Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

jpdivola

Reaction score
I have mixed feeling about losing the prewar structure. In a odd way, I would rather see the city lose A FEW brownstones than a pre-war midrise. Buildings like this are in shorter supply and they help ease the transitions between 3-story 19th century brownstones and 21st century glass and steel high rises.

But, what's done is done. My main hope now is the new building gets out of ground before the next recession hits.

itchy

Reaction score
Agree with those lamenting the loss of another pre-war structure.

It's great (well ... kinda ... I guess?) that Boston will have a new ultra-expensive glassy hotel. It's very unfortunate we have to lose a history-laden masonry mid-rise for it.

I'd be in favor of a blanket protection for pre-war buildings. Continued development and innovation in our build environment is important, but there are enough parking lots, unused air rights and post-war dreck whose replacement can keep the high-end hoteliers' and future pied-a-terre condo owners' demand met for some time.

For this particular one, I just wish the developers had worked with Simon (the mall owners) to build the Raffles over the Copley Mall...

HarvardP

Reaction score
What is Raffles and is it really such a big deal?
Raffles is a high-end hotel chain with a large presence in Asia. It would presumably matter to those who think $400+/night is a reasonable price for temp lodging.

Czervik.Construction

Reaction score
What is Raffles and is it really such a big deal?
Raffles is a Singapore-based luxury hotel brand that is part of the Accor Hotel group. If you look at their locations on their website, they are all over Asia, parts of Europe and exotic places like the Maldives and Seychelles. They have no other locations in North America. By planting their N. America flag in Boston, that says a lot about the vibrancy of the Boston hotel market, especially on the high end and the city in general.

https://www.raffles.com/