Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

I'm sorry, I don't get this ... "redesign" the park????????????? What the hell were they doing when they put in the greenery and waterfalls??

And why is this only going out to bid now, the Greenway's been done for a year ... and it took twenty!

Mayor Menino Announces Design Team for Mary Soo Hoo/Chinatown Gateway Park

Mayor Thomas M. Menino today joined the Chinatown community, the Boston Redevelopment Authority and Transportation Secretary James A. Aloisi, Jr. to announce that a design team has been selected to renovate Mary Soo Hoo Park, also known as Chinatown Gateway Park. The design team, Stephen Stimson Associates of Boston and Falmouth, MA, was awarded a $50,000 design services contract yesterday at the BRA?s Board of Directors meeting. The BRA will now host three public meetings to finalize the design with the community before the work begins. The Mass. Turnpike Authority, which owns the land, has committed $160,000 toward the cost of the renovations.

?I?m delighted to be here today as we move forward with plans to renovate Mary Soo Hoo/Chinatown Gateway Park,? Mayor Menino said. ?Now that we have a design team in place, we will work with the community to finalize the design. It won?t be long now until we will have an improved park space that will be welcoming for people of all ages, with a playground for children and a connection to the Greenway and the surrounding Chinatown neighborhood.?

In August 2009, Mayor Menino announced that the park would now be called Mary Soo Hoo Park, in honor of the late longtime resident, community activist and Chinatown Caf? owner. On August 5, 2009, the BRA released a Request for Proposals for design consultant services to renovate the park. The purpose of the design services is to update the park?s amenities and play space ? specifically addressing the site design issues of accessibility, landscape, irrigation, pavements and drainage, sculptural play elements, site lighting, site furnishings, and park signage ? while also visually and physically connecting the site to the adjacent Chinatown Park of the Rose Kennedy Greenway and the Chinatown Gate.

Five proposals were received and were reviewed by a seven member selection committee. Members included representation from: the BRA - the site?s original developer and currently facilitating/funding the redesign; Boston Parks - responsible for past maintenance and site management; Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy - committed to future site maintenance and management as a part of the adjacent Chinatown Park; Mass Turnpike Authority - current owner of the site and funding a portion of the construction of the new design.

?Our transportation agencies should always be looking to make investments like the one we're making today in the Mary Soo Hoo Park ? investments that strengthen communities, improve public health and lead to a brighter future,? said Transportation Secretary James A. Aloisi, Jr. ?We are excited to partner with the City of Boston to enhance this important neighborhood and connection to the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.?

Stephen Stimson Associates met all of the qualifications and criteria set forth in the RFP and demonstrated a cohesive team with great knowledge of the park and surrounding community in their interview. The interview also confirmed their excellent design and process skills, where they focused in on each of the significant design challenges within the current park: repair and enhancement of the park?s vegetated environment; attention to the park?s context and the importance of connections through the park to neighboring spaces; engaging the adjacent vent structure as a park feature; highlighting design opportunities for cultural activities, community education, multi-generational play, and site interpretation.

The Chinatown Gateway Park was originally built in 1983 as a complement to the installation of the adjacent historic Chinatown Gate. The new design is estimated to take approximately 8 months with the public meetings beginning in December 2009. Construction is expected to start in summer 2010.

I'm sorry, I don't get this ... "redesign" the park????????????? What the hell were they doing when they put in the greenery and waterfalls??

And why is this only going out to bid now, the Greenway's been done for a year ... and it took twenty!

Mayor Menino Announces Design Team for Mary Soo Hoo/Chinatown Gateway Park

easy tiger, i think the gateway park site is the area south of the Gate, along Hudson street, around the old ventilation structure.

Just left J.J.Foley's a few minutes ago, happened to look right. All the "Dainty Dot" lettering has been stripped off the building. The blandification begins.

So is this project approved?

According to the BRA website it is approved. That doesn't mean it has financing.

What this project does have, is a developer who has experience as a contractor, and thinks he can get everything for much cheaper than it really will be. He is constantly meddling in design, and really just creating issues that aren't there. I suspect significant changes once he sees the real price tag.

I'm not personally involved in the project per se, but I get regular reports from the meetings.

Idiot developer and desperate economic times. Hmmm. Do I see the worst building in 50 years coming our way?

Idiot developer and desperate economic times. Hmmm. Do I see the worst building in 50 years coming our way?

Luckily it won't be big enough to do any serious damage.

I'd call demoing Dainty Dot 'serious'.

I meant specifically visual damage, though I didn't actually say that, so you are right.

Unless they replace Dainty Dot with a building of equal or greater craftsmanship (which, of course, they won't) than yes, this project will do significant visual damage to the area.

Unless I'm still not understanding what you are saying. (Which is possible, my head is a bit foggy right now)

The lettering was so redolent of another era. (Perhaps an architectural salvage company might scoop the letters?) This is such a mistake...

Unless I'm still not understanding what you are saying. (Which is possible, my head is a bit foggy right now)

Lemme spell it out: So there is a pretty good chance that something ugly is going to be built here, right? Well, given where it is located and how tall the final product will be, it isn't going to stand out enough to do any visual damage. It will just blend into the great skyline.

But I have to confess that I've never thought the DD building was anything special.

Ahh.. from a skyline point of view you are correct. I was thinking more along the lines of the street level effect.

But then again, I do think the DD was something special. Or at least a lot more special than anything that has been built in the past 20-30 years.

Lemme spell it out: So there is a pretty good chance that something ugly is going to be built here, right? Well, given where it is located and how tall the final product will be, it isn't going to stand out enough to do any visual damage. It will just blend into the great skyline.

But I have to confess that I've never thought the DD building was anything special.

sounds like the BRA accomplished their goal of nothing iconic for the area.

When was the last time the BRA built anything "iconic"? 1963?

Does the Zakim bridge count? That's about your only winner after the Hancock tower.

In terms of architecture, I'd be happy with a few decent, well-designed buildings that improve the city fabric and promote real urbanity. Let's wait until the architects of Boston can master that before we start aiming for "iconic".

A building can end up being iconic for all the wrong reasons after all...

Back