Public Food Market | 136 Blackstone Street | Haymarket | Downtown

Ever since the market opened, I've seen the "how's the knish" question posed a hundred times. Maybe I've never had a great knish but is a knish really something to be excited about? In my perhaps controversial opinion, knish = Eastern European Hot Pocket

You've probably never had a great knish. A great knish is something to kvell about.

BonMe is $8.50 for a noodle salad vs. $7 for the same thing on the truck. Everything seems to be overpriced (as expected). That being said, it's really great to have. I'll be back.

It was okay but rather small, and not the one I wanted, the spinach one.

I also got knishes there the other day and they gave me the wrong one too. I guess they need to label them better.

Also enjoyed getting donuts, though I heard from someone that they've temporarily canceled deliveries due to the new shop. There was some produce I'd think about picking up, like some chili peppers that aren't too common in supermarkets.

Yes, it's overpriced, but it's nice to have something bearing the standard for quality on the Boston food products scene.

What's up with that sign hanging from the ceiling in Pike Place? Does that give them legal cover to kick out homeless people or something?

19778316794_c50b0676ef_b.jpg

20400964575_c0891435b9_b.jpg

20212918240_29b73a8a81_b.jpg

19780049103_db510957e2_b.jpg

20212921020_4f2128e1bf_b.jpg

20374725506_f0f9b133e0_b.jpg

20374726276_c5852020a7_b.jpg

20407152601_bc3a7d6906_b.jpg

20374728886_545a7b76a5_b.jpg

20374729886_40b8c395e7_b.jpg

20400975435_5b16485164_b.jpg

20214349729_6dc448f3aa_b.jpg

20212993878_692335d5a0_b.jpg

19778331924_33c9fed715_b.jpg

Great pix! Thanks for that nice little photo essay.

I must say, I freaking love the MEP/FP in this place. It's crazy and just all over the place.

Great pix! Thanks for that nice little photo essay.

I must say, I freaking love the MEP/FP in this place. It's crazy and just all over the place.

I would agree with everything Data said but I haven't a clue what MEP/FP means though I'll assume it's similar to wicked high energy?

Also, quick question. Have all the vendors set up their booths yet?

Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection. What a normal person would incorrectly call HVAC.

I'd estimate that ~80% of booths are set up with the remaining spots to be filled by the end of this month. There also appears to be a restaurant that will be opening soon.

the inside vibe is looking better than I expected! Hope it continues beyond the Summer months.

Can anyone take some outside/facade pics?

Can anyone take some outside/facade pics?

I'll second that request - curious to see if they turned the smokestack for the Oneill into an illuminated M (for market) as was indicated in one of the proposal docs...

Visited yesterday - guess my opinion is slightly different than most of yours. While it is a welcomed little addition, it felt a bit contrived and certainly a bit sterile. I was at Reading Terminal in Philly for the 1st time last summer and our Market really pales by comparison. I realize that it's brand new, and I hate to be a downer, but I was underwhelmed.

I went there today with two of my kids. We all thought it was great. The one criticism I have is that it's kind of small. The vendors were great and seem likely to be actively useful, something I can't say about some other such markets [cough SF ferry terminal], but it was really small compared to, say, L.A.'s Grand Central Market (which is thoroughly awesome). As the garage project progresses, I hope the long term plan is for something larger. This has great potential, just needs to ultimately be bigger.

I went there today with two of my kids. We all thought it was great. The one criticism I have is that it's kind of small. The vendors were great and seem likely to be actively useful, something I can't say about some other such markets [cough SF ferry terminal], but it was really small compared to, say, L.A.'s Grand Central Market (which is thoroughly awesome). As the garage project progresses, I hope the long term plan is for something larger. This has great potential, just needs to ultimately be bigger.

I agree with this. I think that if/when the International Market ever opens combined with the outdoor vendors at Haymarket, Boston could have a pretty unique, relatively large market area.

I know it's a completely different animal, but I'd kill for something resembling the stalls surrounding Tsukiji fish market. I have some sashimi knives I bought for next to nothing there. This market is much higher end, but I still love it. I work nearby and my only complaint is that it's not open Monday and Tuesday.

???

I'm not familiar with this project. Info?

Sorry, I'm thinking of the Greenway Parcel 9 project which is a hotel with 2 floors of market stalls. I swear I saw a rendering somewhere that had "International Marketplace" written all over it but now I can't find anything. This is what I was thinking of though. The current Public Market, the outdoor Haymarket, and the potential indoor market at Parcel 9 could make for a nice market area for the city albeit not a massive contiguous indoor market like Reading Terminal or Eastern Market in Detroit.

Back