Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Life Coach Mike

Reaction score
I'm really going to miss the first few floors, the cornice, and the overall proportions of this building. It's another one of those buildings that add to the fabric of Boston's architectural story. I don't mind the Raffles' design...but it's generic and could be anywhere.

DZH22

Reaction score
This is a loss, but if they ever try to take down the YWCA building next door it would be devastating.

bigpicture7

Reaction score
That doesn't look like a building that's about to be demolished, why put up all that staging?
Possibly removal of materials that have value? Gathering salvage that could be used in other restoration projects? I've noticed different types of demo around here; sometimes it's just total/instant devastation, then haul the pile away...other times it's careful deconstruction at first, followed by demo.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
I'm really going to miss the first few floors, the cornice, and the overall proportions of this building. It's another one of those buildings that add to the fabric of Boston's architectural story. I don't mind the Raffles' design...but it's generic and could be anywhere.
I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but there are some truly wonderful interior spaces, too, that will be a great loss. My favorite part of this building by far is a large solarium/enclosed patio on the second or third floor (can't remember which). If I ever become a wealthy mansion dweller, I'm going to need a room like that.

stick n move

Reaction score
Yup, broke ground thursday. 33 stories, opens early 2022.

“The property will include 147 hotel rooms and suites, 146 residences, six food and beverage venues, a state-of-the-art spa with a fitness club and 20-meter indoor pool, expansive meeting and function spaces, “grand” botanical displays throughout, 16 gathering spaces that range from intimate to more social, a rooftop garden terrace and lounge, and a two-story sky lobby perched high above Copley Square.”
Boston.com

odurandina

Reaction score
Globenimby's said:
Another tax shelter for the 1% in a cookie-cutter, glass tower most of us will never go near.
Because the rich sprawling out, driving people out of their neighborhoods, turning triple decker's into townhomes is so much better.

George_Apley

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been so long that I forget... is this building coming down, or are they preserving parts of the façade?

stick n move

Reaction score
This building is definitely a loss, especially with a garage and pike parcels next door. Just like 315 on A that had acres of empty lots but knocked down a fort point building and built the tower in its place...

whighlander

Reaction score
This building is definitely a loss, especially with a garage and pike parcels next door. Just like 315 on A that had acres of empty lots but knocked down a fort point building and built the tower in its place...
Stick -- money is fungible -- real estate -- not so much -- if you don't control or own those other parcels -- well they could just as easily be on the Moon as next door

and then of course there are all the well known issues associated with building on top of the Pike

Suffolk 83

Reaction score
Wish they didnt have to tear this down but I'm excited to see some new projects underway, I'm bored of the seaport development at this point