Quincy Center Redevelopment

In the render above the bridge right in front of the building is the new Generals bridge that is an extension of Clivden st.
ShadleyAssociates_11soquincy_01_so.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/south/2018/03/09/new-bridge-link-busy-areas-quincy-center/McDOdTm2XhyKUikII0uTGJ/amp.html

Then the 2 gray buildings across the street and down to the left are Clivden place, which are complete but I dont have a picture.
Cliveden-Place-1545-Hancock-Street-Quincy-Center-MA-MBTA-Red-Line-Galvcon-Development-The-Galvin-Companies-Developer-Moeser-Associates-Architect-Galvin-Construction-Company-Project-2.jpg

http://www.bldup.com/projects/cliveden-place

Lots of development goin on here its great to see the grid better connected and empty lots filled in. Quincy is really stepping up and providing an outlet to take pressure off of Boston from having to build all of the housing to fit everybody.

More PoMo than historicist. The only thing remotely classical about it is the partially brick facade and the cornice. Looks like some standard 80s or 90s "traditional" suburban crap.

Makes me think of 784 Memorial Dr.
Not sure that's something to be emulated.

I noticed that the Fours has some nice renderings of what their corner of Quincy Center will look like when all is said and done. Its definitely all connecting together much better these days.
Its also kinda jarring standing on Hancock and seeing the old Quincy Center on one side of the street and the new on the opposite. I fully expect to see those older buildings gradually get replaced relatively quickly.

More PoMo than historicist. The only thing remotely classical about it is the partially brick facade and the cornice. Looks like some standard 80s or 90s "traditional" suburban crap.

It actually reads more like an office building than residential. Sometimes boring and straightforward is a better idea.

I would have guessed "botique medical office" in Woburn or Burlington. Probably some dentists, an orthodontist, and others lol.

People are going to go to Quincy and think "wow, this place was really booming during the '80s and '90s"

Its definitely an improvement over the 1980s Orlando design they had before.

The architecture of "Chestnut Place" has evolved from offensive to unremarkable and that's an improvement. The issue with the project is that it's a step backward from an urbanity standpoint. The driveway is a fairly obvious offender, but the "green space" replaced wall-to-wall retail spots. Granted, they were not remarkable architecturally, and toward the end of their days the tenants certainly weren't what people target for a gentrifying neighborhood; but the replacing urban wall-to-wall retail spaces with "green space" isn't ideal.

The architecture of "Chestnut Place" has evolved from offensive to unremarkable and that's an improvement. The issue with the project is that it's a step backward from an urbanity standpoint. The driveway is a fairly obvious offender, but the "green space" replaced wall-to-wall retail spots. Granted, they were not remarkable architecturally, and toward the end of their days the tenants certainly weren't what people target for a gentrifying neighborhood; but the replacing urban wall-to-wall retail spaces with "green space" isn't ideal.

Agreed. This

Should not be happening anymore. If we cant trust developers to do whats best for the community, then its going to need to be legislated in. Its common knowledge by now that active street levels, walkability etc.. are better for everyone. Having a secluded private entrance hurts them in the long run when the area is less desirable. If we cant trust the people whos job it is to create this, were going to have to put mandates in with development or its going to be a disaster. I wanna pull my hair out sometimes. Youd think by now something like this would never be built again, its already hard enough trying to fix past mistakes, but it seems some are stuck in their ways. I was just noting that the tower itself looks better than before, but ground level is a disaster.

If we cant trust developers to do whats best for the community, then its going to need to be legislated in. Its common knowledge by now that active street levels, walkability etc.. are better for everyone. Having a secluded private entrance hurts them in the long run when the area is less desirable. If we cant trust the people whos job it is to create this, were going to have to put mandates in with development or its going to be a disaster. I wanna pull my hair out sometimes. Youd think by now something like this would never be built again, its already hard enough trying to fix past mistakes, but it seems some are stuck in their ways. I was just noting that the tower itself looks better than before, but ground level is a disaster.

I am no expert on Quincy zoning regulations, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if that setback is required. Bad street levels are often the product of zoning rules, not the product of developer decisions in spite of them.

Looks like the buildings going up at Assembly, just with a worse ground level.

They may be taller but they look terrible. Not to mention they must have 1 company making the glass cladding for EVERY building in the city! Monotony, thy name is Toronto. Suburban Toronto is the ugliest "first world" area I have ever experienced in person. Mississauga is probably the worst of the bunch. I weep at the thought of Mississauga.

Note the new mid-rise at lower left. Believe that was previously a block of low-rise retail, now it's a blank gray parking garage wall. Congrats Quincy for creating a new downtown dead zone soon to be suburbanized further with this open space.

Back