentioned it before? Something sounds familiar about that but I cant remember where I first stumbled across that info.

But what strikes me as odd is the fact that the above article says quite plainly that the city is "at a loss" for why construction hasn't started yet. If it were about parking, don't you think the city officials would have just said so when asked? Like they did about the parking for cohen's project and like they did about the parking for the 8-story office building planned for marginal way?

Another thing that is strange to me is, if this really is about parking, then it makes very little sense to come at a time like this, because I just read an article the other day about how the city was trying to lower the number of required parking spots for commercial developments downtown (i think that article might be posted in this thread even).

The article about the westin mentioned that the P group was upset that liberty was trumpeting the 5 mill price tags of some condos, when in fact most people cannot afford that and that may have spooked the bank doing the financing (who wouldnt believe theyd get their money back). i think that sounds believable because i picked up a copy of PORTLAND magazine recently and the westin was being advertised in it with "only 60 units ranging from 500K - $2 million" but nothing about 5 mill. thats because the 5M would be from combining units, yet liberty implied that was the going rate for some to begin with.

development seems to be so tricky in this city and if the westin does not move forward, and the village at ocean gate has been so drastically scaled down, the city might as well kiss its desire to redevelop that part of town goodbye. prime opportunities are slipping away and the city is to blame most of the time.

on 3PS that is great news. If it is 10-stories as you said preliminary sketches show, i wonder if it will be taller in feet than the adjacent building, which is also ten floors? some height variability there would be nice, and the portland square next to it is already a short ten floors from middle street.
I have been told by 2 different sources that the City is insisting on the additional underground parking. As you can imagine the underground parking is very, very expensive. The folks financing the project the project apparently can not justify the added cost which I am sure is substantial. Once again, it will be real shame if the Westin project dies. Why doesn't the PPH do an article on why nothing substantial can ever get built in this City/State except for SUPER WALMARTS!!
One of the parties interested in being the major tenant at 3PS is one of the groups that had committed to moving into Joe B's Lincoln Square tower before Baldscratchy killed that one.

Yes, I agree that the PH should do a story like that! Imagine how many eyebrows it would raise. If nothing else, it would at least make me feel as if I am not the only one who sees how shitty of a job this city does with developments and other projects. There was an article that came close to doing just that a while back where the lack of high rise development was attributable to a lack of community business leaders. It mentioned how all sorts of companies used to be headquartered in portland and led by local business men with ambition who pushed for the franklin towers to get built and who were instrumental in the 1980s high rise craze. now those headquarters have moved out of the city, like banknorth moved from portland to toronto after its merger with TD. now all we have is a weak-visioned city council and a bunch of contrasting public views that pull in multiple directions with the result that nothing meaningful occurs.

About the 3PS project, I heard that the major tennants for the boulos tower would have possibly been pierce atwood law firm and or TD banknorth, are either of these the company that you were talking about being interested in 3PS?

I wonder what the city would think if the westin said they were not going through with the project because of the parking spots? do you think the city would give in, or would they kill the roject and end up with nothing where there could have been something? if that happened, chances are that the zoning would revert back to the original 65 feet allowed, instead of the 95 foot special exception now being offered. that would be awful.

Patrick said:
Yes, I agree that the PH should do a story like that! Imagine how many eyebrows it would raise. If nothing else, it would at least make me feel as if I am not the only one who sees how shitty of a job this city does with developments and other projects. There was an article that came close to doing just that a while back where the lack of high rise development was attributable to a lack of community business leaders. It mentioned how all sorts of companies used to be headquartered in portland and led by local business men with ambition who pushed for the franklin towers to get built and who were instrumental in the 1980s high rise craze. now those headquarters have moved out of the city, like banknorth moved from portland to toronto after its merger with TD. now all we have is a weak-visioned city council and a bunch of contrasting public views that pull in multiple directions with the result that nothing meaningful occurs.

About the 3PS project, I heard that the major tennants for the boulos tower would have possibly been pierce atwood law firm and or TD banknorth, are either of these the company that you were talking about being interested in 3PS?

I wonder what the city would think if the westin said they were not going through with the project because of the parking spots? do you think the city would give in, or would they kill the roject and end up with nothing where there could have been something? if that happened, chances are that the zoning would revert back to the original 65 feet allowed, instead of the 95 foot special exception now being offered. that would be awful.
It's the law firm. Others are interested too, but I don't know who they are.
I have always been told that Portland is very difficult/frustrating to deal with as far as getting anything built/completed, etc. To many liberals to deal with if you ask me, who don't want to offend anybody by putting up a building higher than 8 floors near their neighborhood.
In response to your last question, I would imagine the City would just say, "it's our way, or nothing". When are you going to run for City Council Patrick?

portlandneedsnewarena said:
Patrick said:

I have always been told that Portland is very difficult/frustrating to deal with as far as getting anything built/completed, etc. To many liberals to deal with if you ask me, who don't want to offend anybody by putting up a building higher than 8 floors near their neighborhood.
In response to your last question, I would imagine the City would just say, "it's our way, or nothing". When are you going to run for City Council Patrick?

Honestly, after I look into it and what sort of campaign fund range we are talking about, it may very well be within the next three years. I dont think I am too young because there is an 18 year old high school senior (new grad now) on the westbrook city council.

I wonder why pierce atwood would want to move into 3PS if they currently occupy a ten story building as it is. what would be the benefit I wonder? Anyways, thats the law firm i hope to work for one day, so it would be interesting if they moved.

Patrick said:
portlandneedsnewarena said:
Patrick said:

Honestly, after I look into it and what sort of campaign fund range we are talking about, it may very well be within the next three years. I dont think I am too young because there is an 18 year old high school senior (new grad now) on the westbrook city council.

I wonder why pierce atwood would want to move into 3PS if they currently occupy a ten story building as it is. what would be the benefit I wonder? Anyways, thats the law firm i hope to work for one day, so it would be interesting if they moved.
Have you ever been in the building that they are in (other than the lobby)? It's nothing special, quite old and in need of a total interior retrofit job. I would say that Pierce Atwood being the firm that they are, they want a new upscale building to call home.

Portland: Panel to screen consultants for Bayside development

PORTLAND ? Several consulting teams have offered to help Portland officials develop six acres of former railroad land on Somerset Street in Bayside.

A selection committee will interview three of the teams on Thursday and hire one soon afterward, said Jack Lufkin, Portland's economic development director.

The city plans to sell the land, as a whole or in pieces, to developers who would build several office and/or retail buildings and a parking garage. The city is seeking a consulting team to figure out the best way to do that. The city received six bids, ranging from $518,000 to $1.8 million.

The three firms chosen to be interviewed fell in the middle: Harriman & Associates offered to do the work for $907,000, followed by Winton Scott Architects at $831,000 and Scott Simons Architects at $768,000, according to city documents.

Portland: Hospital makes changes to its planned campus

PORTLAND ? Mercy Hospital has made some changes to its planned campus along the Interstate 295 connector to Commercial Street.

The hospital's proposal, discussed Tuesday in a Planning Board workshop, now calls for an 80,000-square-foot medical office building on the north side of the campus rather than the center of the site.

The building will be owned by Landmark Inc., a medical office developer in Milwaukee, Wis., said Timothy Prince, Mercy's vice president of planning.

The building was moved to improve the campus layout, traffic flow and parking plan, Prince said. The $160 million project, to be built in two phases, is expected to be finished in 2012. The office building is part of the first phase, which includes a 137,000-square-foot short-stay hospital, to be completed by fall 2008, Prince said.

Portland: Planning Board reviewing proposal for Village Cafe site

PORTLAND ? The Planning Board began its review Tuesday of the latest scaled-down proposal for the Village Cafe site on the East End. Some members still have concerns about the project's size and design.

The proposal from GFI Residential of Boston now calls for 176 two-bedroom condominiums in four buildings. They would include four or five stories of living space above one or two parking levels, according to city documents.

The Village at Ocean Gate would cover two acres at Newbury, Hancock and Middle streets. It would include street-level commercial space for the restaurant and other enterprises.

GFI originally proposed five buildings ranging from six to nine stories and containing 250 condominiums.

Bayside project wins final approval
Avesta Housing has resurrected and redesigned its plan to build 115 homes where an industrial warehouse now stands in Portland's Bayside neighborhood.

Pearl Place is among more than $100 million worth of commercial and residential projects planned or proposed in a downtown neighborhood that city officials targeted for redevelopment six years ago.

The development, which received final approval Tuesday, will return multifamily housing to where many families lived before houses were torn down to make way for industrial development.

The new plan for Pearl Place, at 210 Pearl St., calls for two buildings with a total of 60 subsidized apartments along Oxford and Pearl streets.

The Planning Board unanimously approved a retooled proposal Tuesday evening that combines the first two phases of the project. Future phases would include as many as 40 market-rate condominiums and 15 additional apartments.

A year ago, the board approved a first phase that called for 30 townhouse-style subsidized apartments in two buildings on Oxford Street.

However, construction estimates came in $500,000 over budget, forcing Avesta to delay the project for a year and seek additional funding from the Maine State Housing Authority, said Jay Waterman, Avesta's development director.

Avesta then combined the project's first and second phases and redesigned the project to consist of conventional one-, two- and three-bedroom units. The state, in turn, doubled its low-income tax credit financing to $9.7 million, Waterman said.

"The idea here is to get better economies of scale," Waterman said.

Avesta plans to start building the redesigned project in October and complete it by November 2007.

Waterman said plans to build market-rate condos along Lancaster Street depend on whether the city is successful in relocating E. Perry Iron & Metal Co., a scrap-metal recycling yard. City officials are negotiating with the owners, said Jack Lufkin, Portland's economic development director.

A 2000 report identified the neighborhood's two metal scrap yards as "the single most inhibiting factor to the successful redevelopment of Bayside."

The report also called for the addition of 500 housing units in the neighborhood.

Financing for the $13 million project includes a $255,000 bank loan that will be repaid through the city's first tax break for affordable housing. Waterman said 70 percent of property taxes paid on the project will go toward paying off the loan over the next 20 years.

Rents at Pearl Place would be set at levels considered affordable for tenants with household incomes at 50 percent to 60 percent of Portland's median, according to Avesta's written proposal.

More than 80 percent of rental households in Portland have annual incomes below $37,500, making them potentially eligible for Pearl Place, the proposal said.

Rents would be $600 to $730 per month for a one-bedroom apartment, $730 to $875 for two bedrooms, and $850 to $1,000 for three bedrooms.

The three- to five-story buildings would have flat roofs, sliding glass doors to small balconies, brick and blue corrugated-metal siding, and steel mesh accents.

The project would have 60 parking spaces, a community room, a shared rooftop deck, elevators, laundry rooms and a wide variety of energy-saving building materials and amenities.

pearl_2.jpg

pearl_3.jpg

pearl_5.jpg

Mum?s the word on Westin condos
By Kate Bucklin
PORTLAND ? Vegetation grows around the vacant Jordan?s Meats building at the corner of India and Fore streets. At the front of the building, a local tagger has made his mark in large spray-painted letters.

On the Fore Street side of the building, dozens of no parking signs went up in recent weeks in an apparent attempt to dissuade free-for-all parking on the property.

But so far, there?s no sign of the proposed Westin Hotel & Residences, a $110 million development that won Planning Board approval in December. And with none of the principals in the project talking, there are questions about how soon the project may actually come to fruition.

Early on, the project was much hyped by its developers, the Procaccianti Group of Rhode Island and Maine businessman Michael Liberty. The partners unveiled their plans at a City Hall press conference in April 2005 and received a contract zone for additional height from the City Council last September.

Shortly after receiving Planning Board approval in December, the developers hosted an invitation-only reception for high-rollers interested in purchasing one of the 70 planned condominium units, with asking prices from $500,000 to almost $5 million. The project also was slated to included 229 hotel rooms, retail space and underground parking.

Representatives of the partnership, PME 1 Limited Partnership, said in December that the former meat factory would be torn down in January. In late March, Ralph Izzi, a spokesman for the Procaccianti Group, said the project was moving ?full force ahead? and that demolition of the factory would happen in a few weeks.

Now, as July nears, the developers aren?t saying anything. City officials will offer no clear information about the status of the project either, although a couple said they still expect it to eventually be built. Repeated attempts to contact Izzi have failed; he didn?t return a reporter?s telephone calls or e-mail messages. Procaccianti Executive Vice President Thomas Niles did not return a request for comment, nor did Andrew Bedard of the Liberty Group. A Liberty Group representative said all inquiries concerning the project should be directed to the Procaccianti Group. A call to the media relations department at Westin?s parent company, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, was not returned.

According to the city Inspections Department, there have been no requests for permits to begin work at the site. Although the contract zone for the property does not have an expiration date, the Planning Department said the approval granted on Dec. 13, 2005, by the Planning Board expires one year from that date. Developers have the option of requesting an extension, but must do so 30 days in advance.

The Procaccianti Group is developing a similar condo/hotel project, the Residences at the Westin and adjacent Westin Hotel in Providence, R.I., and is in the midst of a few other hotel and condominium projects in Providence, according to the Providence Journal.

The former Jordan Meats plant and its 1.2 acres are listed in city tax rolls as being owned by PME I, and is valued at $3.1 million. The partnership paid $6 million for the land and building last September.

The hotel and condos were scheduled to open next summer, but as the weeds thicken around the former hot dog factory ? with no sign of demolition or construction ? that goal seems unlikely to be met.

Village condo plan draws mixed reviews
By Kate Bucklin
PORTLAND ? Planning Board members offered a variety of suggestions Tuesday afternoon, as they got their first official look at the scaled-back plans to build 176 condominium units, restaurant and retail space at the Village Cafe site in the East End.

GFI Partners of Boston met with the Planning Board for a workshop session to discuss their request for a conditional zone for the current site of the Village Cafe and a lot across Newbury Street from the restaurant. The developer wants to change the zone to B-5b, which would allow relaxation on the density allowed, building height, parking requirements and some setbacks. The land is currently zoned B-2b.

The Village at Ocean Gate would be built in two phases. Phase one would include development of the Village Cafe site into two, five to six story buildings containing a total of 110 condominium units and garage parking for 147 vehicles. Commercial space, including a spot for the Village Cafe, is proposed for the first floor on Middle Street.

Phase two includes two residential buildings with 66 units each, and a parking level for 45 vehicles.

Planning Board members were concerned about the height of the buildings, the lack of public space and the scale of entrances.

Board member Shalom Odokara said she was concerned about how the buildings would cast shadows on the neighborhood, and of mass of the buildings being proposed.

The height of the buildings would vary and, according to documents from Planning Department staff, top out at nearly 80 feet. The plan calls for four to five floors of residential units, on top of two levels of parking.

The board requested project architect David White provide 3D models of the buildings and the surrounding neighborhood so they could better visualize the massing of the buildings. Demitrios Dasco, the managing partner for the project, said they would provide a shadow study as well.

?I think it looks a lot better. You?ve made good progress on it,? board Chairman Kevin Beal told the developer. But he added that it seemed some important details were missing from the proposal, including an analysis of the conditional rezoning standard and why GFI meets the requirements.

?I felt somewhat handicapped today reviewing this,? said Beal.

The workshop Tuesday was the fourth workshop the Planning Board has had with GFI since October, when a much more grand plan was submitted. Since then, GFI has scaled back on both the number of buildings and the height. The developer also changed architects, replacing local firm Winton Scott with New Hampshire architect David White.

Planning Department staff is working with GFI to come up with an appropriate color scheme for the brick buildings. The developer is currently considering three different shades of brick for the four buildings in an attempt to break up the monolithic feel. The top floors of the buildings would be banded in copper, zinc or a ?patina copper.?

?Our goal is to break up the massing and give an appearance of more than one building,? Dasco explained.

Another issue staff and some board members had was the size and placement of entrances. Planner Carrie Marsh said the entrances did not fit the scale of the large buildings. Board members agreed the entrances should be more prominent.

Board member David Silk said he would like the developer to work on the public space currently proposed. The plan calls for public space in front of the proposed retail space on Middle Street but Silk questioned if that was really public. There was originally a stairway from Middle Street leading to the plaza planned for the top of the parking garage, but that was taken out in this most recent plan.

?We?re trying to create a private terrace for people there,? Dasco said. ?We don?t want public access to the private terraces of residents on the first floor.?

The role of the Planning Board in conditional rezoning requests is to hear the request and then make a recommendation to the City Council, who decides whether the rezoning should be granted. If the council approves the request, the project returns to the Planning Board for the normal planning process.

nice shot of the building that the westin will be across from. think it will be taller than this one though? the renderings dont make it look that way.
100midb.jpg

the blue cross portland branch on free street just went on the market tonight i heard it on the news and they said they might be selliing it instead of leasing it which means that techinicalllyyy it couls be sold and demolished and built into somethigngf new....watch this..

Hey Patrick, are you referring to that light colored three or four story (I forgot) building that says "Anthem" right above the main entrance? The reason I'm asking is because my friend's dad used to work there until about 2 years ago when they moved him into that larger Anthem Blue Cross building in South Portland.

S-Roll said:
Hey Patrick, are you referring to that light colored three or four story (I forgot) building that says "Anthem" right above the main entrance? The reason I'm asking is because my friend's dad used to work there until about 2 years ago when they moved him into that larger Anthem Blue Cross building in South Portland.

yes, apparently they are consolidating their branches in portland and placing everyone in the larger south portland facility. That is the building I was referring to.

OOB hotel moves ahead

Old Orchard Beach developer Tim Swenson has reached an agreement with Guilford Rail System that would allow him to build a 100-room hotel straddling the train tracks in the center of town.

Though he still has other hurdles to clear, both Swenson and town officials had previously said that making a deal with Guilford Rail for air space above the tracks would be one of the project's biggest challenges.

Swenson said the Massachusetts-based rail company signed a purchase-and-sale agreement with him last week, though he would not disclose what he offered to pay for the air rights above the 350-foot section of train tracks near West Grand Avenue.

"I made them a good offer and they accepted it," said Swenson, who expects to close the deal in August. No one from Guilford Rail was available for comment Monday.

Swenson, a local developer, is already building the $20 million Grand Victorian condominium project downtown and hopes to complete that by early 2007.

For his next venture, he is proposing a $50 million hotel with up to nine stories and a 450-car parking garage near the intersection of Old Orchard Street and West Grand Avenue. The structure would be built over the rail line with a tunnel for trains to pass through.

Swenson has yet to submit plans for the project, which would require a contract zone because of its height. He also needs to reach an agreement with the town to buy air rights over a public bathroom on West Grand Avenue.

Swenson said he hopes to begin construction in the fall of 2007. But Old Orchard Beach Town Manager Jim Thomas cautioned that things may not move that quickly.

He said Swenson's negotiations with Guilford Rail have gone better than he expected, but the project is still far from becoming a reality. Town officials have seen sketches of the project, but have not yet received detailed plans, he said.

For the hotel to be built, Thomas said, Swenson would have to buy a town-owned easement along the railroad, a transfer that voters would have to approve through a referendum. The town Planning Board, the Town Council, affected business owners and the public would also have to support the project.

Thomas said he had no reason to think any of those groups would want to block the hotel, but reaching consensus is usually a slow process.

"From discussions I've been part of, I think there's a common vision," he said. "But there was a common vision on the Grand Victorian and that's taken us three years."

Swenson said he already has the support of one contingent, noting that he has initial agreements with close to half-a-dozen businesses within the hotel's footprint. In exchange for permission to build over these establishments, the developer said he would provide them with new retail space.

Drove down Spring st. today and I got to thinking. With Blue Cross leaving it's building, and the YWCA next door leaving, that's a lot of space next to the original CCCC and it's garage. Just thinking.

Thanks for the OOB article Patrick. It seems as if they are heading in the right direction. Back in late May I read an article in the Maine Business Newspaper about its town manager (Jim Thomas) and I guess he is very pro-development and pro-business. My memory is kind of fuzzy but it also mentioned a proposed 5 story condo building and some more retail space. Of course, the article noted that there are some "hippies" who are concerned about this development ruining the town's character.

Zoning proposal draws criticism

By KELLEY BOUCHARD, Portland Press Herald Writer

Copyright ? 2006 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

The owners of a prominent Portland waterfront business are criticizing a zoning proposal that would allow a hotel to be built on the city-owned Maine State Pier.

Christopher DiMillo, a manager of DiMillo's Restaurant and Marina, said the zoning proposal would allow the city to work with the same developer who had wanted to build a hotel on the marina's 3-acre parking lot on Commercial Street.

City officials refused to consider a similar zoning change for the DiMillos' property, he said.

A Portland official involved in waterfront zoning and development issues disputed that the city had any knowledge of or acted against the DiMillos' interests.

The zoning proposal would allow nonmarine development near the Maine State Pier and the Ocean Gateway cruise-ship terminal, which is under construction next door.

The Planning Board starts reviewing the proposal today in a 3:30 p.m. workshop in Room 209 at City Hall. A public hearing and board vote is scheduled for July 25, followed by a City Council vote on Aug. 7.

If the zoning is approved, the city is expected to issue a request for proposals to lease and redevelop the pier, said Councilor James Cloutier, chairman of the council's community development committee. Until recently, the pier was used for shipbuilding and other industrial marine projects by Bath Iron Works and Cianbro Corp.

The zoning proposal would create the Eastern Waterfront Port Zone, where a variety of commercial uses would be allowed as long as they don't displace marine uses, especially deep-water industrial uses.

The change would fulfill the goals of the Eastern Waterfront Master Plan, which was drafted several years ago to allow mixed-use development and still protect the working waterfront.

DiMillo's is in the central waterfront district, where the city recently approved zoning rules that allow greater nonmarine development but exclude hotels.

DiMillo said Ocean Properties Ltd., one of the companies interested in developing a hotel on the Maine State Pier, had been talking with his family for the last two years. DiMillo said that interest evaporated when, during unofficial talks, city officials refused to make needed zoning changes. DiMillo wouldn't say exactly whom he spoke with, only that they were city councilors and administrators.

"The city stole the opportunity for us to develop a hotel on our property," DiMillo said Monday. "They are cherry-picking the development down there. We deserve the same development opportunities that the city has."

Cloutier, a leader in recent waterfront zoning changes, said he had no such conversation with the DiMillos and questioned whether any other Portland official did. He noted that Ocean Properties probably would be among several bidders for a lease on the Maine State Pier, and that any redevelopment of the pier would require costly structural and public-access improvements.

Based in Portsmouth, N.H., Ocean Properties develops and operates hotels across the United States, including the Samoset Resort on the Ocean in Rockport and the Golden Anchor Inn in Bar Harbor. Its principal owner is Bangor native Thomas Walsh. Robert Baldacci, brother of Gov. John Baldacci, is the company's vice president of development.

Robert Baldacci admitted "casual conversations" with the DiMillos but denied seeking a zoning change to build a hotel on the DiMillos' property.

"That is the farthest thing from the truth," Baldacci said. "We've talked to a lot of property owners on the Portland waterfront. We've had a long-term interest in Portland."

Baldacci called the zoning proposal for the Maine State Pier "well crafted" and said his company would consider submitting a proposal at the appropriate time.

I'm back! What's been going on in Portland lately? I read some of the previous posts.....didn't see much on Waterview, Graves Hill or Chesnut street...any updates?

Back