Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

obviously fuck that building there now... but im a little torn on this one...usually im all about progress and building new shiny buildings but i dont want to lose chinatown as it stands today, i think its an important part of the city. This proposal would be a leap forward for boston though.

Ron Newman said:
Columbus Center was approved! Stop blaming the democratic process for the developer's failings.

With apologies to (I believe) Gen. William Westmoreland: "We had to destroy the project to approve it."

jesus christ ron... the developer was forced to make his project unprofitable before it was approved.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
jesus christ ron... the developer was forced to make his project unprofitable before it was approved.

Exactly. You can't blame the developer for the Columbus Center fiasco.

:x

The Globe said:
Question of scale: Is tower too tall for Chinatown?
'The city needs to decide how important it is to . . . preserve cultural neighborhoods.'

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | May 6, 2007

A 29-story residential tower proposed for the edge of Chinatown is raising a divisive question in the community: Where does the busy Financial District end, yielding to the more livable scale of one of the city's oldest neighborhoods?

Developer Ori Ron, a Swampscott resident who previously lived in the nearby Leather District, wants to tear down most of the historic Dainty Dot building on Essex Street. He would keep a portion of its brick fa?ade and erect a shaped glass tower, next to a new neighborhood park.

As is often the case in Boston, there is opposition to a new tall building. "There's good height, and there's bad height," Ron said in a recent interview. "This is good height."

But critics at recent public meetings suggest this project may be too big for the location -- a significant encroachment by an imposing, tall structure on an ethnic community already squeezed by upscale residential developments.

"With the tall towers, it's going to seem more corporate and upscale," said Stephanie Fan, a Chinatown resident and cochairwoman of the Chinatown/Leather District park community task force. "The city needs to decide how important it is to really preserve cultural neighborhoods."

Another critic of the building's proposed height is Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who said in a recent interview that 18 to 20 stories is more appropriate for the Dainty Dot site. "The design is not in keeping with the neighborhood," said Menino. "I told them it was way too high."

He would also like to see more of the six-story brick building -- part of which was amputated in the 1950s to make way for the Central Artery -- remain in place. The Boston Landmarks Commission is considering the building for landmark status, which, if granted, would prohibit the owner from making substantial changes to the exterior without the commission's permission.

The project, with 180 condominium units and 160 underground parking spaces, does have support within Chinatown: The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association, Chinatown Neighborhood Council, and Chinatown Main Street, a business group, have endorsed it.

"I don't agree with height restrictions," Tony Yee, president of Chinatown Main Street and an advocate of urban scale, said at a recent community meeting. "Boston is like a cornfield."

Ron is showing his proposed design to residents and at community meetings, and he is in the early stages of review by City Hall agencies. He argued that his building is appropriately sized because it would be across the street from an even taller building, the 37-floor State Street Financial Center .

And the 28-story tower on Washington Street, Archstone Boston Common, is about 300 feet high.

Ron's building would be about 340 feet high, three times the allowable height for the parcel, requiring him to get a major zoning variance from the city. He proposes to make major changes to the six-story Dainty Dot building, a former hosiery factory, retaining only a fraction of what some regard as one of the handsomest examples of the area's former warehouse structures. The building, in Romanesque revival style, was built in 1889.

In addition to its size, some nearby residents said, the new building would also intrude on the peace and privacy of the adjacent park at the southern end of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

The Chinatown/Leather District park, which is a few months from completion after 16 years of Big Dig construction, is a one-acre space extending from a broad plaza near the Chinatown Gate up a winding path through bamboo and flower beds along a stream of water to a paved area at Essex Street.

David R. Seeley, a Leather District resident and a member of the Mayor's Central Artery Completion Task Force, said the tower would be "a tragedy for the Chinatown park." Seeley added that it would also "effectively destroy the Dainty Dot building, a valuable historic resource."

The Seaport Alliance for a Neighborhood Design, a South Boston neighborhood group, told the Boston Redevelopment Authority in a letter that the proposed design, by Elkus /Manfredi Architects "had great merit, but at 340 feet the negative impacts of this project are great." It would "set a dangerous precedent" and "offer a cold, uncomfortable, and windswept environment," the group said.

To compensate for being allowed to exceed zoning limits , Ron has proposed building 48 units of low-income housing elsewhere in Chinatown, in partnership with the Chinese Economic Development Council. He is required under city ordinance to build 27 units.

Ron said he and his architect, Howard Elkus , worked for six months to develop a project that fit in at the edge of Chinatown and at its particular location at the southern end of the new Greenway.

As designed, the building is reduced in width at the ground and on its higher floors, and about 60 percent of the existing fa?ade of the Dainty Dot building would be preserved. Ron said it would cost at least 20 percent more to construct a building this way, minimizing its impact on the surface around it.

"I see height anchored to a small footprint as friendly to the environment," he said.

Ron's company, Hudson Group, works around the world and purchased the quaint but dilapidated building for $9 million late last year. He has said repeatedly that the community must be satisfied before he goes forward.

"I will build whatever I can build," he said, but added there are many voices in Chinatown. "I'm hearing, 'Why stop at 29?' "

Thomas C. Palmer Jr. can be reached at tpalmer@globe.com.
Link
1178447937_1843.jpg

A developer plans to tear down most of Chinatown?s Dainty Dot building (right) on Essex Street and erect a 29-story tower. (Dominic Chavez/ Globe Staff)

The post office sq park sits beside several 30 - 40 fl. towers, as well as the monolithic and imposing post office itself. i've spent a fair amount of time in that park -- it is well done. the fact of that nearby success puts the lie to the argument that a tower like the one proposed would necessarily ruin the park.

you could argue that more people in that park, due to the residents of the tower, along with their visitors and attendant services employees, would up the park's odds of success considerably.

long story short --
a. neither the park nor the building exist yet, and both have lots of variables in play, so does anyone really know what would happen here given even a linear progression to the existing plans? and
b. this is no way to make a decision (about a building), and
c. what is the larger picture here and who is looking after it, based on what goals?

not rhetorical questions...

Can a 29-story building be erected while keeping the entire current fa?ade? Perhaps that would satisfy all parties.

Well if Menino is against it doesn't that mean we can pretty much forget about it?

the design is goin to get killed if its only 18-20 stories like menino wants. Whats another 10 stories? Wouldn't a 20 story building already 'destroy the cultural community' of chinatown? Why go halfway?

Ron Newman said:
Can a 29-story building be erected while keeping the entire current fa?ade? Perhaps that would satisfy all parties.
If you look at the facade sketch on page 1 of the thread, it appears that most of the facade spanned by the Dainty Dot Hosiery sign in the Globe photo is preserved.

Interesting that the Globe chose not to feature a picture of the side and back walls of Dainty Dot, which are currently visible to far more people than the front facade.

The front fa?ade shown in the photo has a sign saying DAINTY DOT. Do the other walls?

Ron Newman said:
The front fa?ade shown in the photo has a sign saying DAINTY DOT. Do the other walls?

Nope...The Greenway side of the building is two billboard-clad blank walls -- these will be removed to construct the tower. The street-side of the Dainty Dot Building will remain.

Check out kz1000ps's photo:

img6586bg0.jpg

PaulC posted this rendering and model:

120k1rk0.jpg

daintydot.jpg

The sign in the Globe photo is Dainty Dot Hosier -- almost the whole sign before being cropped off. So it would seem the entire facade shown in the Globe photo gets preserved, based on the sketch.

Having previously lived at Lincoln Plaza, directly across Surface Rd from the Dainty Dot, and walking by it almost daily, this proposal is exactly the best possible outcome for this building.

As you can see from the photos of the backside, it is ugly, and towers over the new park. While the proposed tower would certainly be much higher, it would be must more aesthetically pleasing, translucent, and devoid of billboards, which half-time time are hocking liqur.

The corner of Essex and Kingston is a real gem, and should be perserved, and if this tower is the economically reasonable way to preserve it, as well as addressing the blighted back side, then I am all for it.

Also, based upon solar movement, I believe the shadow impact will be minimal to all but the people who live in the Lafayette Lofts.

Now if someone will please propose levelling the Lincoln St. Parking Garage (with the Asian C Mart on the ground floor) and adding a mid-rise residential building there, then all will be right in that part of town.

Thanks. When I say the facade should be preserved, obviously I meant only the front. The other walls aren't really "facades" at all since they were not intended to be exposed.

I really like this building and I definitely want it to be built...I understand the people of Chinatown want to preserve all that stuff, but I really don't think this tower is bad for them. 29 stories is not that tall!!!! Honestly we do need to build up for Boston to grow. NIMBY's need to stop ruining all this or else Boston will become some sort of obsolete city lol
And besides I don't see how this changes their culture or the neighborhood. Haven't they noticed that every Chinese city has become huge and is now full of hundreds of slick shiny buildings??? Lol so i think this will bring them closer to how the real China is! Lol
BUILD THIS!
NIMBYS MUST BE STOPPED!
Everyone go to these meetings! lol I am 16 years old and live in NH so that's kind of a problem for me. Well I am from Boston area originally, so i visit a lot, but not enough to go to these meetings lol

Ron,
Can I ask why you think that the facade should be preserved? I'm undecided on my opinion, and would like to know what purpose/good that would serve?

It's a National Register property and a reminder of an industry that used to be important in this neighborhood. It's almost 120 years old.

I'm not against the tower, but let's try to keep this part of the street level intact.

i think they should keep some of the front facade but definetely build into the rest....i think with Old Dainty Dot and this tower coming together will look great

Back