Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

A couple different angles from yesterday.
F0AAE954-FC35-4274-BE32-8C591960930F.jpeg

95BA7383-9FFE-4986-B80A-4FB983BACFEC.jpeg

I thought this project was going to take a very long hiatus amidst the corona lock-down and economic fallout. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's in full swing and glad I'm wrong. The new tower, though not all that tall (33-story), will help fill the skyline void between the Pru and the JHT.

This project from Beeline's first picture looks a lot like 1 Congress st. Beeline, the staging under the garage is this the old pike entrance or is that more in the middle of the garage? I can't exactly remember

Beeline, the staging under the garage is this the old pike entrance or is that more in the middle of the garage? I can't exactly remember
I think it's the old pike entrance because it's along the north edge of the garage.

I thought this project was going to take a very long hiatus amidst the corona lock-down and economic fallout. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's in full swing and glad I'm wrong. The new tower, though not all that tall (33-story), will help fill the skyline void between the Pru and the JHT.

This is beginning to be an oft repeated theme (The Pike/Mass Ave parcel in the Back Bay, and many others, etc.). I think the pandemic has resulted in ACCELERATING rather than decelerating development in urban Boston. Color me surprised as well.

Last edited:
This is beginning to be an oft repeated theme (The Pike/Mass Ave parcel in the Back Bay, and many others, etc.). I think the pandemic has really has the outcome of ACCELERATING rather than decelerating development in urban Boston. Color me surprised as well.

Borrowing is incredibly cheap right now and if your timeframe for permitting to doors open is between 3 and 5+ years... yea it makes some sense. There's a good chance nobody remembers Covid by the time 2025 rolls around.

This is beginning to be an oft repeated theme (The Pike/Mass Ave parcel in the Back Bay, and many others, etc.). I think the pandemic has resulted in ACCELERATING rather than decelerating development in urban Boston. Color me surprised as well.

But aren't Winthrop Center and South Station Tower on corona-induced pauses (possible cancellations???)?

But aren't Winthrop Center and South Station Tower on corona-induced pauses (possible cancellations???)?

I'm pretty sure South Station is still progressing - although your convo with HelloBostonHi on August 11th was the last mention here seen.

Since that time, there has been another official update on August 21: (still looks full steam ahead!)

Winthrop ctr is not dead theyre waiting on approval of the reduction to the residential component. Unless you can quote a source that says otherwise, lets refrain from stating things as fact, which are not. A whole host of things COULD happen, but they have not yet. We just have to wait and see.

I'm pretty sure South Station is still progressing - although your convo with HelloBostonHi on August 11th was the last mention here seen.

Since that time, there has been another official update on August 21: (still looks full steam ahead!)

Great news for SST. Just hope Winthrop Centre picks up soon without any reduction in height.

Winthrop ctr is not dead theyre waiting on approval of the reduction to the residential component. Unless you can quote a source that says otherwise, lets refrain from stating things as fact, which are not. A whole host of things COULD happen, but they have not yet. We just have to wait and see.
BPDA already approved the reduction in residential here, Millennium must be trying to line up financing now, hope they get it done!

So thats where it stands, it is not dead.

Winthrop Square definitely won't die, but it might go into a coma for a (long) while if it can't secure funding soon.

Anybody know when we can expect Raffles to get out of the ground? I have walked by the site a couple times but it's tough to tell what's going on.

Back