Proposal to replace Seville Theatre in East Boston

I have no idea what it means. It came to me unsolicited. I was not at Thursday's meeting.

An interesting message, Ron -- thanks for sharing. Apparently Mr. Mason doesn't like being asked to defend his positions at a public meeting.

I'm not sure if the "Jimbo" he refers to is "our" JimboJones. I'm equally unsure if he thinks I'm the Jimbo who's harassing his family.

For the record: I've got nothing to do with the content posted on the Hubster blog (I read it occasionally, but have never posted a comment). My only interactions with Mr. Mason have been at public meetings.

by 'Jimbo' I'm sure he means thehubsterblog guy. I have occasionally posted comments there regarding the Seville.

The Lombardo family, owners of the shopping plaza across Border Street, are behind this project. They seem pretty committed to making this happen, and recognize that it can be a catalyst for redeveloping the rest of the unremarkable two-story block adjacent to the Seville, as well as their own dated plaza.
Meridian Street is scruffy but complete:

002.jpg

The real problem is the awful shopping center beyond. It should be rebuilt with stores up against the street and parking behind. Add a few stories of housing on top while you're at it.

Why do folks in East Boston do this to their storefronts?:

001.jpg

No class at all.

Btw, what's with this project?

The real problem is the awful shopping center beyond. It should be rebuilt with stores up against the street and parking behind. Add a few stories of housing on top while you're at it.

Concur. I told the Lombardo family's representives that at the last meeting in March. The success of this project would be a catalyst to the (incremental?) redevelopment of the entire plaza.

Why do folks in East Boston do this to their storefronts?

A lot of this happened in the 70's; as the neighborhood went through a metamorphosis, the owners of the three-deckers (often the first floor unit had been converted to retail decades ago) added a "maintenance free" facade, often with smaller windows (to enhance security?). I does look cheap and totally without care for the streetscape. If aluminum siding and chain-link fences are residential blight, this look is certainly the retail district version. There's plenty of it in Dorchester, Roxbury , and parts of JP as well. I wonder what our esteemed custodian of the built environment in East Boston has to say about this issue?

Btw, what's with this project?

Nuttin' -- likely tied up in financing hell. Consider: the views of downtown from these apartments would be great. Downside: the views of the Liberty Plaza, not so attractive...

Back