Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Looks like Archetype is working on a new website:
https://susan-geffers.squarespace.com/

And it's got renderings of the 7-story residential building they're designing for 208 Fore St. – next to the former Benkay parking lot:

x6DpXFa.jpg

Fore Street perspective, looking east from Sebago Brewing Co.:
BasdPu0.jpg

Great find! First I've heard of 208 Fore Street. Their map also indicates they're designing 70,000 sq. feet of office and parking at 100 Fore Street, which helps explain their recent request for a heigh variance. It seems to me like the 144 Fore Street building is going to get oddly pinned in between two taller structures (WEX and 100 Fore).

Randy Billings reports that the developers of the Rufus Deering site plan to begin construction this fall:

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/06...ing-on-commercial-street-hotel-condo-project/

Let the good times roll! Anyone know what is going on with the former Benkay building at Commercial and India? It needs demolished or a brick exterior makeover, with all of the new construction in the area it's becoming an eyesore.

With respect, but IMHO this city needs more brick like we need a hole in the head.

The old Benkay building was approved under the historic preservation board a couple years ago for a renovation, which would have refreshed the historic wood clapboards. Obviously that hasn't happened yet –*maybe they're waiting on a tenant.

Something else to keep an eye on:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/business/what-is-yield-curve-recession-prediction.html

If these projects can get a construction loan and break ground soon, they'll probably become real. But I'm betting that the window of opportunity is closing, and a lot of these projects won't make it.

I totally agree with the brick and granite saturation in Portland, but the building looks like it belongs on Topsham's Main Street with a general store as a tenant. And in regards to the article, hopefully the Rufus Derring, Fisherman's Wharf and the Shipyard projects can beat the potential downslope.

Looks like Archetype is working on a new website:
https://susan-geffers.squarespace.com/

And it's got renderings of the 7-story residential building they're designing for 208 Fore St. – next to the former Benkay parking lot:

x6DpXFa.jpg

Fore Street perspective, looking east from Sebago Brewing Co.:
BasdPu0.jpg

This looks a bit too high for the zoned height of that area, which I believe is either 55 or 65 feet. I have mixed feelings about the design, I think it contrasts a bit too much with the buildings around it.

They gave Fore Street, Hancock and Franklin higher building heights when they wrote the new "form-based" zoning code a few years ago – basically yielding to the precedent of the huge Ocean Gateway garage. The zoning allows buildings up to 77' high if their project includes a green roof, higher-density apartments or a ground-level pedestrian passageway.

A shot (May 5) of the AC Hotel near Ocean Gateway. If the location inspired the architects to use stainless steel shingles as an homage to fish scales, I think they pulled it off.
FVmETxE.jpg

been wondering about this project...looks really good...thanks for sharing...Happy 4th to all

The one thing I don't like about the stainless steel shingles on the AC Hotel is that when the sun is hitting them at just the right angle it's blinding!

Have faith in the planning process!!! We all know this design will change a few times before it is done being put through the ringer.

It appears work has begun on the Brown Street parking garage.

IMG_2376.jpg

Thanks for the update Max. Knew the groundbreaking was getting close, but I never seem to be driving or walking on Cumberland Ave.

Anyone know what's going on with 220 Washington Ave? Haven't seen a trace of activity there.

Anyone know what's going on with 220 Washington Ave? Haven't seen a trace of activity there.

I suspect that, like several other projects around town that have received approvals but that have yet to break ground, the developers are looking for funding and/or reassessing the financial feasibility of the project.

I suspect that, like several other projects around town that have received approvals but that have yet to break ground, the developers are looking for funding and/or reassessing the financial feasibility of the project.

It does seem like residential construction has slowed down a bit around the city. Not that growth isn't solid but we might be past the fever-pitch of building we saw in 2016-17

Back