Public Food Market | 136 Blackstone Street | Haymarket | Downtown

I know it's a completely different animal, but I'd kill for something resembling the stalls surrounding Tsukiji fish market. I have some sashimi knives I bought for next to nothing there.

I'd also love to have some cheap food ala Tsukiji here. The stalls there selling fried food, fresh sashimi, pickled veggies, etc. are awesome. And then there are some slightly higher-end restaurants in the mix where you can get a $50 bowl of sea urchins.

Sadly, Tsukiji market in its current form won't be around for too much longer either. It is going to be moved and redeveloped. Hopefully the new market will be just as nice though.

So I just noticed that on the vendor map, the area that contains booths 45 and 46 is still blocked off/under construction. Anybody know if/when those are going to be opened up? Or would those only be finished once the remaining empty stalls fill?

B-B-B-bump. Now that it's been open a short while and the "newness" has presumably worn off somewhat, I'm interested to hear if anyone's been there recently, and what the vibe was (regulars? tourists? locals? busy?)

It's packed still. There's a place that does bread, cheese, and charcuterie plates for $6. It's a great lunch and I get it at least once a week. The outside vendors don't have the same crowds, but everyone inside is doing a killer business. Well, maybe not the overpriced wooden kitchen wares, but most are doing well.

As Lrfox reports, it's super-busy (actually, even the over-priced wooden wares were doing okay on the 3 occasions I was there :)).
In terms of the vibe, it seems like it is more of a touristy novelty (rather than genuine shopping and noshing) destination for the moment (understandably). I went there with NYC friends to show it off and hopefully do an impromptu picnic (as you can at most city markets) but it's not really set up for that. Not just limited seating but no plates, utensils, ways of cutting or serving things you buy... I asked the folks at a cheese stall if they could slice the hunks cheeses we bought into smaller pieces and got a somewhat terse "well...if we have time we might do that for you, but it's not really our job" (and at that moment there was a 2-to-1 staff to patrons ratio). Again, everything's got that "new market smell" at the moment and I look forward to that evolving into something a bit more food hall.

As Lrfox reports, it's super-busy (actually, even the over-priced wooden wares were doing okay on the 3 occasions I was there :)).
In terms of the vibe, it seems like it is more of a touristy novelty (rather than genuine shopping and noshing) destination for the moment (understandably). I went there with NYC friends to show it off and hopefully do an impromptu picnic (as you can at most city markets) but it's not really set up for that. Not just limited seating but no plates, utensils, ways of cutting or serving things you buy... I asked the folks at a cheese stall if they could slice the hunks cheeses we bought into smaller pieces and got a somewhat terse "well...if we have time we might do that for you, but it's not really our job" (and at that moment there was a 2-to-1 staff to patrons ratio). Again, everything's got that "new market smell" at the moment and I look forward to that evolving into something a bit more food hall.

Tomb -- not to be the downer [to quote someone a few posts ago] but if you could compare the Boston Market favorably to Wilson Farms on Pleasant St. in Lexington --- then the Boston Market just might have something:

At the recent Tomato Fest [Aug 29, 30] -- a localavor had access to the usual excellent produce, meats, cheese, sea food and bakery items but also free samples from local vendors of Marinara, Fresh Mozzarella, Wilson's Executive Chef Raymond Ost was personally dishing out free samples of Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho, Roasted Plum Tomato Provencal and other delicacies

Reasonably priced prepared items and ease of access from RT-2 or Alewife via a nearly express run of the 76 bus

11894669_1018675868152457_4876640859168671246_o.jpg

Thanks--I didn't know about this. I may try to trek up there; quality food at a good price remain the only thing about Atlanta that I pine for...

Thanks--I didn't know about this. I may try to trek up there; quality food at a good price remain the only thing about Atlanta that I pine for...

If you come by bus make sure that you take the #76 from Alewife - it zips up RT-2 and makes its first stop right outside Wilson Farm

This time of the year the locally grown produce is amazing featuring multiple varieties of tomatoes, corn, beans, salad greens, raspberries, apples, nectarines, peaches, melons[

By the way -- it is a real farm with over 30 acres in Lexington of real crops, chickens, a couple of cows, greenhouses and a Llama who gets walked along the sidewalk like a big dog

check out their website and facebook pages for current specials, etc.

http://www.wilsonfarm.com/v2.0/home.php

Wilson Farms is indeed fantastic, but quite unrelated. I'm really glad to hear the positive recent reports about the market. Hope to get back there myself, soon.

Re: Wilson's - great haunted house too, in October at least (source: born & raised in East Lexington)

It is a nice try, but I am concerned about pricing as a function of selection. There was little there that we could not find elsewhere, in larger quantities, for less money. We were there on Sunday morning and heard a number of folks, sans bags, complaining about prices. Most were clearly tourists, but folks on vacation are often given to spending a bit more for things: many were unhappy, even walking away from cashiers. Further, there are two worrisome areas of empty space (near the handicapped accessible ramp in the back - electrical outlet alley - and the wine sales group, whose sign still said coming in "late August"). It felt more "Southstreet Seaport" and less "Embarcadero".

I stopped by for the first time today. Thought that the layout was a bit odd, but some very fantastic vendors. I kinda agree that the market still needs to find itself, but it's brand spanking new, I think it will be interesting to watch it evolve.

Stopped by Inna's Kitchen for the knishes - got the meat and potato ones, very tasty. They also gave me a sample of the shawarame? and I think that will be my next order!
I did mentioned that they were getting good reviews on this forum.

Especially since directly behind the viewer's perspective in this picture is the current public market.

I drive by this ugly empty lot daily, such a shame.

That was posted Oct 2014 what is the holdup?

I drive by this ugly empty lot daily, such a shame.

That was posted Oct 2014 what is the holdup?

I've been wondering the same thing...This seems like a no-brainer.

Back