Portland Renderings

TheForeFrontRender032812WEB.jpg

Lots of good stuff. I especially like the Woodford's Corner rendering--simple improvements that go a long way. What is the proposal for the addition at the Eastland?

Eastland is changing franchises to a Westin and is doing a whole makeover and expanding the rooftop cocktail lounge significantly. They also want to build a function hall and ballroom dance area on a park that is currently underutilized, and that's what is shown in the rendering. This caused a huge stir at the public meeting however because people are shortsighted and stop thinking rationally when they hear 'public space' is being done away with (without considering that the biggest public space, i.e. streets, is actually detracted from when there is no streetwall along it).

Thanks for the rendering, and for the write up on the conference. I hope you enjoyed, as I know I did. I think the opportunities to continue to discuss this topic within the broader network of real estate professionals (beyond urbanists) will only continue to mount. This presentation may have been a starting point for that process. I look forward to attending the street car session next week as an important next step discussion of the nuts and bolts of how to make urbanism work (now that it is generally understood by many people that it should work).

I seem to recall some more detailed renderings at the MEREDA conference for the W. Commercial Street property, have you seen those available anywhere? Also, I often wonder if this is the same project from 2005 which has just moved down the block. Same developer, same street, same building size. Is there an anchor tenant or tenants yet? It looks less suburban than I initially thought it would, which is great for this important gateway. I don't know what the market for al-fresco dining (or restaurant of any sort) is in this disconnected area/site, but the tables look nice too. Have you all seen the latest renderings for the Portside Phase II (Jordan's Meats)? Some minor tweaks were incorporated recently, and the project massing refined a bit. Looks great. On file in the planning department. Maybe online but haven't seen yet. I have one in my email and will try to post if I have time.

Love the architectural effort that was made on the Middle Street facade. Gives the appearance of four separate structures which will really enhance the streetscape views in that area. Kudos to the developer!

Phase II of Jordan's is flawless for that size. Yes it's the same old Portland brick but they've don't all the aspects around it right. Love the look of the ground floor retail. Really seperates it from the rest of the building.

And yes the other drawing from a few years ago for commercial street was similar but better in my opinion. Why they wouldn't just build this project on the dirt lot next to baxter place, I have no idea.

Phase II of Jordan's is flawless for that size. Yes it's the same old Portland brick but they've don't all the aspects around it right. Love the look of the ground floor retail. Really seperates it from the rest of the building.

And yes the other drawing from a few years ago for commercial street was similar but better in my opinion. Why they wouldn't just build this project on the dirt lot next to baxter place, I have no idea.

Think brick and this scale is perfect for this neighborhood. Small infill projects (I mean low-rise when I say small) should fit in. It’s the high rises that should be iconic, in my opinion. Also, I really like how this project meshes the contemporary door element on Middle with the homage it pays to historic structures across the street. I think what you’ll find when it’s built is that the “room” of middle street (formed by the two street walls) will become one of the most active streetscapes and public spaces in the City (more like an Exchange or Fore Street is now). With any revisions to Franklin, this will just extend the Old Port (what the City’s known for). I think we still need some iconic high-rises, and there has been some talk about pushing the envelope on the zoning at Thompson’s point to create a dramatic gateway to the City. I’d be all for a 30 story building in Bayside, all for it. Modern, glass, anything. Same for Top of the Old Port and next to the Court.

edit ^ I should add that I agree with both previous posts. Also, the developer told me the massing differentiation was intentionally done with the idea of creating the illusion you referenced, Portlander (four distinct buildings). I agree great job on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just seeing the Middle Street side of that Jordan's Phase II project for the first time and am very impressed. I've been wary of how most new buildings take up entire city blocks, and although this also appears to be one big building it does so tastefully by breaking up the facade into more pleasant and human-scaled proportions. This design is great and I think it will be a perfect fit for the neighborhood. I wouldn't mind living in one of those units with a deck.

The massing of the alternate plan seems much stronger. I can imagine walking along Chestnut Street with the towers framing the city beyond, and being very pleasant. The alternate plan seems to provide much more of a focal point and a sense of place to the area along Chestnut Street, with the "current plan" being a bit more spread out than ideal.

Mike I entirely agree. But most people don't. The thought is that the alternate plan would block city hall--even though at least some of the reason for this neighborhood's plan is to create a new view--and the current plan would block Franklin towers which most people think is ugly but I think adds to the city from a skyline perspective at least. Good summary of my thoughts by you. Chestnut being framed is actually specifically spoken to in the plan, which calls it kennebec plaza at that point in the road, which shops and cafes are supposed to surround, not a garage.

Also another thing is that the project probably won't be built as envisioned here. This is a master planning process that will permit just about anything up to and including what is shown but that doesn't mean that will be built. Part of the question is what happens if just one tower gets built. Where would it work best. The current plan puts it closer to whole foods.

Back