Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

It looks like it gives the Chinatown part of the Greenway the cold shoulder here... It's just a dead wall. Thumbs down.

Nice 30' blank wall facing the Chinatown park. The BRA is asleep at the wheel.

When a park like this comes right up to a building, what amenities would you want that building to provide on the park side? I'm trying to think of a similar arrangement - where, if there's a door for example, the park is more than just the front door landscaping.

To play a small bit of devil's advocate, some of the park features including a water feature look to be built directly into this wall - so it's not exactly "dead" like the Seaport cross streets are...

Could be an awesome spot for a cafe or restaurant where the wall/windows can be pulled away.

I think the obvious solution would be to orient the building in such a way that better incorporates the park. A quasi-public space like a restaurant could serve such a purpose while still acting as a buffer between public and private.

But pretty much anything is better than a big blank wall, especially in such a prominent location. Anything else is impossible though, because the big blank wall encloses...a garage.

This is just more of the typical careless crap that continues to inundate the city. What makes this particularly hard to take is the fact that the much better original design was deliberately butchered by the BRA because it deemed too "iconic". With the demolition of the Dainty Dot, we're also losing a far superior building for this.

They changed the design because the BRA deemed it was "too iconic"? Wait- wut? God forbid anything be above average?

Is there something below the building preventing a below-grade garage? Does the tunnel swing out under this?

They changed the design because the BRA deemed it was "too iconic"? Wait- wut? God forbid anything be above average?

Is there something below the building preventing a below-grade garage? Does the tunnel swing out under this?

Urb -- there are lots of Tunnel related stuff in that area
vent ducts
SB I-93 main barrel
ramp to I-90 W
ramp to surface

The original design included below-ground parking, so there goes that bullshit excuse. We all know why the garage is above-ground--the same reason we see these popping up as part of nearly every new project lately--because it's cheaper for the developer. And the BRA is apparently so desperate to get some big projects rolling that they're willing to let these developers cut every corner possible in the name of making a more "feasible" project, even if that means permanently mutilating the cityscape to do so.

The original design included below-ground parking, so there goes that bullshit excuse. We all know why the garage is above-ground--the same reason we see these popping up as part of nearly every new project lately--because it's cheaper for the developer. And the BRA is apparently so desperate to get big project rolling that their willing to let these developers cut every corner possible in the name of making a more "feasible" project, even if that means permanently mutilating the cityscape to do so.

Briv -- you are grinding an axe -- above ground garages integrated into the structure -- when they don't look like a big ugly -- don't have to effect the quality of life in the city -- this is particularly true about the German "pez Dispenser" type of garage which is in fact a robotic warehouse for cars -- no dirivers, no ramps, much more effecient parking

I agree with Briv. Above ground garages should be banned in the center city. I won't even try to make a point because I can't believe anyone would think otherwise.

What's there now? If I'm not mistaken, a big, blank, brick wall borders the Chinatown Park. If Shephard is correct and a water feature is built directly into this wall...well now, that might not be so bad!

I think the obvious solution would be to orient the building in such a way that better incorporates the park. A quasi-public space like a restaurant could serve such a purpose while still acting as a buffer between public and private.

But pretty much anything is better than a big blank wall, especially in such a prominent location. Anything else is impossible though, because the big blank wall encloses...a garage.

This is just more of the typical careless crap that continues to inundate the city. What makes this particularly hard to take is the fact that the much better original design was deliberately butchered by the BRA because it deemed too "iconic". With the demolition of the Dainty Dot, we're also losing a far superior building for this.

+1, Briv. That captures the sad chain of events that is this project in a nutshell.

Meh, as a local resident, I don't see what a faux natural storefront adds to the park. The park is a huge success because of its surroundings and density. Stop by between 8am and 9pm and you'll see this. This is one case where commerce has nothing to do with the vibrancy of the use.

I would have liked to see the "iconic" building in its original form but I will settle with the alternative. I think the Greenway folks have made am effort at incorporating the park into the general greenway stretch. The city core is in desperate need of discretionary spending young adults. For every 60-story office-focused skyscraper that you'd like to see, there is a large group of generation-"I hate commuting more than words can express" looking for a home. Build it and they will come. See Atlantic avenue, the leather district, fort point, etc. Walk to work..what a concept!

Now if we can get Chiafaro approved on the other end...

+1 Briv re. wall and above ground parking. Thank you.

The original design included below-ground parking, so there goes that bullshit excuse. We all know why the garage is above-ground--the same reason we see these popping up as part of nearly every new project lately--because it's cheaper for the developer. And the BRA is apparently so desperate to get some big projects rolling that they're willing to let these developers cut every corner possible in the name of making a more "feasible" project, even if that means permanently mutilating the cityscape to do so.

This project has always had above ground parking ... though the first design had parking both above and below. The biggest change with parking is that the number of spaces has declined from 160 to 95 to 70.

Above ground parking is an abomination, particularly at this location. I just revisited the map and noticed how close the Chinatown MBTA station is (~1000 feet), with all of the following MBTA stations in near proximity surrounding this property:

Boylston
Downtown Crossing
Park Street
South Station
Tufts Medical Center

Again folks, look at the density approved by the BRA and provide all the bogus excuses you want about how below-grade parking was simply not affordable. I'm hearing the same excuses at 319 A Street Rear in my neighborhood.

This project has always had above ground parking ... though the first design had parking both above and below. The biggest change with parking is that the number of spaces has declined from 160 to 95 to 70.

Here is the focus regarding parking. The new design is demonstrably better.

>Insert argument similar to Hayward Place about how this building was okay, now it is good, but could still be improved to be great. Limited opportunities, etc. etc. etc.<

Back