Portsmouth

Re: map!

goody said:
Blue are green lighted projects, or ones which are still under going approval the two are Bow street I think got the go ahead, the small one at the end of the ally I am not so sure about they wanted to expand there building out to fill that little parking lot and add cafe space.
Portsmouthconmap-2.jpg

Are the Bow St projects where they want to build a 6 or 7 story addition?
Thanks for the map and detail. A lot has and will go on in Portsmouth.

Nice Map, but what are the little blue circles?

My only wish is that they would go up in height. 50 foot ordinance in Portsmouth just knocks the wind out of you!

The crazy part is that they want to lower it to 40 feet along the waterfront!

Pricey Dover waterfront condos not for the average buyer

By JEREMIAH ROOD
Democrat Staff Writer

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the first in a series of stories Foster's Daily Democrat will publish examining Dover's waterfront development.

DOVER ? Dickinson Development Corp.'s waterfront plans are built on a foundation of high-end residential housing units expected to sell for a much greater amount than the current Dover market sees.

While the city's consultant, Barry Abramson, studied the feasibility of Dickinson's plan and found it to be a reasonable one as initially proposed, the city says further work needs to be done to determine the viability of the newest plan. Dickinson's firm says there is a market.

Abramson drafted a report outlying his conclusions in August; a further draft was never written but one is in the works. The August report was based on Dickinson's initial design, which included different elements, such as a marina, but the same amount of housing.

While Abramson's report finds the overall project "reasonable," it does raise some concerns about the plan to develop condominium units priced at more than $400,000. Dickinson's proposal is to bring a mix of residential, retail, office and restaurant space to the 30-acre city owned waterfront parcel.

The current draft of the proposed development still includes the roughly 180 residential units, but their makeup has changed and the price has gone up. The plan now includes townhomes, condos and flats, which will range in price from $379,000 to $700,000.

The prices have been somewhat lowered.

During an interview at Foster's Daily Democrat last week, Mark Dickinson, company president, said the condos would start in the $400,000 range but during a phone interview today Dickinson said the price was $379,000. Dickinson said the earlier reporting of figures was incorrect.

"The residential pricing of $265 per square foot is a reasonable estimate, but one subject to considerable deviation," the August report said. "This is because, despite a thorough investigation of the local and comparable markets, only relatively indirect market comparables with prices ranging well above and below the estimated level were uncovered."

Abramson's report noted that should pre-selling the units not achieve the targeted prices, "the development could be delayed or abandoned with the loss only of up-front risk capital." On the upside, if prices come in much "significantly above" there is a possibility of considerably enhanced profits.

According to the city's assessing office, the average assessed value of condominiums in the city is increasing, but has yet to top $200,000. The most current data comes from 2007, where the average condominium rings in at $175,326.

Abramson's report notes Dickinson's condo prices are "well above the prior top of the market in Dover."

Dickinson's firm studied the area and found there to be a market for this level of construction and cost, although firm president Mark Dickinson agrees there is currently nothing comparable in the city of Dover.

"We are definitely creating a market," Dickinson said.

Dickinson said there is currently a market for these sort of units in other places, such as Portsmouth, and with the amenities of the river and downtown one will be viable in Dover.

Dickinson's target market are so-called "empty-nesters" and aging baby boomers who make $75,000 per year. Dickinson said these will likely be people already living in Dover or not so far away, who are looking to downsize.

While the market and financial analysis section of Dickinson's request for proposal submission is considered confidential, another separate marketing section is available to the public.

"It appears from our market research that the growth in our target market in a 15-mile radius of Dover between 2005 and 2010 is 4,355 households," Dickinson's submission said. "These are households who are income qualified and consist of one or two people, only."

"Our marketing people will conduct a direct mail campaign to these households, as well as advertise in all the normal media outlets. We plan to hire a professional condominium-marketing firm, not just a residential brokerage firm. Our marketing budget is 8 percent of total sales, including commissions, or over $4.3 million."

Dickinson's report calls into question the quality of the construction.

"Countering the potential upsides presented above, we consider the pro forma's construction cost estimates, especially for the residential component, at $100 to $118 per square foot of gross habitable building area, to be lower than we would expect," the report said.

"This raises a question about the quality of construction."

Dickinson's firm has repeatedly said it plans on building a quality project, which is in line with the city's high expectations for the parcel. Dickinson disagrees with Abramson's assessment and said its construction numbers are perfectly reasonable.

The report also points to other gains, should the project go through.

"While not estimated in this report, considerable additional tax revenues would be expected to be generated by development over time of adjacent properties stimulated by the Cochecho development," the report said.

"The City would also benefit from the positive impact of the attractive public space and demand generation provided by the project's residents and businesses, all of which would be expected to increase business and tax revenues across the downtown."

The final decision about the project's financial viability has yet to be made, according to City Manager Mike Joyal.

"We should anticipate that once a term sheet is developed, reviewed publicly and should it then be approved by CWDAC (Cochecho Waterfront Development Advisory Committee), that the process will enter the next stage, where Dickinson will be completing various exploratory site work at his own cost as part of his due diligence," Joyal wrote in an e-mail Thursday.

"Based on the findings assembled by Dickinson's consultants, he will need to make a final determination if the project is viable given the site conditions and other data he has assembled."

"If the findings from his investigations are satisfactory, a final step will be for CWDAC to assemble and approve a land development agreement which would then allow for the start of development on the waterfront parcel."

The little blue circles are just land markers that people have placed on Google Earth, they are worthless.

I got bored and made this dream map of the northern Tier, to bad it will never work out like this but a man can dream. All buildings other then the purple and dark red would be three to six stories. The gray painted areas would be new/moved streets, and my personal favorite the orange is pedestrian walkways. See the key below for more info.

dreamports-1.jpg

Already Built = Red
Mainly Residential= Dark Green
Mainly Commercial/Office = Dark Blue
Purple= Mix Use Transit Center
Dark Red= High/Mid Rise Mix use.
Light Green= Park/Open Space
Yellow= Parking Lots (Gasp!)

So here it is, I want dense small buildings near town with mixed uses, we don't need all the parking lots, underground and on street parking is all we need. The Office Parade mall lot needs to be broken down its huge, so I placed a cross street, and sort of extended the pedestrian walkway, I also did this where the lot is next to the Whale wall, which I think works really well and is a nice touch. And you'll note there is a parking lot, I know scary, slash utilities area in the inside of the block. The farther northeast one goes the large the lot size, and higher the building, again I extended a pedestrian walkway next to the new transportation center where the commuter rail from Boston would stop (ugh I can only dream). I see it as a sort of hub for the northern tier. The building might be 8-12 stories and may or may not cover/be built around the tracks. The red Parcels I see as 8-15 stories. Mixed use. And look I even made a kick ass new park and river walk, and gasp! another parking lot.

Whatca guys think, I'm I hired?

That would be a great downtown Portsmouth!
:shock:

goody said:
The little blue circles are just land markers that people have placed on Google Earth, they are worthless.

I got bored and made this dream map of the northern Tier, to bad it will never work out like this but a man can dream. All buildings other then the purple and dark red would be three to six stories. The gray painted areas would be new/moved streets, and my personal favorite the orange is pedestrian walkways. See the key below for more info.

dreamports-1.jpg

Already Built = Red
Mainly Residential= Dark Green
Mainly Commercial/Office = Dark Blue
Purple= Mix Use Transit Center
Dark Red= High/Mid Rise Mix use.
Light Green= Park/Open Space
Yellow= Parking Lots (Gasp!)

So here it is, I want dense small buildings near town with mixed uses, we don't need all the parking lots, underground and on street parking is all we need. The Office Parade mall lot needs to be broken down its huge, so I placed a cross street, and sort of extended the pedestrian walkway, I also did this where the lot is next to the Whale wall, which I think works really well and is a nice touch. And you'll note there is a parking lot, I know scary, slash utilities area in the inside of the block. The farther northeast one goes the large the lot size, and higher the building, again I extended a pedestrian walkway next to the new transportation center where the commuter rail from Boston would stop (ugh I can only dream). I see it as a sort of hub for the northern tier. The building might be 8-12 stories and may or may not cover/be built around the tracks. The red Parcels I see as 8-15 stories. Mixed use. And look I even made a kick ass new park and river walk, and gasp! another parking lot.

Whatca guys think, I'm I hired?

It's too bad they didn't swing the DownEaster through Portsmouth when they built that line, it seems like it's helping Dover and Exeter quite a bit. I would have no problem with somebody completely overhauling the Northern tier. With the exception of the Sheraton, it's a wasteland.

Westin hotel near approval

By Chris Outcalt

PORTSMOUTH -- The Historic District Commission on Wednesday said it was 95 percent satisfied with the proposed Westin hotel project but not ready to give it final approval.

"We're on the five-yard line but not quite in the end zone," said City Councilor Ned Raynolds. "We don't have some of those little details that we need."

Developer HarborCorp's plans for the Deer Street complex -- which include a 207-room hotel, a 20,000-square-foot conference center, a public parking garage and condominium units -- were before the board for the eighth time on Wednesday.

"I think that overall this is an excellent project," said Ellen Fineberg. "But for me there are still pieces missing and questions still out there."

According to HDC Chairman John Rice, those questions include how the condominium units will be expressed, what the final design of the pedestrian bridge will look like, what the drive-up entryway to the hotel looks like and details of the exterior lighting plan.

"We normally expect that kind of detail," said Rice.

At least one HDC member was ready to approve the project Wednesday night and questioned the level of specificity the board was seeking.

"I don't expect the originators of a project of this complexity to specify what kind of door knobs they are going to put on doors," said Richard Katz. "It's extremely frustrating to me that you embrace the project in concept 95 percent but can't trust these people to come up with the next five."

Board member John Wyckoff agreed with Katz.

"We've worked this around, and I'm quite happy with the way it's ended up at this point," said Wyckoff.

HarborCorp attorney Malcolm McNeill said he wanted assurance that when his clients returned they would only be dealing with the remaining 5 percent of the project in question.

"We fully recognize this to be one of the largest projects you have ever considered," said McNeill. "But we really desire closure to this process. The reality is that one person has come here to speak out against this. There's nothing else out there."

Katz made a motion to approve the plans as submitted; however, after a lengthy discussion, the board decided to table the project until Feb. 14.

The HDC is the first city land-use board that must approve the project. Once the HDC signs off on the designs, it will go before the Technical Advisory Committee and the Planning Board.

The building will not need variances from the Board of Adjustment because the property was rezoned by the City Council in 2006.

Smuttynose said:
It's too bad they didn't swing the DownEaster through Portsmouth when they built that line, it seems like it's helping Dover and Exeter quite a bit. I would have no problem with somebody completely overhauling the Northern tier. With the exception of the Sheraton, it's a wasteland.

I think the DownEaster is great, but I would really want the commuter rail from Newburyport brought up, its cheaper to ride, and seems more effective, and it would be a different service.

^^^

Smuttynose said:
Westin hotel near approval

I can see how this process would be frustratingly slow to some, but I think that Portsmouth ends up being, in the end, lucky to have this level of scrutiny applied to its projects. Whenever I'm in Portsmouth I personally appreciate the level of detail that new developments take to blend in with the preexisting historic buildings.

Developer looks to tear down Parade Mall in Portsmouth

By MICHAEL GOOT
Portsmouth Bureau Chief

PORTSMOUTH ? The Parade Mall could soon be history and a new hotel, office and retail complex built in its place.

Jeff Johnston, principal of Cathartes Private Investments, which owns the property on Hanover Street, said he is planning a mixed-use development with a hotel and residential, retail and office use. Johnston declined to give specific details about the project at this time such as the number of hotel rooms or a specific chain. The project is still in the concept phase.

"We can tell you that the Parade Office Mall is coming down," he said.

The office complex is home to businesses such as LabCorp.

The company bought the entire 4-acre property on Hanover Street in 2002 for $7 million. Cathartes had always intended to develop the site in two phases with the Hilton Garden Inn first and then the rest of the site.

"The city's master plan has identified that whole area as a growth area for the city," he said.

The first step is a work session with the Historic District Commission on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.

"We've got a pedestrian friendly, mixed-use development that we're going to present on the 14th and we're pretty excited about it. We think it's going to be received well," he said.

Cathartes is also the owner of the 131-room Hilton Garden Inn on the corner of Hanover and High streets. The hotel opened in June of last year on land that once served as a parking lot. The site also includes 21 luxury condominiums and retail space occupied by the First National Bank of Ipswich.

The Hilton Garden Inn project was one of the first redevelopment projects in the city's northern tier, which is an area stretching between Market Street and Maplewood Avenue. Buildings such as the Parade Mall site were constructed in the 1970s as part of urban renewal and replaced a neighborhood.

Other projects are in the pipeline. Developers Susan Conway and Mark Stevens are redeveloping the Portsmouth Herald site on Maplewood Avenue into another mixed-use development with retail on the first floor and office and residential uses on the upper floors. The owners purchased the building in May 2006 for $3.2 million.

Also, the former Coldwell Banker building at 31 Raynes Ave. is being redeveloped by Anthony DiLorenzo, who bought the property for $2.1 million.

Martingale project may get another ZBA hearing in Portsmouth

By MICHAEL GOOT
Portsmouth Bureau Chief

PORTSMOUTH ? A project to turn the Martingale Apartments into a restaurant, retail and office complex will likely have to get another hearing before the Zoning Board.

RRJ Properties, which is made up of local developers Bud, Butch and John Ricci, seek to construct a seven-story addition to the left side of the existing apartment building at 99 Bow St. and a six-story addition to the right. Residential units would be eliminated and replaced by restaurant, retail and office space.

The Historic District Commission approved the design in January 2006 and the Planning Board approved it in April of that year.

However, an entity called Harboursquare, which owns property at 90 Bow St., had filed separate lawsuits in Rockingham County Superior Court challenging both the Historic District Commission and Planning Board approvals, saying the project would result in loss of water view and diminish the character of the neighborhood.

In April, Judge Robert Morrill dismissed the lawsuit against the commission because Harboursquare did not first appeal the decision to the Board of Adjustment. Harboursquare did eventually appeal the matter after the deadline passed. The Board of Adjustment denied the request for reconsideration.

The Supreme Court ruled last month that the project should get a hearing before the Board of Adjustment.

Malcolm McNeill, attorney for the Martingale project, said he was surprised and disappointed with the result.

"We will ask the (Board of Adjustment) to schedule a public hearing and move this forward. We fully hope and expect it will be the same result," he said.

He said previously the project complies with the zoning ordinance and with the recommendations with the Historic District Commission.

City Attorney Bob Sullivan said the Supreme Court has set a new precedent and now the Board of Adjustment will be required to hear all appeals from the commission. Before, he could decline to do so. Also, there will be a public hearing with notice to abutters during the rehearings.

Harboursquare's lawsuit against the Planning Board's decision was dismissed in October.

Another Project Proposed as Development Heats Up In Northern Tier
By Adam Leech

PORTSMOUTH -- The redevelopment of the northern tier has fired up, with a fourth major project proposed for the area in as many months.

The new project calls for a waterfront mixed use development with office and retail space on the first two floors and residential condominiums on the third and fourth floors. The total size of the parcel is a little under two acres.

The project would include destruction of Cindy Ann Cleaners and the former Coldwell Banker building next door.

Some of the unique features of the plan include public access to the waterfront along North Mill Pond and a wharf that extends out into the outlet.

Mixed uses are a common theme in three of the northern tier plans, structured to improve the walkability of the area and expand the downtown area. Like the Raynes Avenue plan, the redevelopment proposals for the Parade Mall site and the Portsmouth Herald building also include residential, commercial and office space. All three plans also include underground parking. The Raynes Avenue project proposes 78 spaces.

The height of the structure still hinges upon action by the City Council and Planning Board, which are considering lowering the maximum height in the area from 50 feet to 40 feet. The current plan is for 50 feet.

Architect Steve McHenry of Portsmouth said the design and schematics are not as far along as they normally would be when a project is proposed, but the co-developers, Stephen Kelm and Anthony DiLorenzo, wanted to get the project going as soon as possible. He said he does not know when the project will head to the city's land use boards.

McHenry said the three projects along Maplewood Avenue, along with the Westin Hotel project, are helping shape what will be a completely different part of the city in five years.

"It's obviously an important gateway to the city and should be designed so it doesn't overwhelm you," he said. "That's why if you have good planning, good zoning and have the (Historic District Commission) do their job right, it can really improve the entire area."

Again, 50 foot limit. That is just stupid. That area of Portsmouth is not near the Historical District and would create a few shadows over.....GASP.....North Mill Pond!?!?! Are you serious? How much shadow would a 70-80 foot building create?
On a brighter note, it is nice to see that there is a lot going on. BUILD.....BUILD....BUILD!

Large Dover office building gets OK

By JEREMIAH ROOD
Democrat Staff Writer

DOVER ? After asking only a few questions, Planning Board members unanimously approved the construction of an 80,000-square-foot, four-story office building in the city's North End.

Summit Development hopes to begin construction of the building at the end of Indian Brook Drive sometime this spring. Chad Kageleiry of Summit Development said he is in talks with several companies, including Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, about leasing space in the facility.

While no tenants have yet signed a lease, Kageleiry said that when enough have construction will begin.

Access to the new building, scheduled to have more than 400 parking spaces ? with 10 percent underground ?will be off Members Way.

Kageleiry has proposed transferring the development rights from another 5-acre parcel to his property in exchange for a waiver to the parking lot and wetland setback rules. The transfer would involve purchasing land off-site for conservation, thus allowing a greater density on the Indian Brook Drive property.

City Economic Development Director Beth Thompson spoke in favor of the project, calling the proposed transfer of development rights a "textbook case."

The provision was included in the city's ordinances years ago to allow for more concentrated development in certain areas of the city in exchange for permanently conserving other land.

The project would include portions of properties owned by Mo Y. Wong; Davis, Bartol Erikson Holdings, LLC (The New England Equine Hospital); and Northeast Credit Union. The three pieces would create a new property totaling 15 acres.

"Strategically placed at Exit 9, the gateway to the area's premier officer corridor, this landmark building will join the ranks of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and Measured Progress," wrote Bob Stowell, president of Tritech Engineering Corp., in his application letter to the city.

The building adds to other activity in the North End, which in recent years has included three hotels, expansions to the Liberty Mutual and Measured Progress campuses, and further development in the city's industrial park.

Downtown makeover
Council approves Westin, gets first look at Parade project

By Chris Outcalt
coutcalt@seacoastonline.com

PORTSMOUTH -- Immediately after finalizing one major project, the Historic District Commission delved into another major redevelopment project on Wednesday.

After reviewing the application over a span of nine meetings, the commission approved the Westin hotel project. The Deer Street complex will include a 207-room hotel, a 20,000-square-foot conference center, a public parking garage and condominiums.

"I think your design is quite inspired," said board member Sandra Dika. "I'm pretty excited about it."

Then the board got its first look at the proposed redevelopment of the Parade Mall site, widely considered downtown's biggest eyesore.

The mixed-use retail, residential, and hotel plan is centered around creating pedestrian-friendly access and walkways that would connect with the rest of the city.

"We thought about how we would get people from different areas of the city," said Lisa DeStefano, an architect for the project. "How do we create a loop through Market Square and Congress Street and then back around?"

Part of her answer is to create a new road through the site. The proposed access way would be extension of the Vaughan Mall walkway.

"We're really trying to turn this site inside out," said David Manfredi of Elkus/Manfredi Architects.

"And probably the biggest move is the introduction of a new street that is connected to the city grid."

In addition to a new road, the project calls for wide brick sidewalks with trees, flowers, outdoor caf? seating and storefront access. Approximately 20 retail shops would cover roughly 70,000 square feet. The plan also includes 28 condominiums ranging from one to three bedrooms and 150,000 square feet of office space. The site would also house a 147-room hotel and have underground garage parking for about 300 cars.

"I hope this almost looks foreign to you because it's so different from what's there today," said Manfredi. "The mix of uses will bring different people Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. than on Saturday and Sunday evening."

The commission responded favorably to project.

"I'm so pleased to see that you spent so much time with the concept," said Dika. "I think starting with this and studying the northern tier work and thinking about pedestrians gives us a much better chance to get where we want to with this project."

The board wrestled with whether a project like this that sits outside the immediate historic center of the city should be given more design leeway.

"The farther we get away from the city core, I think the more we should explore the freedom to expand our range of design options," said board member Richard Katz.

"While I'm very appreciative of the effort you've made, I see too much red brick," said city councilor Ned Raynolds. "Even though these buildings are in the Historic District, I would like us to consider other materials and colors."

HDC Chairman John Rice agreed with Raynolds.

"It seems like you're trying to create a sense of place, but at the same time as I look at both renderings I feel it's not lively," said Rice. "These buildings need more life in them."

The next step for the Parade Mall project is at least one more work session with the HDC before the formal review begins.

At A Glance

Westin Hotel Project
*207-room Westin Hotel
*5-story public parking garage
*20,000 square foot conference center
*21 Condominiums
*9 Retail stores

Parade Mall Redevelopment
*150,000 square feet office space
*20 retail stores totaling 70,000 square feet
*28 Condominiums
*New street connected to downtown city grid featuring wide brick sidewalks
*147-room hotel
*300-car underground parking lot

Wow, I'm actually excited after reading this... They're even talking about moving away from ALL red brick buildings

this really does look like a cool project. I can't wait to see the finished product after all the north tier projects are done.

YAY! this sounds better then I was expecting... they are going to do what I wanted mixed use with a street down the middle extending the Vaughan Mall walkway. And less brick- ugh I cant wait to see what it looks like.

BTW 30 new stores, holy shit...

The site plan as of right now for the Office Parade Mall is on this site

http://www.theolympiacompanies.com/

Last one under development

It looks good, though I wish there wasnt any above around parking. If that office building was like 70 feet with set backs all the way up it would be awesome.

Congress Street to get facelift

PORTSMOUTH ? Goodbye 1960s-era street lights and concrete sidewalks as Congress Street will get a complete makeover this spring.

City officials are in the planning stages for a $300,000 project to add new wider brick sidewalks, smaller street lights and trees along Congress Street to Maplewood Avenue. Engineer David Desfosses said the project will continue the look of Market Square and more recently, the new Eagle block building.

The project will be bonded and paid off by taxpayers.

The city will install 1,000 feet of new sidewalk from High Street to Maplewood Avenue and from Fleet Street to Maplewood Avenue. It will also plant five new street trees.

Public Works Director Steve Parkinson said crews would be working on two blocks at a time.

The city will have to close some traffic lanes to maintain pedestrian access.

The project would be important to help connect pedestrians to various areas in the downtown, according to Parkinson.

The city has not put the project out for bids.

Desfosses said the work will begin in early to mid-April and the city hopes to have it completed by Memorial Day.

"It looks great to me. I've been waiting a long time for this. I think this will be a very significant improvement there," said Mike De La Cruz, owner of the Franklin Block building at 75 Congress St., at a recent public input session.

This is just the latest improvement the city is considering on downtown sidewalks. In the capital improvement plan for 2008, there is a $350,000 project to construct wider brick sidewalks on both sides of Market Street

Back