Quebec City

Lrfox

Reaction score
I just returned from a weekend in Quebec City. I had heard good things about the place, but in just 3 days, it absolutely blew my mind. I may not be as well traveled as the majority of the forum here, but I've been to cities in Europe, Asia, South America, and of course, North America but Quebec City easily became a favorite in only a short period of time.

The place has it all. Gorgeous architecture, friendly people, good performing arts, GREAT restaurants, narrow streets that immerse you in the feel of the city's culture and history, beautiful mountain views, and a GENUINE European feel, low crime, etc. Perhaps best of all, it's VERY affordable to even someone on my kind of budget.

I can't put into text what I feel about the place after only such a short time but I do have some photos to share (I took TONS, this is but a brief sampling):

View from my hotel room (Loews Le Concorde... great location, but I felt like I was missing out staying here and not at one of the Inns in the Old City):

The Loews Le Concorde Quebec City from Grand Allee (Quebec's "Champs de Elysees" ):

The Grand Allee Scene:

Looking toward the St. Louis Gate and the entrance to the "old city" from Grand Allee:

The rest are various shots from the cityscape in the "Old City":

Again, a brief sampling, but I can't put into words how amazing this city is. Absolutely breathtaking. I cannot wait to go back and for those who haven't been, it's just about as far away as Baltimore (though minus the traffic as you drive through rural Maine and Canada) and a lot cheaper so go!

Last edited:
Thank you for this! I visited here ten years ago with the fam (back when I was a teenager), and I've been aching to return ever since. At the time I hadn't been to Europe, and one of the few things I remember was thinking, "so THIS is what it was like way back when." It was the first earnestly European city I had ever been to, and it was quite the eye opener. Plus, I'm very French Canadian (father is a first gen. American, about 90% Fr. Canadian, with a dash of Huron indian for good measure), so I relate to the city on a somewhat personal level. Your shots of the Old City brought back lots of memories of wandering around with the family.. thanks.

Nice pictures! How was the night life?

Achingly beautiful, livable, and the solution to environmental, energy, economic and political problems that face the nation and the world. Too bad building like this is illegal almost everywhere in North America --including most places in Boston outside the core.

The culprit is zoning --the aggregate of opinions of all the professionals in power who supposedly know better what is good for us.

I only once met a planner whose head wasn't up his ass.

Thank you for this! I visited here ten years ago with the fam (back when I was a teenager), and I've been aching to return ever since... thanks.

No Problem. I hope you get back soon. I can't believe I've missed out on this place for as long as I have.

Nice pictures! How was the night life?

Awesome for a city this size (about 750,000 Metro... 425,000 city). We had the real night clubs next to the hotel which were great. They were fun, loud, LARGE (Dagobert had a Great AC/DC coverband on the first floor, Dancing on the Second, and Lounging on the third with a view down onto the dance floor the "scenery" was great (lots of talent) and no one was too aggressive or pushy. I saw a few Jazz clubs, but didn't make it in. Sounded good from the street though.

There's a good pub scene too. I like some of the local microbrews (brought a few home with me) but others were a bit more subpar. Overall, very impressive and diverse. certainly something for everyone at night.

Achingly beautiful, livable, and the solution to environmental, energy, economic and political problems that face the nation and the world. Too bad building like this is illegal almost everywhere in North America --including most places in Boston outside the core.

I was very impressed with the environmental awareness of the city. there was minimal automotive traffic, plenty of Pedestrian only streets, a little electric bus service called, I think, "ecolobus" (I accidentally snapped a picture of one... eighth photo down). People walked EVERYWHERE even at 6am when it was about 25 degrees. Everyone was fit, and the city was super clean. It really is a European city lost over seas. I can't get over the beauty. looking out the hotel room window every morning was absolutely breathtaking and it wasn't a $500/night hotel. My room on the 17th floor was about $120/ night. The city is incredibly affordable given all it offers. beers at the nicest bars and clubs were $3-$6CA (pricier at the hotels though) and meals were relatively cheap.

I liked that parking was more expensive even though it's not hard to park. There were MANY open spots along even the busiest streets. This encourages more people to walk I think. My car (much to the chagrin of some of my company) stayed in the hotels garage from the time we got there until we went home.

I can't imagine how these "planners" can visit places like this and then take their work a completely different direction. Even if materials are too expensive, the basic concepts can be applied. Every corner had some different focal point, the buildings each had something unique and the facades were all diverse both in color and material. It was hard, even to someone without a fascination (i.e. my girlfriend) to take their eyes off of the buildings.

Cool shots, I've always wanted to visit. Time to get a passport I suppose. Would I need to bring some sort of language translator?

You still don't have to have a passport to go to Canada, right?

Also, I believe a new "Americas" proof of ID is coming out in 2009.

Anyone?

You DO need a passport to get in. Birth Certificates don't cut it anymore.

It would help if you knew a little French, but you don't need to speak it fluently. I don't know any and I did just fine. Most of the locals speak English as a second language and willingly do so for tourists but an effort to speak in French is always appreciated (even if it's as simple as, "bonjeur!" Most signs, menus, notifications, etc are in both English and French and servers, hotel clerks, etc all speak both languages.

If you venture outside the city a bit, you'll find fewer people speak English. I had trouble in St.-Gorges (about an 1-1/2 hours south) at a restaurant.

new "Americas" proof of ID? what do you mean?

*Edit* Corey, it's not that bad of a drive. It was 5.5 hours from my apartment on Congress St. with stops in Skowhegan, Jackman, and St.-Gorges. Straight up 201 which becomes 173 when you hit the border and continues straight into the city. It's pretty, there's no traffic, and it's not too long.

Thanks it's been 20 years since I've been there not much has changed,beautiful city!

The following is about the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative".

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security?s website.

* CURRENTLY:
U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver?s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

* LATER:
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

THE U.S. PASSPORT CARD IS NOW IN PRODUCTION!

We began production of the U.S. Passport Card on July 14. To date, we have received and adjudicated well over 350,000 applications for the U.S. Passport Card. Customers who submitted an application for the U.S. Passport Card prior to production, will receive their Passport Card between now and early September.

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Source: US Department of State

^I stand corrected. I was told that we needed a passport over the phone when making hotel reservations. Thanks for that info.

No, I think you're right, I was wrong. Well, I guess you can LEAVE the country without a passport, you just can't get back in!

Back in June I forgot my passport crossing from Canada. Stopped at Derby Line, Vt. Guard says: "Where's your passport." I say: "At home in the desk, but don't worry, I can sneak across in downtown Derby". He says: "Nah, just bring it next time."

Well, due to the fact that I'm saving for a stay in Brussels while studying, my "vacation budget" was relatively limited this year. So instead of going somewhere in Europe or the Caribbean, I had to keep it relatively local. Thankfully, I convinced my girlfriend that Quebec City is still fun in December and we returned. Even in the brutal cold (it was -17 one morning) it's one of my favorite places on earth. Arguably the most beautiful city in North America.

Anyway, here are some of the photo highlights:

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Last edited:
What is hanging over that pedestrian street? Santa's laundry?

Who would design such a small bus and I love santa's laundry...

Who would design such a small bus and I love santa's laundry...

It did look like Santa's Laundry... Not sure I understood that one.

That bus is the "Ecolobus"... it's free and it's electric powered. It has a range of 100km and a max speed of 33 km/h. It has a capacity of 21 people, believe it or not (though it felt full with 12). Inside the bus it says it costs $3.00 Canadian to power it for an entire day. Of course the city has a fleet of regular buses, but the Ecolobus does an excellent job serving its route (which is limited to the Old City, Old Port, and Parliament Hill). It's clean, efficient, and certainly unique. It would be great for Central Boston and I think it would make an excellent option for a route between the college hill/ downtown Providence area. I'm surprised there aren't more of these things out there.

here are a few more shots of the bus:
IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0264-1.jpg

Lrfox, I was in Quebec City this summer and your photos reminded me that I wanted to post some. This was my first time there since I was about 6 years old.

I hope you don't mind sharing your thread with my pics.

img4753b.jpg

img4775n.jpg

img4782c.jpg

img4784hs.jpg

img4798qm.jpg

img4799.jpg

img4804u.jpg

Taken through my Ray-Bans:
img4817z.jpg

img4818w.jpg

img4827.jpg

img4883rp.jpg

img4840.jpg

img4861.jpg

img4889f.jpg

img4937e.jpg

img4932.jpg

I may not be as well traveled as the majority of the forum here, but I've been to cities in Europe, Asia, South America, and of course, North America

I don't think there are many astronauts on here...

My sister is going up this week, and is psyched. looks great

wow this thread has convinced me i need to check this place out!

Back