Potential Soccer Stadium | Portland peninsula

Tracks around football and soccer fields stink....period. Even the University of Maine plans to remove the track from Alfond Stadium (football) to improve sightlines and atmosphere....and build a another one in a new location.

I still to this day don't understand why the city does not utilize the land behind Deering High School and build a track specific stadium
Agree. Portland is changing in scope and size rapidly. To use this prominent piece of land (Fitzpatrick) as a high school running track is not in the best interests of the city, or at large that is. When was the last time anyone attended a track meet? And what kind of revenue can you make from selling tickets at a track meet? The city needs revenue. All cities do. This place as a dynamic soccer stadium (and concerts from an inside space to make revenue for the city) for pros, college, and youth is a GREAT idea. The track ruins it, a bit. But what can we expect? There is still a lot of provincial minded "thinking power" in Portland. A few years from now there will be a call to get rid of the track that no one uses. Change is good. Change is life.

Last edited:
Seems to check out, could potentially reorient the baseball field here...
Fitzpatrick at Deering.png

Nice job, Corey! Generally, with sports it's always better to have two separate places for separate uses than to have two that do both (a lowering compromise). In pro sports, the baseball/football marriage can't really work today. Send this image to the rec department "powers that be." I work with brands and venues and I see nothing but $$$$$$$$$$ with the Fitzpatrick soccer/concerts hybrid. The soccer comes first, then the concerts adapt. Remember how Bayside Bowl became and still is the toast of pro bowling? Portland fans would make this the most dynamic stadium in the country.

Last edited:
Let's not forget Kennedy Park and Payson Park.

There can always be reconfiguration/consolidation/centralization of Baseball/Softball/Little League Fields and Soccer/Lacrosse/Field Hockey Fields.

While Back Cove was torn apart for the storm water tanks, if grass fields are planted on top of them again - then those are prime locations for Little League or HS Soccer Fields. That's where a ton of teenage immigrants would play soccer after school and they'd be amazing to watch as you'd walk or run Back Cove. These individuals grew up with a culture of playing Soccer rather than American Football. The rise in interest in soccer is great to see (former striker here).

$1,000,000 worth of mostly cosmetic improvements to Fitzpatrick seems pretty lame unless I'm missing something?

$1,000,000 worth of mostly cosmetic improvements to Fitzpatrick seems pretty lame unless I'm missing something?
I think "cosmetic" is in the eye of the beholder... professional-level lights (half a mil by themselves) are hardly cosmetic, not to mention the technology improvements to the press box for streaming and video. What does strike me is that their schedule runs April through November... and I don't think the area (and definitely not the parking) can handle both the Sea Dogs and this new team playing at the same time. Presumably, the logistics can be worked out, but consider the players: the city, the new team, League One, the Sea Dogs (new corporate owners), and the Eastern League which is now a part of Major League Baseball since they took over the minors. We know who the big dog is in that discussion and they're based in Manhattan.

I'll be upfront: as a former season-ticket holder, I've always thought that the deal between the city and the Sea Dogs for use of Hadlock was fair to both sides (and it also means that the Bulldogs and Rams get to play in one of the finest high school ballparks anywhere), and I'm not sure that this deal is significantly different. But the scheduling will definitely need to be worked out between all parties.

I used "cosmetic" because they did in the potential agreement. A complete renovation is what I was hoping for and maybe it will come to fruition down the road.
1088378D-4AC0-4B59-A2D1-7B1744B4F07E.jpeg

I don't believe in building something that barely meets the criteria for a stadium. This proposal should be much bigger in size and scope, and the USM men's and women's teams could also use it. And find a way to get it covered. This way, it can be used year-round and with other events, notably concerts and conventions. The concessions need to be dynamic and a draw in itself. Why settle for less? I think Portland is ready for something bigger, more spectacular. If Bangor can fill 15,000 seats in its venue, then certainly Portland can accommodate up to 20,000. Make it 25,000 and now acts that come to Boston can add one more date in Portland. At least 3 million people live within a 2-hour drive or train ride.

Well Gentlemen: We’ve been at this since 2019. It’s been a rollercoaster. I was sick to my stomach all day yesterday!!! My favorite idea remains the Back Cove option - could be amazing! I think we can get a good vibe going! It is mostly in the hands of the supporters! In the meantime we can continue to look for opportunities for a soccer specific stadium! So the thread lives! ~ C

I used "cosmetic" because they did in the potential agreement. A complete renovation is what I was hoping for and maybe it will come to fruition down the road.
View attachment 44478
I do love this rendering. And the building in front with housing and a space “pitch level” to do after school programming for kids would have just been absolutely mint! ~ C

Are there renderings of the existing plan for Fitzpatrick? What's going to be going ahead, I mean.

No - not sure there will be. The upgrades are to Portlanders' point "cosmetic". I will keep you guys posted. ~ C
Like I said, they may not be showy, but some of those improvements are far more than cosmetic. Do you know if the USL has talked about implementing promotion and relegation between its leagues, or is that far too difficult to pull off in the US?

ETA: Yes, it's been talked about, but that's all so far.

Well Gentlemen: We’ve been at this since 2019. It’s been a rollercoaster. I was sick to my stomach all day yesterday!!! My favorite idea remains the Back Cove option - could be amazing! I think we can get a good vibe going! It is mostly in the hands of the supporters! In the meantime we can continue to look for opportunities for a soccer specific stadium! So the thread lives! ~ C
Agreed on the Back Cove option… absolutely believe that’s the best option and would be an amazing new part of the city if done right with shops, parking, maybe even housing! it’s disappointing to see they aren’t going all out on Fitzy. But progress I guess!

Like I said, they may not be showy, but some of those improvements are far more than cosmetic. Do you know if the USL has talked about implementing promotion and relegation between its leagues, or is that far too difficult to pull off in the US?

ETA: Yes, it's been talked about, but that's all so far.
I can tell you it was quite literally my very first question when the USL team was here for the launch. It was hi, nice to meet you, what's the ProRel status? They are definitely discussing it. I totally believe it will happen. And honestly - one of the reasons why - is because these owners aren't NFL owners - they are soccer fans. And every soccer fan - EVERY soccer fan - knows what ProRel means on a visceral level!!! Which is why it was my first question. Going through Pro Rel with Brighton Hove was insane as a fan. Insane. ~ C

So with the improvements going ahead at Fitzpatrick, does that mean the possibility of a new stadium on the Back Cove is dead? Or is that something that could still happen down the line?

I'm not speaking for Catherine, but as things stand I think Public Works has killed the Back Cove idea for the foreseeable future. As a sewer ratepayer I personally have to err on the side of protecting our nine figure investment in the new septic tank.

Back