Providence developments

This article is about proposed hotels for Providence. The first two were to have been started this year but both faced delays. The second two hotels on the other side of I-95 are being built in an ever changing landscape. The area is part of Broadway/Federal Hill toward the West end which has been experiencing a revival due to the younger set moving in. Young couples and young families have been increasing in the area and many east side restaurants are opening second restaurants in this area. There is also a new hotel going up off of North Main Street in Corliss Park.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20160923/four-hotels-are-planned-for-providence

Anyone know what happened to the light rail/street car plan that was in limbo for downtown?

Nice! Any renderings?

http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ent-replica-of-fenway-including-green-monster

There were two in the original article, too.

The Apex site seems better - highway visibility and the opportunity to actually reclaim a site as opposed to ruining wetlands. From the poll, it seems the locals agree. Also, Larry, build the damn thing yourself - Rhode Island is in financial hell as it is.

24w5a8l.png

http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ent-replica-of-fenway-including-green-monster

There were two in the original article, too.

The Apex site seems better - highway visibility and the opportunity to actually reclaim a site as opposed to ruining wetlands. From the poll, it seems the locals agree. Also, Larry, build the damn thing yourself - Rhode Island is in financial hell as it is.

24w5a8l.png

Exactly. Also, why not take advantage of the river frontage and build a promenade or public park (so the space is publicly accessible 24/7 which would help ownership's case for how this benefits the community) instead of building a driveway and surface lot.

And why place the least activated side of the park (the towering blank wall) along Main St. Why not spin it so home plate is closest to the corner of Main and Broadway so the most active areas (box office, team shop, dining, retail, gates to the stands, etc.) are all right on the street?

And for emphasis- "build the damn thing yourself" is right.

Exactly. Also, why not take advantage of the river frontage and build a promenade or public park (so the space is publicly accessible 24/7 which would help ownership's case for how this benefits the community) instead of building a driveway and surface lot.

And why place the least activated side of the park (the towering blank wall) along Main St. Why not spin it so home plate is closest to the corner of Main and Broadway so the most active areas (box office, team shop, dining, retail, gates to the stands, etc.) are all right on the street?

And for emphasis- "build the damn thing yourself" is right.

The orientation of ballparks to face NE is actually in the MLB rules:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/lost-in-the-sun-the-physics-of-ballpark-orientation/

Now, that doesn't mean the final design should have a towering blank wall there. Once you're in the ballpark, it doesn't really matter what corner "home" is. Fenway's home plate is at Yawkey and Van Ness, but most people would intuitively guess that it's at Yawkey and Brookline. You can put a grand entrance in the outfield just fine.

I agree with you that they've rendered the right site in the wrong way. I hope that if they actually hire an architect they'll get something better :). Otherwise, it'll end up like Manchester.

fisher-cats-stadium.jpg

The orientation of ballparks to face NE is actually in the MLB rules:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/lost-in-the-sun-the-physics-of-ballpark-orientation/

Now, that doesn't mean the final design should have a towering blank wall there. Once you're in the ballpark, it doesn't really matter what corner "home" is. Fenway's home plate is at Yawkey and Van Ness, but most people would intuitively guess that it's at Yawkey and Brookline. You can put a grand entrance in the outfield just fine.

I agree with you that they've rendered the right site in the wrong way. I hope that if they actually hire an architect they'll get something better :). Otherwise, it'll end up like Manchester.

fisher-cats-stadium.jpg
Oh, gawd. Northeast Delta Dental Stadium is an eyesore. Every time I see it on my way up to work, I cringe.

^Apart from the surface parking, that's... that's not terrible. Especially if the development across the street ends up looking like the rendering (at least the scale).

Surface parking along the waterfront is, ehem, a big swing and a miss though. If I were in Pawtucket, I'd fight that aspect of the development tooth and nail. I think the requested investment from the city/state for a "publicly owned park" is pretty fair. However, Rhode Islander's are understandably sensitive and skeptical about these sorts of things. Coincidentally, the combined public investment (city/state) is $38 Million Dollars. 38 was Curt Schilling's number and part of the name of his failed Rhode Island company (38 Studios)- the poster child for bad Rhode Island investments. #Conspiracy #Illuminati

Back