Providence Construction

I spent an afternoon in Providence last week:
dsc05155ge0.jpg

dsc05156pr6.jpg

dsc05157ra5.jpg

dsc05158wc9.jpg

dsc05168nt7.jpg

I have had two unimpressive visits, but if you think I am wrong about the place, you are more than likely right. Its most likely my lack of experience with the city, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt (whatever that means). don't take me too seriously. I see potential, but for all the hype, I didn't get the impression I thought I would, and saw a lot of underutilized space and slums. The future of downtown looks bright, but it wasn't bustling. because it was Sunday maybe? Who knows. I keep hearing that I have to see more of the city to really like it, but personally, the more I see, the more I dislike. It could certainly be my own personal opinion, not to be taken any more seriously than just that. What do you like about it, compared to other interesting cities? Please dont take offense to my opinion, most people think the city I like the most (portland) is insignificant and full of hicks, so I realize one really has to inhabit a place to see what is so great about it. But please, fill me in on your thoughts.

I just think you need to see what kind of fun you could have here instead of playing devil's advocate about anything good said about the city.

do research, bring friends, and make a weekend out of the fun things to do here.. there is a good variety for all ages so you can't say there is nothing to do.

Just make sure you end the night at a bar :)

I had to drive to Providence College for a wedding and it was trash cans on fire type of scary ghetto. I'm sure that's not even close to the worst parts. The downtown looks pretty cool from the pics. Only other time I was in Providence was in college and went to the Italian neighborhood. Wish I had seen more.

yeah Im sure there is a lot im missing, but it did not seem like an overwhelmingly friendly place. i know all cities have rough edges, but providence seemed like it was all rough, with a pocket of wealth. Also, my friend who just graduated from JWU and now lives in boston was putting the city down, that probably didn't help my impression of it.

I've always liked Providence, but warmer weather and Waterfire definitely help the atmosphere. If you did not go to the Italian area, Federal Hill, then you didn't really see the city.

again.. just driving through or coming to the city for 1 little event..

don't judge a book by its coverrrr.

I guess you have to know the city's history in the past 20 yrs to appreciate where it is now. But.. if any of you cared that much, then you'd be posting on Urban Planet instead :p

Some pictures from a few weeks ago of Waterplace I, Waterplace II, and the new Westin tower.

DSC_3398.jpg

DSC_3399.jpg

DSC_3400.jpg

Great pics! Is there anyway that someone could take a panoramic view of Providence's skyline? I'd love to see what it looks like with the new towers.
Thanks!

Is providence built at a low level compared to its surroundings? I got the feeling I was always looking down at it, whether from the highway or from that Roger Williams statue...everything seems to be above the downtown, despite building heights.

Providence is built at sealevel +/- a few feet. Much of the areas surrounding Providence are hilly areas, like East Providence, Lincoln, Cranston, and Johnston.

Therefore, you'd be right in assuming that.

I have only been twice, so I was unsure. What a difference it wuold make if the city were built on a hill, like Portland. The skyline would be more dramatic. Burlington, VT is built in a valley so it has no skyline (well, that's not the only reason it has no skyline, the lack of any tall buildings might have something to do with it, too) and I notice something similar going on with Providence, though obviously less pronounced. geographical position can help a city out a lot.

The hills are on either side of downtown -- Federal Hill to the west, College Hill to the east. I find the whole package quite picturesque.

Ron Newman said:
The hills are on either side of downtown -- Federal Hill to the west, College Hill to the east. I find the whole package quite picturesque.

Some of the hilled streets are nice, with elegant homes, but on the whole I think the skyline would benefit if downtown were elevated above the rest fo the city.

But most downtowns I can think of are not -- they are along water. The Pittsburgh skyline is widely admired, and it's sandwiched into a river valley between high, steep hills.

Back