Portland Museum of Art Expansion | Portland

“For the past year, we have fully committed to an extensive civic process in good faith with the city of Portland, adhering to all regulations, and fully agree with the decision made by the Portland City Council. This appeal questions the judgment of our elected officials and will also impose a significant financial and human resource burden on the city of Portland. The PMA remains committed to our mission of being an open, accessible, inclusive and welcoming museum for everyone.”

This overly paid director might be aggressive and arrogant, but maybe he knows something we don't. Perhaps they have unearthed something like the artifacts they display, something embarrassing about Portland's past with its de facto prejudice against some peoples. I wouldn't mess with him. He's Ivy league and has many Left leaning friends in high places. I do know that the city wanted to bulldoze the Abyssinian House years back, to make way for a gas station. And I'm betting the record with the Wabanaki Indians has some indiscretions too. Face it. Maine has a regretful past with a few ethnic groups, and the director, et al, wants to build a monument to give these people a voice (though ostensible). In the 1920s, Maine had the highest national per capita rate of inclusion in the KKK party. My mom told me this and I didn't believe it until I looked into it myself. GPL could be opening a can of worms with this lawsuit. The museum does acquire photos--it's what they do. Not everything needs to be preserved, and lately we've been seeing some of it come down (The Confederacy). Yes, indeed it could be time to make more popcorn. Maybe it will all be on 60 Minutes one day. It made the Boston Globe a couple of weeks ago.

Back