Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

I love that garage too-- quirky footprint fills the site, has a huge grocery store, offices, and parking. It's unapologetically commonplace and infrastructural and there is a vigorous spirit behind the mind that would think to keep and renovate this building rather than put in some banal box with the randomized fenestration that will scream "2006" forever. It's like a little piece of Tokyo in Boston. Part Atelier Bow-Wow, Part Richard Rogers.

That garage literally looks like a pile of junk.

Are you kidding? That's one of my favorite buildings in Boston. It is so different from the standard design template, probably drives Keiros Shen crazy. It's the way a garage would look if designed by MC Escher.

It's like a little piece of Tokyo in Boston. Part Atelier Bow-Wow, Part Richard Rogers.

Glad someone else gets it. If it is ever replaced with something tall, I hope the shape of the site informs the tower's articulation.

So is there absolutely no hope for the DaintyDot building? Any chance at a last-minute reprieve? Anyone still fighting it's demolition? Any final reviews or possible change of heart by the Boston Landmarks Commission or whatever it is?

"Bostonians" will not fight against a building that "screams Boston"

Real Estate Development
Soft condo market spurs rental activity
Boston Business Journal - by Mary K. Pratt
Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 6:00am EST .Enlarge Image
. ..The development plans for 120 Kingston St. originally called for condominiums, which is what the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved back in May 2008.

Fast-forward two years. The development team, led by Ori Ron and the Hudson Group North America LLC, now wants rental units in the mix. The BRA in October approved the change, giving the OK to include apartments alongside the condos in the 200-unit mixed-use project.

It?s a sign of the times *? at least as far as new construction goes.

Despite low mortgage rates, condos aren?t moving the way they used to. And developers are responding, adjusting their projects accordingly. In fact, the move to rental has been happening in and around the city quietly since the housing market collapsed a few years ago. The ongoing trend may have taken hundreds of new condos out of the area?s housing mix, but it has also brought new apartments to the market at a time when demand seems to be on the upswing.

?We?ve seen a number of conversions to apartments, and new projects coming in as rental,? said BRA Director John Palmieri. ?I don?t think one is better than another, but I do think rental housing is a component of a healthy housing market.?

Even in this region, which has weathered the recent economic climate better than most other areas, the decision to forgo condos for rentals makes smart business sense. Palmieri and developers alike pointed out that concerns about the economy and job security along with tightening lending standards ...

The development plans for 120 Kingston St. originally called for condominiums, which is what the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved back in May 2008.

Fast-forward two years. The development team, led by Ori Ron and the Hudson Group North America LLC, now wants rental units in the mix. The BRA in October approved the change, giving the OK to include apartments alongside the condos in the 200-unit mixed-use project.

It?s a sign of the times *? at least as far as new construction goes.

Despite low mortgage rates, condos aren?t moving the way they used to. And developers are responding, adjusting their projects accordingly. In fact, the move to rental has been happening in and around the city quietly since the housing market collapsed a few years ago. The ongoing trend may have taken hundreds of new condos out of the area?s housing mix, but it has also brought new apartments to the market at a time when demand seems to be on the upswing.

?We?ve seen a number of conversions to apartments, and new projects coming in as rental,? said BRA Director John Palmieri. ?I don?t think one is better than another, but I do think rental housing is a component of a healthy housing market.?

Even in this region, which has weathered the recent economic climate better than most other areas, the decision to forgo condos for rentals makes smart business sense. Palmieri and developers alike pointed out that concerns about the economy and job security along with tightening lending standards have put home ownership out of the reach of many.

Vince O?Neill, founder and president of VinCo Properties LLC, said he could see a dwindling condo market back in 2006, just as his company was moving ahead with its mixed-use Chestnut Green development in Foxborough. VinCo?s development plans at the time called for 70 condos in addition to single-family homes, office units and retail space.

?We got into late 2006 and we knew the condo market wasn?t doing well. We began to talk to the town about doing rentals because quite frankly at that point, the market on the sales side was evaporating quickly. And the sources of available financing for condos were evaporating more quickly than the market itself,? O?Neill said.

O?Neill said his company decided to switch 55 of the 70 units from condos to apartments to avoid getting caught in a declining market and to capitalize on a rental market that was on the rise.

?The rental market has proved good, really good. A lot of people now can?t buy homes, so that has driven more people into the rental market,? O?Neill said, adding that the units, completed just a year ago, are nearly all rented out.

Other developers voiced similar reasons for their switch.

Gerry-Lynn Darcy, director of marketing and sales for the Northeast division of Miami-based Lennar Corp., said that those reasons prompted the switch from condos to apartments at the company?s Quarrystone at Overlook Ridge property in Melrose. Initially intended as condos, the 250-unit development was switched to apartments before its 2009 opening.

?We knew the time was not right for condominiums there,? Darcy said.

However, that doesn?t mean that the market for condos is nonexistent, Darcy said. The company is planning to build 150 luxury townhouse-style condos as part of the Hingham Shipyard redevelopment. The company sold the 21 units built during its the first phase of construction in less than eight months last year, and it broke ground this fall on the second phase, with all 18 units already sold or under agreement.

Darcy said Lennar didn?t consider converting these Hingham condos to apartments because it felt they were the right product in the right place, despite the timing. She said the robust sales have proven the company correct, despite the overall market trend toward apartments over condos.

?It proves if you have a good product and it satisfies the majority of the demographic of the area, you?ll be successful if you?re priced right,? she said.

Read Full ArticleSee Comments..

Read more: Soft condo market spurs rental activity | Boston Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/p.../soft-condo-market-spurs-rental-activity.html

^^^ Wrong thread, that's about the Kensington not 120 Kingston. As an aside, shouldn't Shirley and the other doctors' wives be down in Boca by now?

This project was also on the 11/17/11 BRA meeting agenda:

request authorization to issue a Determination waiving further
review pursuant to Section 80A-6.2 of the Zoning Code in
connection with the Notice of Project Change for 120 Kingston
Street consisting of 240 residential units and a one floor
decrease; to issue a Certification of Compliance upon successful
completion of Article 80 process, subject to BRA design review;
and, to execute all necessary documents in connection with the
Article 80 approvals.

http://bostonredevelopmentauthority...Board Meeting Agenda for 11-17-11 (draft).pdf

Last edited:

Stop challenging my memory.

This is the Dainty Dot building. The developer had a rendering of the building and I guess changed the make-up of units in the building so that it is one floor shorter but the same number of units? Something that minor, but that might not be what was at issue.

Whatever it was, it was very minor and was passed by the BRA board.

This is one project that I hope does not go forward. It replaces a pleasant historic structure with a gawkish tower that would look ugly if built in Phoenix, or Syria. No thanks.

This is one project that I hope does not go forward. It replaces a pleasant historic structure with a gawkish tower that would look ugly if built in Phoenix, or Syria. No thanks.

Itch -- the pleasant structure is empty of its former use and as a "sweat shop" for making garments, and the building is non-functional

The neighborhood needs more housing and there is no viable way to rehab the existing building and produce an economic project

It's time for the Dainty Dot to become the site of a relatively anonymous residential tower right next to an ugly vent structure

The original plan was much better. I hope this piece of menino crap doesn't get built either. Time for a new mayor and a better building.

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on which side you are on), this building is going forward, and the redesign will be moving through CD's for the end of the year I believe.

I also, liked the original proposed building far better, but this one has suffered so many setbacks from all sides that it is a shell of the original proposal.

This was the famous 'We don't want it to be too iconic and detract from the Greenway' building that the BRA dumbed down if we can all remember.

Itch -- the pleasant structure is empty of its former use and as a "sweat shop" for making garments, and the building is non-functional

The neighborhood needs more housing and there is no viable way to rehab the existing building and produce an economic project

It's time for the Dainty Dot to become the site of a relatively anonymous residential tower right next to an ugly vent structure

I believe the developer would disagree with you on this. Remember, the plan wasn't changed because the DD couldn't be feasibly rehabbed. It was changed because some neighbours didn't want shadows and Hizonnah didn't wan't anything "iconic" to take away from the majestic Greenway. Rather than have a 300-foot tower that works with the existing fabric of the neighbourhood, they'd prefer a 200-foot tower that removes a part of the history of the area.

While I agree with you that the area will benefit from housing, the Dainty Dot does have some interesting characteristics and, on the street level, is very fitting for the area. I can guarantee you that whatever generic, value-engineered stump gets put there in its place will not have a thousandth the character as the Dainty Dot. I for one wish this proposal a quick, merciless death.

^^Right you are. I'd give anything to go back to the original proposal.

Here, here. This is one project I hope does not see the light of day. Bring back the original design or something much better than the current and we'll see.

Wasn't the Textile District designated an historic neighborhood and put on the National Register of Historic Places? I don't know how it works, but shouldn't that protect Dainty Dot from demolition, because if not, what's the point?

8ZYiY.jpg

8AANx.jpg

GoYXj.jpg

k94wY.jpg

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...ngston Street/NPC/120 Kingston Street_NPC.pdf

Back