View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

$125M+ isn't no minor cost for 3 floors, really makes me wonder what they've got planned...

Fixing the Pru or at least its Topfrom today's BBJ

Time to have someplace to discuss this

$125 M is a fair size building -- this one just happens to be 50 floors up
I wonder if any of that $125 M will go towards cleaning the exterior -- even just the little hat. a power-wash would do wonders.

Combine them both. Give obs deck visitors at TOTH discounts to the restaurant. like at the World Trade Center in New York does.

Last edited:
I wonder if any of that $125 M will go towards cleaning the exterior -- even just the little hat. a power-wash would do wonders.

The Pru looks grimy and can use a face-lift. I don't think the exterior has changed one iota since it opened in 64. I agree, I would hope the $125M will be used to improve the exterior, not just for the upper few floors.

Last edited:
$125M+ isn't no minor cost for 3 floors, really makes me wonder what they've got planned...

I immediately thought "They're changing the top to a circular revolving 3-story plate".
1 floor of observation deck, 1 floor of restaurant, 1 floor of private club.

That would justify $125 million.

There ya go - - the mystery is over! :giggle:

The Pru looks grimy and can use a face-lift. I don't think the exterior has changed one iota since it opened in 64. I agree, I would hope the $125M will be used to improve the exterior, not just for the upper few floors.

I remember in another thread speculation that the facade was pretty much at the end of its life (or coming up on it).

If you look at the top of the Pru
The current floor of the Observatory and the space under the "Top of the Hub" [aka the Top Hat]-- make that into the Penthouse of all Penthouses -- there is room for a small balcony going all around on the floor just below the Top Hat -- this 2 story Penthouse could easily command $50M as the highest [likely for a long time] largest [at a high perch] residence with best views in Boston

Maybe -- Bob Kraft buys it for Tom and Gisselle as a birthday present -- Tom stays -- Tom returns to being Tom for one more Lombardy Trophy and one more ring

The Top of the Hub then becomes an Uber 2 story observation deck with the story of Boston's landmaking in AR/VR -- you could walk out [virtually] and stroll Boston Neck at high tide when the Brits were camped just inside Boston's City Walls [there really were city walls during the Revolution when Washington laid Siege to Boston]

If you look at the top of the Pru
The current floor of the Observatory and the space under the "Top of the Hub" [aka the Top Hat]-- make that into the Penthouse of all Penthouses -- there is room for a small balcony going all around on the floor just below the Top Hat -- this 2 story Penthouse could easily command $50M as the highest [likely for a long time] largest [at a high perch] residence with best views in Boston

Maybe -- Bob Kraft buys it for Tom and Gisselle as a birthday present -- Tom stays -- Tom returns to being Tom for one more Lombardy Trophy and one more ring

The Top of the Hub then becomes an Uber 2 story observation deck with the story of Boston's landmaking in AR/VR -- you could walk out [virtually] and stroll Boston Neck at high tide when the Brits were camped just inside Boston's City Walls [there really were city walls during the Revolution when Washington laid Siege to Boston]

Who is going to pay $50M for that?!! As far as I'M concerned, it can stay like it is!!

Last edited:

I'm surprised that they haven't Changed the façade by now. It DOES look old & grimy!!!

From: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-boston-guardian/top-of-pru-will-be-observatory/3348742548520516

The Prudential Center’s former Top of the Hub site on the 52nd floor will become an observatory that Boston Properties hopes will attract 1,000,000 visitors annually.
Boston Properties, which owns the property, plans to transform the former restaurant into a second observation deck and create a separate entrance for the attraction. The Top of the Hub restaurant closed before the start of the pandemic when Boston Properties decided to not renew its lease.

Interesting why an observation deck needs to be 3 floors, are they turning it into a museum?

Interesting why an observation deck needs to be 3 floors, are they turning it into a museum?
Most likely an event space. The original observatory could be used for special events, but it was awkward. The restaurant space would make a very impressive event space. And with the advantage of having part of the space open to general visitors, with part closed off for a private event.

I find this very interesting in the Facebook article linked above:

Provost noted that the separate entrance will create a good user experience and make it easier for people to get in and out of the observatory.
“It will be over a two-year construction period for us to complete all of the work, and we obviously can’t start until we’re through the approval process,” Provost explained.
Guests would be able to access both floors by using elevators within the observatory.
The attraction will account for approximately 45,000 square feet of combined space that could be utilized by local groups and tourists alike for various exhibitions and educational opportunities for people visiting Boston for the first time.
“We’re planning something quite extraordinary, it’s not just a simple renovation,” Provost said.
Provost hopes it will be “a real driver for the local economy” and a nice addition for local residents and business as well.
“It’s a lot of work, it’s a significant investment that we’re making, and it’s over a two-year project to demolish and build this new tourist attraction,” Provost said.

In Chicago, they are adding an elevator and "thrill ride" to an existing building:

It's 185 million for the Chicago project and the Pru project is budgeted at 125 million. Does anyone think they might put an outside elevator on the Prudential as part of this makeover?

I hope that they aren't planning on doing any cosmetic changes to the outside of the tower. That Aon update is a travesty.

To clarify: It's 50 AND 52 - not 50 THROUGH 52. There will be an elevator between the two floors. I think 51 is mechanical or something?

Should be illegal, idk how aon isnt landmarked.
Chicago's Aon (nee Amoco?) because they already had to strip the exterior and redo it ingranite when the Carrara marble started cracking and falling off? When 2/3 of the original facing was crushed and used to decorate an oil refinery, I don't know how you landmark it. And as much as I love Edward Durrel Stone, this was bascially the stretch limo of his designs.

Is it me or does $125 million seem like A LOT of money for this? I understand from the article above, it is not just "a simple renovation" but over a tenth of a billion for this????!!

Chicago's Aon (nee Amoco?) because they already had to strip the exterior and redo it ingranite when the Carrara marble started cracking and falling off? When 2/3 of the original facing was crushed and used to decorate an oil refinery, I don't know how you landmark it. And as much as I love Edward Durrel Stone, this was bascially the stretch limo of his designs.
That really does strike true; the UMass Du Bois Library is basically a scale model of Aon, complete with failing facade issues, and he proposed a midscale version for Volpe.

Back