Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

Hudson's new residential plan gets BRA approval

The Hudson Group North America received the green light Tuesday night to proceed with its revised plans to build a 200-unit residential tower along the Rose Kennedy Greenway near Chinatown.

The approval, granted by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, comes roughly a month after the Boston Business Journal first reported that Swampscott-based Hudson formally requested to amend the plan due to ?market conditions.? The original proposal called for 147 condominiums at 120 Kingston St. The amended proposal, filed with the BRA in September, sought approval to increase the number of residential units and introduce a ?rental component? to the project.

The new plan also slightly decreased the site?s parking layout while making accommodations for a bus-shuttle for prospective residents. It also calls for an expansion of the tower?s ground-floor retail space, to 5,000 square feet from 4,00 square feet.

Hudson bought the project site, formerly known as the Dainty Dot Hosiery building, in September 2006 for $9 million

Read more: Hudson's new residential plan gets BRA approval - Boston Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...sons_new_greenway_plan_gets_bra_approval.html

I still don't see what the purpose of the bus shuttle is.

Why is it only the projects I want to die go forward?

I still don't see what the purpose of the bus shuttle is.

Nimby: "It's too tall."
Developer: "Ok, we'll knock a couple stories off."
Nimby: "It will price us out."
Developer: "Ok, we'll have some affordable units."
Nimby: "It will exacerbate an already bad parking situation."
Developer: "Ok, we'll run a shuttle bus."

The only purpose of the shuttle bus is to rebut a predictable complaint about parking. I suspect it will cease to run in a relatively short amount of time.

So the shuttle bus is to a remote parking lot or garage?

More retail space, cool! I wonder if they'll put in a CVS, RiteAid or Wallgreens? Or maybe something exotic like a cell phone store!

Gooseberry haha.

Parking issue, building is fine, but some developers need to build parking garages in the cities!

I like the building, kinda cool looking and I like how they will incorporate the current structure into it. Bad how the parking lot will be gone and I doubt anything will take its place. The city should invest into a large underground parking garage. Or above ground, just something big somewhere in the city.

we should put it in government center. near the greenway highway ramps. maybe we could throw some offices on top. sounds like a great idea.
/ end sarcasm, begin real thoughts

I think instead of parking lot requirements, developers should be given the option of directly funding specific public transit upgrade. It cant be a donation to the MBTA cuz just giving the mbta money wont do good. but it could be things like station upgrades, lighting, digital maps and boards. things that make the experience better. Think how much of this could be done at a fraction of a downtown underground parking structure. If its 100k / underground spot, 100 spots = 10 million in station upgrades, then they get to lower the much more costly parking requirements. this simultaneously would allow the mbta to put more resources into much more pressing issues. sounds like a good public private partnership to me.

I like the building, kinda cool looking and I like how they will incorporate the current structure into it.

Except that it doesn't. The current proposal is a complete demo of the original structure.

Choo I think that is a smart idea. Don't know if the people who make decisions will ever listen or implement it, but maybe you can be heard.

So the shuttle bus is to a remote parking lot or garage?

No clue. I'm just guessing that this was a cynical response to a NIMBY red herring. It would make strategic sense if he thought "I'll run a shuttle bus to South Station and the surface lots in Fort Point. Now the NIMBY's can't complain about parking." Basically an attempt to defuse the issue for $50K a year (or whatever it would cost).

Except that it doesn't. The current proposal is a complete demo of the original structure.

Oh nvm, then I don't like it as much. I guess the picture has an overlay just to show before and after.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the latest info/rendering:
This is the last rendering of the proposed building (that I know of):

exdaintydot.jpg

Adam at Universal Hub attended the Design Commission meeting last September and wrote this:

"Ron and his architect also showed how they had basically made the building more boring to satisfy Boston Redevelopment Authority planners who did not want it becoming an "iconic" structure that would take attention away from the Greenway or other nearby buildings - including museums and similar structures that might one day be built along the Greenway.

Commission member Andrea Leers said the new proposal is a marked improvement but that the building is still probably 100 feet too tall. City zoning for that area calls for buildings no more than 100 feet tall, but the BRA last year granted permission for the much taller building."

I was hoping the economy would stall or put and end to this project

So, Dainty Dot will be 200' instead of 100' due to a BRA zoning decision? Great, then Mr Chiofaro should get 400' where only 200' is approved.

More retail space, cool! I wonder if they'll put in a CVS, RiteAid or Wallgreens? Or maybe something exotic like a cell phone store!

Or maybe a Dunkin Donuts!

Ok so let me just make sure I am up to date with the right project here...

This is the tower that was originally proposed as a sleek glass building, about 300 feet high, that preserved the Dainty Dot building and incorporated it into its base.

The BRA looked at the proposal and said "wow, what a beautiful building, but this is too iconic to overshadow the greenway with its beauty, please dumb it down".

The tower is redesigned into a blander version of itself, and is now slated to demolish the Dainty Dot building rather than preserve it. (or at least the facade, or any of it)

The BRA's reaction: "Yes! Perfect! Shorter, uglier, and destroying a piece of history! APPROVED!"

Is this an accurate depiction of A. What happened, and B. Everything that is wrong with Boston's development process?

Feel free to correct me if my facts are a little jumbled!

C. All of the above.

I would also include D) Everything that is wrong with people who support the BRA like some forum members here *cough cough*

Ok so let me just make sure I am up to date with the right project here...

This is the tower that was originally proposed as a sleek glass building, about 300 feet high, that preserved the Dainty Dot building and incorporated it into its base.

The BRA looked at the proposal and said "wow, what a beautiful building, but this is too iconic to overshadow the greenway with its beauty, please dumb it down".

The tower is redesigned into a blander version of itself, and is now slated to demolish the Dainty Dot building rather than preserve it. (or at least the facade, or any of it)

The BRA's reaction: "Yes! Perfect! Shorter, uglier, and destroying a piece of history! APPROVED!"

Is this an accurate depiction of A. What happened, and B. Everything that is wrong with Boston's development process?

Feel free to correct me if my facts are a little jumbled!

With such a lucid grasp of the facts perhaps you should run for mayor?

Back