Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

Hudson Group amends Greenway tower plan
Tuesday, September 7, 2010, 11:30am EDT | Modified: Tuesday, September 7, 2010, 11:48am

The developer of the proposed 120 Kingston Street condo and retail site along the Rose Kennedy Greenway near Chinatown has asked to expand the project?s number of housing units and introduce a ?rental component? required to ?make the plan feasible.?

Hudson Group North America LLC, headquartered in Swampscott, Mass., said the new blueprint is a response to ?current market conditions? and will provide it the flexibility needed to keep the project afloat. The outline was filed last week with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which must give Hudson Group the go-ahead before the new plan can progress.

Among the proposed changes is an expansion of the project?s gross floor area, to 228,865 square feet from 209,255 square feet. That layout will help accommodate an additional 53 housing units on top of the project?s original tally of 147 condominiums. Hudson Group did not detail how or if the project?s housing units will be divvied, in terms of being rental units or condos. Rather, the filing simply sought permission to incorporate rental units.

The new plan also calls for 25 fewer parking places, a change that will be offset by a new shuttle service available to residents, according to Hudson?s filing with the BRA.

Hudson Group bought the project site, formerly known as the Dainty Dot Hosiery building, in September 2006 for $9 million. In March 2007, the Boston Business Journal reported that Ori Ron, a principal at Hudson Group, was filing a project notification form with the BRA for that site and a nearby parking lot that will be turned into 50 rental units, 27 of them affordable.

The new plan also calls for an expansion of the tower?s ground-floor retail space, to 5,000 square feet from 4,00 square feet. The filing did not detail any changes to the previously planned rental development down the street.

Read more: Hudson Group amends Greenway tower plan - Boston Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2010/09/hudson_group_amends_greenway_tower_plan.html

Pic page 39:
http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/...Projects DRAFT - Work in Progress 4-14-10.pdf

Notice of Project
Change 8/30/2010
http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...ngston Street/NPC/120 Kingston Street_NPC.pdf
slide 12 WTF

Last edited:

Shuttle service? From where? This is a short walk from several T stations.

Does it matter? Without an endowment how many years or month will this last.

I don't understand what you mean -- this is not a college or university.

Unless there is money set aside to fund this shuttle permanently, and there won't be, it will disappear soon enough. See Hancock Observatory, public arcade access to the Aquarium Garage..................

I think Paul means that the shuttle will come out of the buildings operating budget (funded by condo fees). It will not be long before the HOA votes to eliminate the service. So unless the developer endows the service it will be gone in years if not months.

I agree with your sentiment Ron that this is a silly place to include shuttle service. The development is literally less than 1000 feet from both South Station and Chinatown Station. But I'm sure this is an effort to preempt neighborhood complaints about parking.

The shuttle is a good idea.

25 less parking spaces? Good.

NIMBYS will complain, so the shuttle will shut them up.

And then theyc an remove it in 6 months when nobody uses it.

It is indeed good but I'll be REALLY impressed when a developer proposes a large roof-mounted magnifying glass to compensate for new shadows.

^^Um Rifleman, I think that's a different project in Chinatown.

Community Meeting Reminder:

Project Name: 120 Kingston Street Development, Chinatown

Project Proponent: Hudson Group North America LLC

Project Description: The Proponent filed a Notice of Project Change for the construction of an approximately 228,865 square foot, 270 foot tall residential building, which will include approximately 200 residential units, 5,300 square feet of retail and above-grade parking for approximately 70 cars.

Meeting Date/Place: 6:00 PM ? 7:30 PM, Wednesday, September 15, 2010, at the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association, 90 Tyler Street (Conference Room), Chinatown

Close of Comment Period: September 30, 2010

So does this mean no parking at all? I like the idea of this. As for Shirley, sure, $7 million, that's enough to build a bellow grade parking garage. What a dolt.

Wrong.

As for Shirley, sure, $7 million, that's enough to build a bellow grade parking garage. What a dolt.

228,865 square feet of new density equates to a project worth over $200m after construction costs.

Below grade parking seems like a reasonable expectation, at $7m or more. Chinatown properties benefit from $billions in taxpayer-funded public infrastructure and ancillary investment. And I'm guessing the variance from existing zoning placed a lucrative premium in the developer's plus column above what was purchased.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

228,865 square feet of new density equates to a project worth over $200m after construction costs.

Below grade parking seems like a reasonable expectation, at $7m or more. Chinatown properties benefit from $billions in taxpayer-funded public infrastructure and ancillary investment. And I'm guessing the variance from existing zoning placed a lucrative premium in the developer's plus column above what was purchased.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mass88 says I'm wrong. But I thought from the Boston Arch thread that I saw figures like $200,000 per parking spot. It would be a small garage if that's the figure and the only amount spent was $7 million. My point is that an extra $7 million to eliminate community activism might not be enough money that redirected would enable them to build the original project. This is a scaled down version of what was approved, $7 million is the pay off to the community to allow them to build something less substantial. I don't see that meaning they can afford the original.

^HenryAlan
I hear what you're saying, but regardless of community activism IMO it's pathetic that the BRA would consider approving this and other projects with above grade parking, especially considering the location and scale.

Shuttle service? From where? This is a short walk from several T stations.

There is also a sizable parking garage directly across the street...but I'm sure the spaces are likely leased out or something.

But I thought from the Boston Arch thread that I saw figures like $200,000 per parking spot.

Henry Alan you're correct. $200K should be more than enought per spot. A decent rule of thumb is $35-50K per spot above ground, and roughly twice that per spot below ground (obviously depends on soil conditions, groundwater etc.).

Case in point: Suffolk won a $250M contract to build a 4000 space consolidated rental car facility at Logan, which works out to $62,500 per spot. But that included the phased demo of the existing garage, new turnaround space, shuttle bus facilities and a customer service center building. So the true cost of the garage was probably <$50K per spot and would be even less if it didn't require phasing around an active garage.

Does "above ground" mean in the building or on a surface lot?

In a structure. I'm talking construction costs only.

Back