Potential Exelon Mystic Station Redevelopment | Everett

Median Boston income is $36k. Top employment sector is healthcare and social services, not tech. Half of 25+ year olds don't have a Bachelor's degree. 1 in 6 residents are poor.

Look, Boston is super gentrified, nobody is denying that. But working class people still live here, alongside all us yuppie tech workers. Pretending they don't exist and then using that as an argument against a soccer stadium because "nobody in Boston goes to sports games" (?!?!?) is ridiculous and honestly below the level of discourse of this forum.
I didn’t say that they didn’t exist. They do. But not in the numbers that they used to. We’re getting closer to San Francisco and Brooklyn with every day from my eyes whenever I drive into Boston.

For reference, I’m not against any stadium either. However, the upscale residents in Charlestown might be because they are abutters (more or less), and I didn’t say that nobody who lives in Boston goes to games, they do. Just not what they used to be. I’m sure that much of the residents of Boston are off in the city doing other things like going to the symphony or a fundraiser.

Sidebar: Median Boston income is 36k? Something is off there given the median rentals. Where did you get the source for the $36k?

I think it's outdated. Today's census.gov screenshot below. We also have a lot of students, so it might skew a bit despite being a median number:

1702560351908.png

Grad Students, City Workers, Venture Capitalists. It’s all that I can think of.
Census data shows that 17.5% of people in Boston live in poverty. This report from 2014 breaks that down by neighborhood and a bunch of other demographics.
Boston is more than grad students, city workers, and venture capitalists.

I'm kinda hesitant to mention any of this though, because I've totally lost wtf any of this has to do with the Mystic Station redevelopment.

I didn’t say that they didn’t exist. They do. But not in the numbers that they used to. We’re getting closer to San Francisco and Brooklyn with every day from my eyes whenever I drive into Boston.

For reference, I’m not against any stadium either. However, the upscale residents in Charlestown might be because they are abutters (more or less), and I didn’t say that nobody who lives in Boston goes to games, they do. Just not what they used to be. I’m sure that much of the residents of Boston are off in the city doing other things like going to the symphony or a fundraiser.

Sidebar: Median Boston income is 36k? Something is off there given the median rentals. Where did you get the source for the $36k?
When you say it like that, I agree with you.

I got $38k (and then misquoted it as $36k, my b) from Google Data Commons as the 2020 median. I'm clicking around there now and can't figure out how they calculated that. Should've known better and gone straight to the census.

I'm kinda hesitant to mention any of this though, because I've totally lost wtf any of this has to do with the Mystic Station redevelopment.
Yeah we've strayed pretty far from the light at this point.

It's frustrating that redevelopment of this site has not generated more action on Beacon Hill. I mean, we've known that the power plant was shutting down for at least three years. And the legislature is worried about this being decided "in a pressure cooker"? Where has the legislature been the last three years? At this point, by not doing anything, we're essentially saying "Abandoned power plants are the best! Redevelopment is stupid."

There should be a debate about the merits of a stadium here, but I question whether maintaining the port designation makes sense for this site, across from Encore, in 2023.

Apparently, some players lined up against the recent legislative end-around, including Mayor Wu, who questioned why Boston is not part of the stadium discussion, and from CLF.

Conflicting goals on soccer stadium

The plan for a New England stadium in Everett hit a speed bump - including concerns from Mayor Wu (paywall)

Everett soccer stadium is still on the table, senator vows to file standalone bill

Alright, I think we have beaten the sports/demographics debate to death :)

"Everett representatives are pushing to revive the measure this Legislative year on behalf of the city.

State Sen. Sal DiDomenico, D-Everett, has pledged to file a separate bill that would move along construction of a soccer stadium and waterfront park along the Mystic River."

Working hard to gather public support!

"[Sen DiDomenico] said the process began several months ago when there was talk about a soccer stadium development on a decommissioned power plant site in Everett.

“Now we have the opportunity to turn the page on an industrial site and bring something to this community that will include open space, use of a stadium for our youth groups, opening up the waterfront for the first time in decades to the residents of Everett, who deserve better than having an industrial site on our waterfront for decades – we deserve better than that in this community,” said DiDomenico.

He said there had been an “exacerbation of inaccuracies” about the proposal. “I deal with facts, and the facts are the matter are that the legislation we proposed in the state Senate did one thing, lifting the DPA (Designated Port Area) from that site only,” said DiDomenico. “It’s maritime use only, and I think at this point that there won’t be maritime use on that site any longer, unless it’s industrial use, and we don’t want industrial use on our waterfront.”

DiDomenico made it a point to publicly squash inaccurate reports that there was “some sort of deal between the Krafts and the mayor.”

“That is so far from the truth,” DiDomenico affirmed. “Because when the environmental groups were brought to the table, they initiated talks with the Kraft Group, and they drove the negotiations on an MOA (Memorandum Of Agreement) that they wanted to see in place prior to any legislative action being taken at the State House. Let’s clear that up once and for all: the MOA was initiated and negotiated by the environmental group. The mayor’s chance to have a host agreement comes at the second stage.”"

Tickets are easier to afford when the team finishes last place in the division for 3 out of the past 4 years. I'm sure there's some serious deals on the secondary market, particularly later in those seasons!
I realize this is off-topic, but every game I've been to in the last several years (going back to 2018 or 19) has been the result of the secondary market's dynamic pricing. I use TickPick in particular (the displayed prices include taxes/fees, so you know the bottom line from the start). It's not hard to get decent seats (RF Boxes, and even some Loge seats) for ~$10/ea in April/May. If you live or work in the city and look less than an hour before 1st pitch, it's pretty easy to nab those deals. Later in the season, even on bad years, isn't quite as affordable because the weather is typically better in September than April or May. But we did an early September game this past season for $15/ea in RF Box 94. Not bad. It's certainly a far cry from 2004-2008 when bleacher seats to a Sox/Orioles game in July could run you close to $100/ea.

DiDomenico made it a point to publicly squash inaccurate reports that there was “some sort of deal between the Krafts and the mayor.”

“That is so far from the truth,” DiDomenico affirmed. “Because when the environmental groups were brought to the table, they initiated talks with the Kraft Group, and they drove the negotiations on an MOA (Memorandum Of Agreement) that they wanted to see in place prior to any legislative action being taken at the State House. Let’s clear that up once and for all: the MOA was initiated and negotiated by the environmental group. The mayor’s chance to have a host agreement comes at the second stage.”"
Has anyone ever said which environmental groups were in this negotiation? From their statements it doesn't seem like CLF was. I'm not too familiar with what other groups would be around, and it's weird that they never seem to get mentioned.

Also, why is DiDomenico pretending this MOA is some kind of agreement among environmental groups? No environmental group is listed as a party. None are named. No environmental group signed it. The MOA is explicitly between the soccer team and the City of Everett. People rightfully think this is an agreement between the team and the mayor because... it's signed by the mayor.

Nope, not retired. Raising a family, taking my kids to baseball games. There are 700,000 people in Boston, it's beyond simplification to try to pigeonhole us all in to a handful of categories.
Okay. Fair. Well at least you can afford to go to those games.

Also, why is DiDomenico pretending this MOA is some kind of agreement among environmental groups? No environmental group is listed as a party. None are named. No environmental group signed it. The MOA is explicitly between the soccer team and the City of Everett. People rightfully think this is an agreement between the team and the mayor because... it's signed by the mayor.

I'll just leave this here.

Back