Public Food Market | 136 Blackstone Street | Haymarket | Downtown

Re: Public Food Market

haha well it's definitely delicious...but it can also be very destructive.

More than a few times I've hoofed it down to that market while extremely hungover and pounded one of those sandwiches. It definitely does the job.

Haha i was just thinking that it would make a great hangover cure...tho i'd probably need a nap after eating it anyway

When is the scheduled opening again???

When is the scheduled opening again???

"Soon."

Same as was three years ago. Same as it will be three years from now.

Always "soon".

From today's email from the Public Market Assoc:

Become a Vendor at the Boston Public Market!
The Boston Public Market is now seeking local businesses interested in becoming permanent vendors at the planned indoor market on the Greenway expected to open in June of 2015. The market will showcase the variety and quality of food grown, produced, or caught in Massachusetts and throughout New England. The first round of applications are due by May 9, 2014 and can be submitted through our website.

html link to email: http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=de24ff387426aea55d189c915&id=8bfcf386d4&e=a138979823

Not surprised they're looking for businesses now. They got approval for the market last night at the BRA Hearing.

Globe
BRA approves plans for public food market
By Casey Ross
Globe Staff April 19, 2014

8h9eblZ.jpg

With a major city approval in hand, developers of a long-planned public food market in Boston said they will start renovations this summer to transform an empty, state-owned building into a showcase for Massachusetts farmers, fisherman, and specialty food makers.

Plans for the year-round market along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway were approved Thursday night by the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The project, expected to cost $14 million, will include up to 45 vendors as well as a bakery, seafood raw bar, and demonstration kitchen staffed by local chefs.

“For people who live close to the market looking for fresh produce, this is going to be a godsend,” said Liz Morningstar, executive director of the nonprofit Boston Public Food Market, which will develop and manage the facility.

She added that more than 250 vendors have already expressed interest in opening in the facility, which will be housed in a building at the Haymarket MBTA station. The Boston Public Market began accepting formal applications this week.

The European-style market is expected to feature locally sourced meat, seafood, produce, dairy products, and other goods. Some vendors will begin selling on a plaza outside the market next month; the indoor facility is scheduled to open in summer 2015.

The weekend gathering of pushcart vendors at Haymarket will continue to operate as usual. Those vendors get their wares from a Chelsea distribution warehouse that receives shipments of fruits, vegetables, and other products from around the world.

Some members of the BRA board expressed concern that the pushcarts could be overshadowed by the new facility, but the market’s managers said the two operations will complement each other.

“The more retail activity you put in the market district, the more people will come there as a regional destination,” said Yanni Tsipis of Colliers International, a real estate firm that is advising the market project. “So we hope that this will help Haymarket.”

Boston is one of only a handful major cities in the country without a daily public food market to promote the products of local agriculture, even though state’s small-scale farming is among the most vibrant in the country.

Massachusetts ranks in the top 10 nationwide in the number of farmers markets as well as community-supported agriculture programs, which allow people to pay for weekly deliveries of products from local farms, according to data from the US Department of Agriculture’s 2012 agricultural census.

Governor Deval Patrick has strongly supported development of the public food market in Boston, providing $4 million in state funding to support its construction.

“Massachusetts is one of the few places where the number of farms is growing,” Patrick said in a statement. “The Boston Public Market will give local producers the chance to showcase what they are growing, and more of our residents a chance to eat local fare.”

So far, the market’s nonprofit manager has raised $9 million for the project, including the state’s funds, and is working to raise millions more to complete construction. The project also needs final approval from the Federal Highway Administration because the building is located on land above the Interstate 93 tunnel.

It is planned to be part of a larger market district between City Hall and the North End. The state recently selected a private developer to build a hotel and food store on public property adjacent to the market building. It is unclear when construction of that project will proceed.
Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Boston Public Market closing in on $15M needed for development

With construction slated to commence this fall on a farmer’s market at a vacant, state-owned building across from Boston City Hall, officials say they are getting close to reaching their fundraising goal for the 28,000 square‐foot project.

Liz Morningstar, executive director of the Boston Public Market Association (BPMA), the group that is developing the Boston Public Market at 136 Blackstone St., said her nonprofit has raised $5.2 million* so far toward the $15.2 million project. The cash raised does not include a commitment from the state of $4 million to build out the space. That leaves a gap of around $6 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...blic-market-closing-in-on-15m-needed-for.html

Haymarket fears war over produce
Eyes pact with Public Market

In a bid to protect the 184-year-old Haymarket, pushcart vendors at Boston’s open-air produce market want it in writing that the upcoming Boston Public Market won’t infringe on their territory.

The Haymarket Pushcart Association and Boston Public Market are working on a formal memorandum of understanding outlining what each will sell, where they’ll purchase it and where they’ll set up.

The two now have different niches. The pushcarts get their shipped produce from the wholesale New England Produce Center, buying what’s left over at the end of the week at a large discount and selling it very cheaply on Fridays and Saturdays.

Slated to open next June, the indoor, 28,000-square-foot Boston Public Market will sell only New England-sourced products — presumably higher priced — five days a week year-round.

Talks between the two sides are amicable, and both believe they’ll come to an agreement. But the pushcart group is worried the mission of the public market, which is funded with private and state money, could change over time.

“We’re very supportive of a farmers market per se, but we’re concerned long-term (that) what the commonwealth wants to do today may change tomorrow,” said Gus Serra, a Haymarket association member involved in the talks. “We’re looking to put an agreement together which would withstand the test of time. What we don’t want to have is the commonwealth subsidizing a project whereby a farmers market today becomes a competitive market for street vendors tomorrow.”

Haymarket vendors want the pact to spell out that the public market is prohibited from buying at the New England Produce Center and include financial penalties for violations.

“We’re the outlet for the New England Produce Center at the end of the week,” Serra said. “We’re …selling at a very reduced rate … for a lot of people in Boston who can’t afford to go anywhere else.”

There’s a lot of room for product diversification in the emerging “market district,” according to Boston Public Market CEO Liz Morningstar, who said research has shown both sides will benefit revenue-wise from their proximity.

“Most important is we are both dedicated to figuring out how to make it work,” she said. “They’ve been in continuous operation for over 100 years. We are, by designation from the state, not allowed to source from (the New England Produce) market …even if it is local.”

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2014/05/haymarket_fears_war_over_produce

Oh, man. If only everyone could get a guarantee that no other business will ever be allowed to compete with them. Wouldn't that be awesome!

I don't think that's the issue here. Rather, that liquidation produce and local-farmer produce each be properly labeled and differentiated from each other, if both are being sold on the same block.

This is really a huge non-issue.

Haymarket serves as the liquidation market for the New England Produce Center. It is at the bottom of the produce chain.

The Boston Public Market is focused on high quality, locally sourced foods, a regional showcase. It is at the top of the produce chain.

I you cannot tell the difference, then you deserve what you get. (Not that you cannot get good deals at Haymarket, but you can also get junk).

Disappointing to hear that the new "Public Market" sounds like it's going to be another phony "farmers' market" with precious crap like Sweet Caroline's Home-Made Strawberry Jam sold for $15 a jar and Capt. Ahab's Genuine Cape Cod Salt Water Taffy. Boston needs a real public market for vegetables (local or regional), cheeses, and other edibles, but the "curated," "artisanal" and just crazy-overpriced boutique offerings at so many Boston farmers' markets is depressing and does nothing to boost the real need for quality produce in Boston. There are so many other stellar models for markets in cities much less sophisticated than Boston...it will be unfortunate to watch this devolve into yet another tourist trap.* :(

*please, please, please surprise me; I would love to be wrong.

Disappointing to hear that the new "Public Market" sounds like it's going to be another phony "farmers' market" with precious crap like Sweet Caroline's Home-Made Strawberry Jam sold for $15 a jar and Capt. Ahab's Genuine Cape Cod Salt Water Taffy. Boston needs a real public market for vegetables (local or regional), cheeses, and other edibles, but the "curated," "artisanal" and just crazy-overpriced boutique offerings at so many Boston farmers' markets is depressing and does nothing to boost the real need for quality produce in Boston. There are so many other stellar models for markets in cities much less sophisticated than Boston...it will be unfortunate to watch this devolve into yet another tourist trap.* :(

*please, please, please surprise me; I would love to be wrong.

What brought you to that conclusion? Anything in particular?

Two things: 1) The clear lines being drawn between what the Haymarket "cheap produce" folks can offer vs. what this place will offer (which legislates reduced competition and protects one class of producer--I understand the desire to promote local but I think we all know how easily that is abused) and 2) the genre of "farmers' market" I've seen since coming to Boston (and granted, I've not been to all farmers' markets but I've tried to get to many of them). In some cities farmers' markets are bountiful (lots of variety) and while not cheap (most stuff is organic), not twee and ridiculous.

In one of the the transportation topics on this board, folks have commented on the silliness of the premium MBTA will pay for having new GL cars built in MA. Yes, you can brag that the trains are "made in MA" but if they are not particularly great and actually stand in the way of getting MORE new cars and a better transit system... WTF? Again, I really hope I'm wrong (and it's been known to happen :)) but the food situation in Boston has just been a constant shock to me. Both the quality: price ratio of what's on offer and how tolerant people seem to be of mediocrity as long as it's local mediocrity of long-standing (looking at you North End Italian restaurants). There is so much "world class" about Boston, it's just sad that standards are so low in terms of food/produce.

I agree with Tombstoner. The "markets" already in place at Copley Sq. and the former one along Cambridge St. at Govt. center sell wonderful stuff, but sooo over-priced it's ridiculous. Maybe a few bargains can be had, but generally most people can't afford to shop there weekly. It may be a convenience for those who live downtown and can't find a grocery store nearby except Trader Joe's or over-priced Shaw's. I just hope this new market will offer a couple of steps above Haymarket but several steps below the boutique offerings I've seen thus far.

It looks as though another farmer’s market is heading our way soon. Boston Hospitality and Tourism Industry blog reports that “The Boston Public Market Association will open a new outdoor farmers market on Monday May 19th outside the soon-to-open year-round Boston Public Market building at 136 Blackstone Street adjacent to the Rose Kennedy Greenway and Haymarket.”

This is according to the North End Regional Review which also states that the vendors will be offering “an assortment of local products, including farm fresh produce; meat, poultry and eggs; cheese and dairy; fish and shellfish; bread and baked goods; plants and flowers; and an assortment of specialty and prepared foods, including several lunch options.”

The article also reports that Boston’s new farmer’s market will be open “every Monday and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Thanksgiving.”
http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/...et-coming-to-boston-haymarket-t-station-area/

So how much overlap is there, either with respect to days and/or products from the New England Produce Center?

I agree with Tombstoner. The "markets" already in place at Copley Sq. and the former one along Cambridge St. at Govt. center sell wonderful stuff, but sooo over-priced it's ridiculous. Maybe a few bargains can be had, but generally most people can't afford to shop there weekly. It may be a convenience for those who live downtown and can't find a grocery store nearby except Trader Joe's or over-priced Shaw's. I just hope this new market will offer a couple of steps above Haymarket but several steps below the boutique offerings I've seen thus far.

The problem is that "locally grown" products are always going to be expensive here in New England. Farmers here pay real wages, comply with OSHA regulations, often follow organic farming principals, have short growing seasons...

Even with transportation costs, produce grown here will always be more expensive (in general) than produce grown in Mexico, or even southern parts of the US where most of the labor is undocumented.

Back