Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Bobby Digital said:
question, if ny is so vast (obviously) why is it so built up yet boston isn't?

You really have to ask? It's the economy stupid! When they built the Erie Canal that opened up the Midwest and sent it all through New York. Since then it has been the place to be. Also NY was founded on fur trading, money. Boston was founded by people who wanted a better life, religion.
NY encourages economic growth and doesn't care what gets in its way.

Ya sorry, i got too caught up with what i said before.
But ya Merper what you said made perfect sense, and i agree with that.

And Boston will never be like New York in that sense, but we can improve and with the open space that we do have, build and encourage our economy.

Re: ....

singbat said:
and a comparison with Houston or Atlanta? Really? Not sure i get that... but maybe we could start by experimenting on San Francisco, Washington, or Seattle and see how it goes...

I don't think you understood my post. I was saying that we don't _NEED_ to tear down older buildings to build new ones. I was agreeing that we need to keep our old buildings and build on other sites (such as lots, parking garages, run down buildings, etc.) instead of tearing down buildings simply because they are old.

The comparison with those cities was that they can just throw anything up because they have little buildings with historic value. Plus it's a lot easier to build there due to building regulations and real estate prices compared to Boston. That was my point, not that Boston should become more like those two cities. I will never argue for that.

Bobby Digital said:
and the sprawl havens are Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville more so today IMO. Houston and Atlanta seemed to be more in the 80-90's.

Miami seems to be much more of a "city" to me than Atlanta does. Have you been to Atlanta lately? I couldn't walk anywhere in that city and the public transportation (MARTA) was horrible.

NYC is similar to Boston in that there is NIMBY opposition everywhere you turn especially in Manhattan. High-Rise views are more coveted there than any place in Boston.

1183663225_2505.jpg

Is that the newest rendering?? And this is currently under review right?? Any one got any new news about this?

The only description that came with it was

Swampscott businessman Ori Ron purchased this Kingston Street building, the former home of Dainty Dot Hosiery, for $9 million in 2006. Ron has tentative plans for residential housing, but the design and construction is still underway.

DarkFenX said:

Looks like the rendering that was in the original proposal, just all of it.

But it is slightly different from the original model, though that is shot from the back while this is from the front.

Sleek base. I'm not in love, but it's fairly good.

Needs to be taller, at least until the tower has a portion where it goes up 90 degrees vertically.

from July 24th Globe. Bolding mine.
Landmarks staff opposes protections for Dainty Dot

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | July 24, 2007

The Boston Landmarks Commission staff has recommended against giving the 118-year-old Dainty Dot building on the edge of Chinatown protection with official landmark status.

But, siding with other preservation groups and fans of the Romanesque Revival and Classical-style building in the city's former textile district, the staff urged the current developer to try to save the six-story structure.

Developer Ori Ron has proposed building a 29-story residential tower on the site, but intends to preserve about half of the building's exterior bays, which will remain along Essex and Kingston streets under a modern glass structure.

However, in recent weeks Ron has indicated to city officials and community members he is willing to shorten the building to a height more acceptable than the 350-foot tower he proposed earlier.

The Landmarks Commission will meet tonight to hear comments on the staff's 35-page report, which concludes the former hosiery manufacturing building "does not appear to meet the criteria for Landmark designation."

The staff noted that more than half of the original structure was demolished during the 1950s, when the Central Artery was constructed, reducing the building's physical integrity and architectural significance.

Without a landmark designation for the building, the commission would have no leverage to influence what Ron does with the building.

The Massachusetts Historical Commission, after an emergency meeting July 11, disagreed with the conclusion of the Landmarks commission staff, arguing that the Dainty Dot building is significant precisely because of the damage that was done to it during construction of the Central Artery.

The Boston Preservation Alliance also takes that view, having written last spring to the Boston Redevelopment Authority that the building remains "an important contributor to the rich heritage of the 19th century industrial loft buildings in the Leather and Textile Districts of Boston."

Both groups' opinions are only advisory.

David Seeley, a Leather District resident and member of the Mayor's Central Artery Completion Task Force, opposes Ron's tower and wants to see the existing building designated as a landmark.

"One reason it was not recommended was that so much of it was demolished," Seeley said yesterday. "It's very sad that because we screwed up before it now leaves this building even more vulnerable."

"If they demolish the portions they're currently slated to demolish, it would be tragic," he said. "I don't think there's anyone in the Leather District who wants to see any harm come to this building."

A spokesman for the developer, Michael K. Vaughan, reiterated Ron's pledge to save what he could, recognizing "the history and character of the building. Our expectation is the whole building will not be retained."

On the new building's height Vaughan said, "There will be an adjustment in height and materials to reflect the comments that we've heard."

Several weeks ago Mayor Thomas M. Menino said 29 floors is too tall for the area, which is immediately adjacent to the new Chinatown Park on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

The Landmarks commission will take comments from the public for three days after its meeting. It is expected to vote on the Dainty Dot status in about two weeks.

410w.jpg

Jesus Christ, these people will argue against everything! The Landmarks Commission is right.

The old building is a better instance of its style than the new graft is of its.

justin said:
The old building is a better instance of its style than the new graft is of its.

I won't disagree with that, but I dig the tower. It's a watered down take on a Ken Yeang building (the style, not the substance) and the articulation of the vertical portion reminds me of late-Rudolph (the Bond Center). In fact, triple the height and graft it onto Rudolph's Blue Cross building -- it's certainly more interesting than Piano's proposal for Winthrop Sq.

the developer's PR guy said:
"There will be an adjustment in height and materials to reflect the comments that we've heard."

A shame we'll likely get an insipid, contextual stump.

Fate Of Dainty Dot in Landmark's Hands
Aug 3, 2007
by Adam Smith

Another historic building in Chinatown is likely to face the wrecking ball to make way for high-rise housing.

The future of the 118-year-old Dainty Dot building at 120 Kingston St. is now in the hands of the Boston Landmarks Commission, which will decide as early as August 14 whether the low-rise brownstone is worthy of landmark protection.

The commission's staff, which does not vote on landmark designations, determined that the Dainty Dot does not meet criteria for landmark status, partly because about half the building was demolished in the 1950s for construction of the Central Artery highway.

Without landmark protections, the building is vulnerable to demolition.

The Massachusetts Historical Commission says it "does not concur" with the Landmarks' position and feels the building is worthy of designation on the National Register of Historic Places. The MHC, however, cannot override the city body.

During a packed Landmarks Commission hearing on July 24, Leather District residents and representatives of Chinatown community groups spoke in favor of and against saving the six-story brownstone that has links to the textile industry and is one of the oldest remaining wholesale buildings in Boston's business district.

A private developer, the Hudson Group, plans to raze much of the Dainty Dot, save for a corner of its facade that will wrap around a small segment of the Hudson Group's planned 29-story tower at 120 Kingston St.

The Hudson Group, which said it agrees with the Landmark Commission's assessment of the Dainty Dot, plans to build 180-units of high-end housing.

The developer also promises to create a separate affordable-housing project nearby in Chinatown that will provide between 27 and 50 units of housing for low- and moderate-income earners. All developers of sizeable housing projects in Boston are required by the city to provide affordable housing or money for such housing that is equal to 15% of the development; 27 units is 15% of the proposed 180 market-rate housing units.

The project and its potential demolition of much of the Dainty Dot is in some ways reminiscent of the planned high-rise Kensington Place project, whose developers completely demolished the 1908 Gaiety Theatre on Washington Street a few years ago. In the case of the Gaiety, which was designed by Wang Theatre architect Clarence Blackall, the Boston Landmarks Commission staff also recommended no protections and stated it did not meet landmark criteria. (The Kensington housing tower has not yet begun construction though it won all necessary approvals and cleared its development site a few years ago.)

While the Landmarks hearing in 2003 for the Gaiety lasted several hours and was full of lively debate, the meeting last week for the Dainty Dot was low-key in comparison.

The most passionate testimony at the hearing came from Bill Moy, who is not a Chinatown resident but has been involved with the community for nearly 30 years. He opposed protecting the Dainty Dot, just as he had the Gaiety four years earlier.

"Historically, it's not worth saving," said Moy of the Dainty Dot. "'d like to go to the future of Chinatown."

He added that the Hudson Group's plan to save the facade is a "compromise."

Chinatown representatives who are involved in developing the affordable housing project by partnering with the Hudson Group also spoke against saving the Dainty Dot.

"I am very sensitive to the losses of Chinatown and the Leather District. My father's house was demolished on Mass Pike for the on ramp," said Allen Chin, vice chairman of the Chinese Economic Development Council, which would build the affordable housing project for the Hudson Group. But, he said, at the Dainty Dot, "there's just not much left to preserve."

The Chinese Progressive Association, however, which opposes the Hudson Group's high-rise, said the Dainty Dot should be saved because it represents an important part of Boston's history.

Stephanie Fan, a former resident of the area and a current member of the Chinese Historical Society, also supports keeping the Dainty Dot. Though she wasn?t present at the meeting, her letter of support was read aloud.

She wrote that buildings like the Dainty Dot provided a ?beautiful? backdrop while growing up in the commercial area of Chinatown.

"Now, with inner cities at the forefront of development driven by the desire of corporate wealth, more of these buildings are in danger of being replaced by sleek modern towers," wrote Fan.

Many Leather District neighbors of 120 Kingston Street said they felt it should be saved, in part because it represents the construction of the Central Artery.

"The Central Artery especially changed the face of the city," said Sarah Kelly of the Boston Preservation Alliance, which supports saving and restoring the Dainty Dot.

"A building that is still nice looking, despite having such a mutilated history, should remain,? testified Eugenie Beal, founder of the Boston Natural Areas Fund, at the hearing.

But Gilbert Ho, treasurer of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association, the group that is selling property to the Hudson Group for the affordable project, disagrees.

"I never see a Duck Tour stop by that building," he said as he left City Hall after the meeting ended.

Link

The Chinese Progressive Association, however, which opposes the Hudson Group's high-rise, said the Dainty Dot should be saved because it represents an important part of Boston's history.
What kind of joke is this? Since when did the CPA care about the fate of an historical building? I swear, all you need is put more affordable housing on the project and the CPA will be like "Dainty Dot what?"

Mike said:
"Now, with inner cities at the forefront of development driven by the desire of corporate wealth, more of these buildings are in danger of being replaced by sleek modern towers," wrote Fan.

Ummm.... news flash. Development has ALWAYS been driven by corporate wealth, or people trying to make wealth. That is how cities grow and stay alive.

Back