Proto | 88 Ames St | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Re: Ames Street Residence | 88 Ames Str. - Kendall Sq. | Cambridge

Nice. I like this one. Has anyone seen anything going on over there?

I work just down the street but walk by their frequently-ish and I haven't seen any real work yet as of about a week ago.

Nice. I like this one. Has anyone seen anything going on over there?
I walked by Saturday and there is action at this site. No site prep has begun yet.

They have seemingly been doing a lot of work on both the outside and inside of the garage over the past few months, which is undoubtedly in preparation for construction of this project.

Boston Properties is performing repairs on the garage. 30 years of New England weather have left their mark on the reinforced concrete.

I think the large gas main in Ames St is being relocated to make way for the building.

This one will be starting construction by March 1st. Partial demolition of the garage may start a bit sooner than that.

Early site work will be starting next week with the closure of the Ames St garage entrance.

All the tree along Ames St have been removed. Eversource is working on moving the transformer beside Mead Hall.

88 Ames has ceremonially broken ground!

https://twitter.com/VHBnow/status/721047031247024128

CgGsc-wWEAAkX4N.jpg

CgGsc_UW4AESpc1.jpg

CgGsdAqWQAAZN_F.jpg

I work nearby and I'm really looking forward to this one being completed. It is going to bring a lot of off-hours vitality to the area.

I work nearby and I'm really looking forward to this one being completed. It is going to bring a lot of off-hours vitality to the area.

Fattony -- are you sure? -- Gnurds at Google can shuttle back an forth between their beds in the Tower through the parking garage and into Google without coming into the sunlight :rolleyes:

Looking at the renders, this is how to make an average tower look good without gimmicks. Looks like precast and glass but done in a tasteful way. Its not always about the materials its about how you use them and how they work together. Cant wait to see this thing in the air.

Wait ... no comments on the dirt-in-a-box ceremony? Or have I been out of touch on how to break ground these days?

cca

I am not clicking on that ....

cca

Its the classic justin timberlake parody...link cant work for some reason anyways. It was on snl I believe. I don't really care about the dirt box Im just glad it looks like a quality development.

Wait ... no comments on the dirt-in-a-box ceremony? Or have I been out of touch on how to break ground these days?

cca

I really hate this new trend. It's so silly and spits in the face of the construction industry.

I believe this was done for the Pierce and the Hub on Causeway as well. I agree it is stupid.

I believe this was done for the Pierce and the Hub on Causeway as well. I agree it is stupid.

City-- it might have to do with weather or lack of actual site to dig such as if asphalt or concrete has to be removed first -- so they do it indoors

Stop sounding like every one of the construction traditions is sacrosanct -- for example how do you hoist the last beam with an evergreen on it, if the building is all poured concrete

Back