Potential Exelon Mystic Station Redevelopment | Everett

Standing room is counted and it's pretty much a given that there will be some sort of standing supporters section on one side of the stadium and very likely two decks of seating on 2 or 3 sides as that's what you see in all modern MLS stadiums.

Yeah the space is limited with the current dimensions especially east and west from the switching station and the other plant. By my rough measurements (roughly 600ft x 580ft)on Google Earth it doesn't seem impossible to fit a stadium with a similar footprint to Geodis Park (30,000/ 650ft x480ft), TQL Stadium (26,000/ 650ft x550ft), or BMO Stadium (22,000/ 600ft x 560ft), it'll just be tight. These measurements are also just the seating and pitch. Usually, there are some other buildings for offices, storage, and other facilities that you can shove into the remaining bits of space.
View attachment 52925View attachment 52926

Also, sorry to bring this back up but with this footprint the last smokestack still fits (super awkwardly) and maybe some of the brick building.

One thing I don't get about the stupid placeholder render is why it's side on to the river. Firstly, I don't know how it would fit at that orientation. Secondly, as shown in the other thread and with @Downburst 's project, there are some nice views of the skyline and bunker hill/Charlestown from the site, especially from an upper deck of a stadium.

View attachment 52927
I think that if one side is partly open or unobstructed then it should absolutely face the river. There's also precedent for this sort of thing in MLS stadiums, but generally, these stadiums are smaller capacity (<22,000) or have expanded seating and covered up those sides with a second tier of seating in Toronto's case.
Your footprint only really intersects with the 50s era units 4-6, which are concrete and bleh - no real loss. But If we're able to keep the brick building, there may be a happy medium.

That brick power building at one point had a pair of stacks of its own. If you look at Google imagery, where they used to be is fairly evident. The existing triple set of stacks from units 4-6 date to the 50s, and the tall stack belonged to unit 7 which was built in 1975 to replace Units 1-3, which lived in that brick building. So, if we're going for the historic industrial preservationist angle, why not aim for a ~1945 appearance and build a couple of fiberglass replica stacks on top of the brick building? (It looks more balanced to me without them but ymmv.)
1000035105.gif

(I'm not saying it's likely - it's not historically listed and it's been mostly vacant since the 70s. I have no idea what's it's been used for in the intervening years, but I can't really see how it isn't full of asbestos.)

Back