Public Food Market | 136 Blackstone Street | Haymarket | Downtown

Globe: Tensions flare at Boston Public Market

Grocers and artisans in the market are worried about it becoming a soulless lunch-rush-focused "food court", but prepared food vendors and places for their customers to eat are important in keeping the crowd coming through the doors. An interesting dilemma...

Well, it just is another proof that there is something sickly and constraining about the way Boston metes out licenses to serve food and drink. We need so much more in this city than we have.

As much as I love the concept, I can't afford to buy stuff there regularly, and my wife and I make a comfortable living. Why buy a free range, organic, non GMO carrot for $3.99 at BPM when I can get carrots 10 for $1 at Haymarket (that's an exaggeration, I know). Plus, all the yuppies hang out there (that unfair, I know). Despite the nature of the vendors, the place feels less than organic in terms of aesthetic...kinda forced. I don't get that feeling in Reading Terminal Market, although I haven't been there in a while. I want to like this place...I want to love it, but I just can't. I will say this...best pastrami sandwich I've ever had.

It will be interesting to see what happens once Faneuil Hall Marketplace is redone. I think the BPM is taking the place of it for many people, at least for now.

We need that big "BOSTON PUBLIC MARKET" sign with the silver letters on top of the building.

BPM is an awkward size--not big enough to really be a real farmers' market + gourmet foods mall (though it does better on the latter than the former), and just big enough to accentuate the food-courty aspects. It kinda turned out as I expected. Twee vegetables lovingly curated by someone named Melissa meets sandwiches and ice cream with the addition of a few really nice gourmet shops. Not very special.

I think it will be even more successful once they build the new hotel/restaurant across the street, which will also have market space on the ground floor, and in the warm weather months where the market is spilling out onto Blackstone St between the buildings.

Well, it just is another proof that there is something sickly and constraining about the way Boston metes out licenses to serve food and drink. We need so much more in this city than we have.

FK -- What we need is an Uber or AirBNB for food and drink

Entrepreneurs -- you have your marching orders

whigh -- What we need is a way for people to share information electronically over long distances.

Entrepreneurs -- you heard it here first

whigh -- What we need is a way for people to share information electronically over long distances.

Justin -- did you just arrive from London on the latest sailing ship? -- I think Mr. Morse, Prof. Bell and Senior Marconi have some relevant inventions which you might want to investigate

This made me laugh.

Whig, check out DoorDash or DiningIn or one of the other many similar concepts.

Disruption. You heard it here first. Entrepreneurs, you have your marching orders.

Disruption. You heard it here first. Entrepreneurs, you have your marching orders.

Underground -- if you can't do Disruptive Innovation -- then at least like the Verizon picketers on Pleasant St in Lexington -- you can try to be disruptive of the repair of broken FIOS lines :mad:

From today's Globe:

BigPicture in some 3 or so years the New Fangled version of the old market district should re-emerge with:
  • a clean-ed-up and de-3rd-world-ized Hay Market,
  • by then a "nearly venerable" Public Market
  • the new hotel with the new market
  • along with the renewed Quincy market complete with the new glass whatever-market

that should be enough market for nearly anyone -- and of course be remiss in not mentioning the food trucks and crafty peoples along the Greenway and the weekly summer farmers's market in Dewey square

Back