Portland's North Side Storage Conduit - CSO.

Gervs

Reaction score
While the construction was mostly out of site (underground) the project should not be out of mind. This was a great victory for Portland, cleaning it's waterways and bay. I don't believe anyone made a post on the NSSC, so here it is. Please feel free to share any other info or photos.

From the Portland Press.
March 26, 2013
Project marks milestone for cleaner Back Cove

PORTLAND — City officials and environmentalists marked a milestone Monday in Portland's efforts to reduce the amount of raw sewage discharged into Back Cove.

Portland Mayor Michael Brennan, representatives from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, the city’s Department of Public Services, Friends of Casco Bay, and the Casco Bay Estuary Partnerships were on hand to mark the milestone.

One tank is being installed under Baxter Boulevard and another is being placed beneath Payson Park. The tanks will store the sewer and storm water until it can be pumped the East End Treatment Plant to be treated.

The project is part of a multi-year plan ordered by the federal government to reduce the number of combined sewer overflows in the city, which discharge raw sewage into nearby waterways during rain storms.

From 1993 to 2010, the city has spent $100 million to reduce annual sewer overflow volumes by 42 percent from 1993 levels of 720 million gallons to 420 million gallons.

The city recently adopted a plan to invest $170 million to further reduce sewer overflow volumes to 87 million gallons annually. This plan is set to begin in 2014.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The project is now complete with the plan of building another storage conduit in 2016. Below are some photographs I took, all images are © copyrighted Gerv 2014. Here's to a cleaner back cove, cheers!

Below is a draft for tier III. (the next phase) The north side storage conduit is not marked on this draft. I will dig that up next.

Excellent photos Gervs. They look like stills from an Alien-ish movie.

Thanks for sharing these, Gervs. That huge reduction in sewer overflow volumes from 720 million in 1993 to just 87 million once completed is quite impressive. It's easy to take this work for granted when it happens underground, invisible to most people.

My only regret regarding the CSO work last summer is that I never got a pic of the old-school "$100 Fine for Dumping Rubbish" sign that was removed during the project. But the work itself apparently came out great; you'd never know it was under there.

I remember when they first built the "Fore River" pumping station in the mid 70's; the piles supporting the walls of that tank are probably as long underground, if not longer, than the sides of the tank itself. It'll be interesting (aka nostalgic) to see it happening again for the new storage tank they're proposing.

Back