Potential Soccer Stadium | Portland peninsula

Is Hadlock field worth keeping as a baseball stadium? Have the Seadogs play a season in Old Orchard while they retrofit hadlock and fitzy. Fitzy + Hadlock could be a stadium similar to Providence Park in the other Portland. I am totally spit balling here but there really isnt much available open space for a new sports stadium in Portland. Portland could draw crowds over 10k for soccer. The interest in soccer is strong in southern Maine.
God bless you. The Maine Mall is the biggest waste of prime land in all of Maine! Hope you win someday!🤑
It's literally a dream project for me - we banter about it all the time. I'm the only one that really wants to do it which is why I would literally need a big winning lottery ticket - would require a lot of cash and likely not get any return for a long time. But OMG!!! It could be AMAZING!!!! ~ C

If you got rid of the two buildings across from the Mall food court section (Ultra Beauty?), a new stadium could directly connect to that. Renovate the food court to include more bars, and now you have a year-round before and after destination. I've noticed this idea works well (Fenway and its neighbors). There are five hotels within walking distance, and surely another would be built if the stadium was located here. There are many advantages to this location, and Maine's population is growing. I see this as a good investment, and not a far-fetched idea. The Mall isn't going anywhere soon. It just needs a reinvention of sorts, and when I walked in through the old Filene's space to Jordan's Furniture a few months back, and saw that dynamic tree house like jungle gym concept, I thought I was hallucinating. But then there was sound--dozens of kids emitting shrieks and giggles from having fun. It was a reimagination idea happening in Maine. Rare. I think with the right Whale investor it could happen. I work with many venues across the country, and I like this location's future better than nearly all of them. And as I keep saying, it's only a bit over a one hour's drive from around two million in population. Also, 5 minutes from the airport, one minute from the interstate, and ten minutes from the train and bus stations. Additionally, a lot of access points to get in and out fast. The only thing crazier and sad here is thinking it can't happen.

Last edited:
Plan Number: PL-002836-2024

To accommodate use from a Minor League Soccer team coming to Maine, the project proposes to construct two (2) locker rooms and relocation/addition of three (3) storage containers, along with associated utility updates.

Some progress
We are making progress! Some complicating factors with the press box we need to work through and then I’m ready to price everything out while we go through planning and get permits! ~ C

I was hoping someone would tear out the press box/stands and dig out that area including building a new parking garage. The garage would encompass the parking lot allowing for concessions, press boxes, and locker rooms...

I was hoping someone would tear out the press box/stands and dig out that area including building a new parking garage. The garage would encompass the parking lot allowing for concessions, press boxes, and locker rooms...
That would work. But I do think they/we need to think for the longer term of this facility. The location is ideal being so close to transportation portals and Maine Medical Center and USM and even walkable along Congress Street to downtown. I would opt for some underground parking too, for a bigger garage. If the stadium could be covered then it would be a year-round facility. Without, it's really only May to September, or five months of comfort for fans. There are many new materials being used for covering large building roofs now, cheaper and translucent so that electrical lighting is minimal during the day. It would then become a dynamic center for pro and youth soccer and other forms of recreation and entertainment. My worry here is that in ten years we will all be saying, "It should have been bigger and better (e.g., the old Civic Center and now the quasi-performing CIA)." In Maine, things always seem to be built to just fill the needs of the present.

Unless the City foots the bill for some of it or Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney decide they want to buy another team on this side of the pond, I doubt the ownership group of this team has the readily available capital to make drastic improvements out of the gate. No bank is going to lend a large amount of money towards this venture, either. This will probably be a slow process despite the clear advantages of quickly building a first-class facility and supporting infrastructure.

Last edited:
Unless the City foots the bill for some of it or Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney decide they want to buy another team on this side of the pond, I doubt the ownership group of this team has the readily available capital to make drastic improvements out of the gate. No bank is going to lend a large amount of money towards this venture, either. This will probably be a slow process despite the clear advantages of quickly building a first-class facility and supporting infrastructure.
Might the Alfonds?

I have worked for the City of Portland for several years with Parks & Recreation, and its getting harder and harder to get funding to fix buildings. Revenue Funds are being diverted to other programs aka the general fund vs reinvestment. The City needs to take a hard look at its facilities and make the choice to sell but put provisions into the sale agreement that these venues will always be used for the public. The first one would be Hadlock. Its easier to lock in funding if you own it vs lease it. It would be a taxable property..., Next would be the Expo and so on. So much could be done to upgrade especially the land between the ice area and expo.

We need to think differently now, that Portland and Southern Maine have changed. Finding money for a venue (for more than soccer) that can also pull from Boston and Southern NH is realistic. I would contact New Balance as a potential source for some. Shamrock might be able to help too as he (Brian Corcoran) has many national connections in the sports world. Getting money is a lot easier than you think if you approach it more creatively. The Children's Museum women had relatively no problem for their new and impressive building. Ask them for help. Don't kids love soccer? That's a connect. I could go on and on and on with ideas...

Last edited:
The Children's Museum women had relatively no problem for their new and impressive building. Ask them for help.

A big part of that was securing a significant brownfields grant, and that was not easy. It came down to the wire after construction had already commenced. Thompson's Point was once an industrial wasteland. Fitzpatrick, not so much; it was a wetland.

I'm not saying that funding cannot be found, and Gabe definitely has the drive, motivation, skills and personality to do it. But we need to be realistic here and temper expectations. You're certainly welcomes to dream, think big and 'think differently', but the reality of things is typically much harsher. Look at Hadlock. The Sea Dogs have a proven track record of making money and the brand fire-power to make big things happen. However, the prior ownership group was only able to pick away at adding features here and there to improve the facilities and experience, but they've done relatively little, other than the right field pavilion seats, to greatly expand capacity or seating. Sadly, I think the new ownership group is in it for pure ROI, and without public funding, which they will be hard pressed to receive in this market, Hadlock won't see any major improvements.

Last edited:
A big part of that was securing a significant brownfields grant, and that was not easy. It came down to the wire after construction had already commenced. Thompson's Point was once an industrial wasteland. Fitzpatrick, not so much; it was a wetland.

I'm not saying that funding cannot be found, and Gabe definitely has the drive, motivation, skills and personality to do it. But we need to be realistic here and temper expectations. You're certainly welcomes to dream, think big and 'think differently', but the reality of things is typically much harsher. Look at Hadlock. The Sea Dogs have a proven track record of making money and the brand fire-power to make big things happen. However, the prior ownership group was only able to pick away at adding features here and there to improve the facilities and experience, but they've done relatively little, other than the right field pavilion seats, to greatly expand capacity or seating. Sadly, I think the new ownership group is in it for pure ROI, and without public funding, which they will be hard pressed to receive in this market, Hadlock won't see any major improvements.
You are discussing the past. Money is seemingly everywhere now. Be creative. An outdoor soccer stadium is a tough sell.

"You are looking live, at a sold-out New Balance Stadium!" City officials should call up the Kraft's and give them a deal they can't refuse for a new Revolution Soccer Stadium. No reason why you can't get the stadium built in Portland. The issue is I don't know where you can build a 15k-seat stadium on the peninsula. South Portland would probably be a better place to find 7-10 acres of open land. I still think there needs to be some creative ideas and combine Hadlock and Fitzy for a funky soccer stadium.

The city has to cut something near $20 million from next year's city budget and is throwing out the possibility of a 9.6% tax increase if not. It or they do not have an understanding of how to generate revenue in today's world. The Fitzy land could be sold with an inclusion for part-time public use. 90% of its potential operating time the stadium sits unused (high school sports will have to practice somewhere else--perhaps barter for use of Waynflete's or Deering's practice fields). The city only knows how to spend money without building in a financial payback. It could also take a small piece of the parking fees and F&B profits with this new stadium. And why isn't there a big LED ad producing revenue on the end of the Expo, the side facing 295? Dynamic privately owned embedded spaces with bars and food could operate during off hours to keep it all going. Someone creative like Bissell could become a partner. They are creating a hip Northen Italian styled restaurant within one section of the wine space they took over. The former tenants went out of business. Who wants a mere glass of red or white wine? That segment of the population is dying off. Every wine bar that has opened in Portland has gone out of business. Ever been to Eataly? They have concepts within their concept (it's about carbs). I could probably list 100 ways to increase revenue for this potential facility--it's such a great location. I've seen a stadium gross $800K on one special cup cocktail during a two-day concert event. When CIA has a concert the entire gross hits only half that number. There is a lot of money out there. Create something different or now proven to get it. Today's fans need or want or can do--because it's easy--somewhere to go before and after an event. Make the stadium into this idea, one where they show up early and don't want to leave. It's all or mostly about F&B today.

Last edited:
This is going to happen. A DYNAMIC and FUN soccer stadium for the Revolution will be built on this old power plant site next to the Encore and most in New England will want to come here. Portland can't build big like this, but it can still build smart. Many of the serious Sox fans come to Portland to watch the Sea Dogs to see the next gen of Red Sox stars. Give them another reason.

Mass. Governor on board now...
https://commonwealthbeacon.org/economy/short-takes-healey-backs-everett-soccer-stadium/

1705683856059.png

Last edited:
That would work. But I do think they/we need to think for the longer term of this facility. The location is ideal being so close to transportation portals and Maine Medical Center and USM and even walkable along Congress Street to downtown. I would opt for some underground parking too, for a bigger garage. If the stadium could be covered then it would be a year-round facility. Without, it's really only May to September, or five months of comfort for fans. There are many new materials being used for covering large building roofs now, cheaper and translucent so that electrical lighting is minimal during the day. It would then become a dynamic center for pro and youth soccer and other forms of recreation and entertainment. My worry here is that in ten years we will all be saying, "It should have been bigger and better (e.g., the old Civic Center and now the quasi-performing CIA)." In Maine, things always seem to be built to just fill the needs of the present.
You seem to have forgotten .... Portland NEVER does anything bigger and better. Mediocre is the name of the game.

You seem to have forgotten .... Portland NEVER does anything bigger and better. Mediocre is the name of the game.

PlantArch, you are so right! Urbanism is basically a dirty/scary word in the state of Maine. A prime example of Portland right now:
"But Portland isnt Boston!"- current Portland resident regarding urban development. Meanwhile in Boston..... "Boston isnt New York City!" Then the forner NYC resident moves to Portland.

$170 million for UMO sports. Is anyone from Portland driving up there to watch college sports? It's sad or unfortunate that the Portland area does not have college sports at a higher level. Why can't soccer at USM be upgraded (recruited) for men and women to use the new soccer stadium, though as I keep saying, it needs to have a roof. That way, it can be used year-round and not only soccer, but basketball. It would be five teams, pro soccer, men's and women's soccer, and men's and women's basketball for key games. A massive stage and parts of the stands across can be relatively easily moved to the center area for events. I see that all the time in my travels to sports arenas and stadiums (NRG in Houston for the last two weeks). But in Maine, the seemingly normal operative idea is that it can't.

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/plans-unveiled-for-170m-renovation-project-at-umaine-sports-arenas

Envy.

Back