Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

I agree Allagash, and I miss this building more than Union Station probably due to it's downtown location.

Here's a preliminary sketch for 62 India Street, which would replace Port City Glass and the surface parking lot next door. The application says it's 29 apartments and 3 new storefronts facing India Street, with a single-level parking garage taking up the rest of the ground level behind the retail space.

Thanks for the head's up on this. Indeed this would be a great addition to the India Street corridor. Walking around there the other day it occurred to me that the street, like so much of the city, would benefit aesthetically from having the overhead wires put underground. I know it's expensive but man would the town look better without all those poles and wires overhead.

I also see from the other historic preservation board documents that the proposal for the Asylum has changed pretty dramatically. I think this new direction looks a little out of place with that big illustration of a guitar player on the side of the building. It reminds me of the kind of "House of Blues" venues that have proliferated in cities but which have a very gimmicky, chain, corporate feel to them.

I do think the proposal for fixing up the Fore Street garage facade looks pretty good.

Can't forget this Gem that was torn down for a parking lot.

1964.jpg

What a beauty, I can't believe it was torn down. That's Tommy's Park now, right? So it was a parking lot before being turned into the park?

I do think the proposal for fixing up the Fore Street garage facade looks pretty good.

Agreed, but my only concern is the use of the stainless steel mesh screen. Even though it's stainless steel, didn't they use the same thing on the Ocean Gateway parking garage? That's all rusted now thanks to Portland's abundance of salty ocean air.

Max, that park is called Post Office Park with Tommy's Park across the street where Mark sells his hot dogs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the old post office was damaged beyond repair by fire not torn down arbitrarily. There were also development proposals previously for Tommy's park nearby but they were ugly...

Max, that park is called Post Office Park with Tommy's Park across the street where Mark sells his hot dogs.

I didn't realize it was two separate parks, I always thought it was one contiguous park (Tommy's) bisected by Exchange Street. Now knowing that it was formerly a post office (thanks Patrick) on the site between Exchange and Market, the name Post Office Park makes a lot more sense!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the old post office was damaged beyond repair by fire not torn down arbitrarily. There were also development proposals previously for Tommy's park nearby but they were ugly...

From looking into it more. I read that the building was actually meant to be built in the south and designed as such. The structure was made out of Marble which is not conducive to our salt climate and the exterior was deteriorating pretty bad. The government to help portland after the great fire of 1866 had the post office built here instead of down south.
Your probably right Patrick that it was beyond repair or the repairs were expensive and they would rather tear it down since that was how things were in the 1960's.
I had assumed since it was torn down for progress because of the time it was torn down.
Either way it was a beautiful building.
I do think that the park is a great fit for the area and gives the city a nice urban oasis. I wouldn't want to lose it, so not a total loss.

J.B. Brown's 101 York Street:

F3ygEkb.jpg

vemoyBb.jpg

667 Congress Street (Redfern Properties)
5yUs33q.jpg

Bangor Savings Bank on Marginal Way
xCGaBsf.jpg

Across the street:
00U9yGQ.jpg

Thank you for the update Corey. It seems like they are wasting no time putting these buildings (especially 667 Congress) up in this white hot market. I also found another proposed development when I was checking out the Portland Planning board site - a 7 story building near Marginal Way. Let the good times roll!

Thank you for the update Corey. It seems like they are wasting no time putting these buildings (especially 667 Congress) up in this white hot market. I also found another proposed development when I was checking out the Portland Planning board site - a 7 story building near Marginal Way. Let the good times roll!

Shazbat, can you provide any details on the 7 story near marginal way or maybe a link?

Newbury's on the other side of town from Marginal Way; this project would be at the dead end next to Franklin.

I like this proposal better than the last one that was proposed for this site (the picture is in this forum someplace).

I don't get much time to get into Portland, so thank you for the update cneal!

Some stuff from this weekend...

667 Congress St.
BENJgrd.jpg

101 York St.
tXAsq4T.jpg

113 Newbury St.
HzKVxWJ.jpg

185 Fore St.
xdmJ0hQ.jpg

YLrty1B.jpg

Bayside Anchor
7eW6BOx.jpg

89 Anderson St.
iqgG7nT.jpg

BtxDLsB.jpg

Thanks for the update! It's nice to see these projects moving right along.

Heard from a source that plans for the parking lots part of Portland Square are moving forward. No specifics.

Back