Providence Aerials

The photo DZH22 posted 12-28-2022 is probably about five to ten years old. The Brutalist style Fogarty Building across from the RI Convention Center in this photo was demolished in 2017. Many recently built new structures are not in this photo - Marriott Residence Inn (on site of Fogarty building), River House residences, Pedestrian Bridge (2019), 225 Dyer Street, 580 S Water Street residences, Nightingale residences, JWU Bowen Center, Emblem 225, Chestnut Commons, Garrahy Parking Garage, Parcel 6 residential building with Trader Joe's, and the Marriott Aloft Hotel.

The photo DZH22 posted 12-28-2022 is probably about five to ten years old. The Brutalist style Fogarty Building across from the RI Convention Center in this photo was demolished in 2017. Many recently built new structures are not in this photo - Marriott Residence Inn (on site of Fogarty building), River House residences, Pedestrian Bridge (2019), 225 Dyer Street, 580 S Water Street residences, Nightingale residences, JWU Bowen Center, Emblem 225, Chestnut Commons, Garrahy Parking Garage, Parcel 6 residential building with Trader Joe's, and the Marriott Aloft Hotel.

You can also see Fall River/Somerset in the background with the dominant structure(s) being the massive Cooling Towers at Brayton Point. Those were torn down in 2019, I believe. As a city nerd growing up in that area, I loved that you could see the Providence skyline from various points in Fall River - namely driving westbound over the Braga Bridge, from west-facing rooms and waiting areas at Charlton Memorial Hospital, and from the Highland Avenue side of North Park among others.

You can also see Fall River/Somerset in the background with the dominant structure(s) being the massive Cooling Towers at Brayton Point. Those were torn down in 2019, I believe. As a city nerd growing up in that area, I loved that you could see the Providence skyline from various points in Fall River - namely driving westbound over the Braga Bridge, from west-facing rooms and waiting areas at Charlton Memorial Hospital, and from the Highland Avenue side of North Park among others.

I just noticed that Tockwotten on the Waterfront is in the top left corner of the photo. It opened in 2013. The Fogarty Building that is also in the photo was eventually demolished in 2017. That dates the photo to sometime between 2013 and 2017.

Random found photo

1675235878885.png

This a great illustration of the ridiculousness of the surface parking lots to the left of the state house.

Only a small lot is needed for accessibility reasons—it's easy enough for the majority of workers just to park in one of the many state-owned lots across the street.

This a great illustration of the ridiculousness of the surface parking lots to the left of the state house.

Only a small lot is needed for accessibility reasons—it's easy enough for the majority of workers just to park in one of the many state-owned lots across the street.

It was even worse when cars were allowed to be parked on the front brick trimmed plaza by the Smith Street porte-cochere entrance. Their weight damaged it causing it to sink in some areas. I believe it was only banned some 20-30 odd years ago.

Last edited:
I am going to post some old aerial photos of Providence to give you a better idea of what the city once looked like.

Downtown some time between 1922 after completion of the Biltmore Hotel and before 1926 when work started on the Masonic Temple complex (now Marriott Renaissance). Note the massive rail yards that once separated the statehouse from the rest of downtown. Note the now removed spur line to the east Side Railroad Tunnel in the far right bottom corner. The tracks that once serviced the old Union Station were raised and sat atop a wall that had openings for street traffic at just a few places. None of the state offices had yet been built across from the statehouse along Smith Street as the neo Gothic St Patrick's Church and school complex occupied that spot. The large building to the bottom left of the statehouse was the previous home to what is today RI College. It eventually moved to its present 180 acre Mt Pleasant neighborhood campus in 1958 and this building then became the home for the URI Extension campus. It was demolished in the late 1990's to make way for the Providence Place Mall. The present Kennedy Plaza area in front of the Biltmore and City Hall was far different back then. The iconic Industrial National Bank Tower (built 1928) was not yet there as its site was then occupied by the Second Empire mansard roofed Butler Exchange Building (1873). The Central Fire Headquarters was on the opposite end of the park across from the Biltmore. The other big difference for the city was the absence of large highways such as Route 95 that cut off sections.
1676650764270.png

Last edited:
There had been a post which has since been deleted asking about the large building on Sabin Street near LaSalle Square in the old photo above where the Amica Mutual Pavilion (PPC/DDC) is now located. Here it is:
1676830460749.png
1676830604628.png

Last edited:

Back