Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

IMG_20211109_091538056_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211109_091547226_HDR.jpg

I have a feeling this is gonna end up as one of those “wish it were taller” kind of buildings. I really like the shape of this thing and at 600-800ft it would be awesome.

I have a feeling this is gonna end up as one of those “wish it were taller” kind of buildings. I really like the shape of this thing and at 600-800ft it would be awesome.

I disagree completely, mainly because this is blue glass next to the Hancock. The issue is that the Hancock's glass is from the 70's while this is brand new. I don't like the way it basically "one up's" the Hancock in that regard, as I think the Hancock is the perfect building and deserves to be the only blue glass tower in its neighborhood. I don't want the 70's cladding appearing old and stale in comparison. Frankly, maybe this tower looks great in a vacuum, but "wish it were taller" needs the caveat "also wish it was in another location in the city."

Great design, looks to be great execution with high quality glass, and most of all Boston is home the the first Raffles in North America. 300ft, 400ft, 900ft, whatever, IMO. This is fantastic for Boston.

Great design, looks to be great execution with high quality glass, and most of all Boston is home the the first Raffles in North America. 300ft, 400ft, 900ft, whatever, IMO. This is fantastic for Boston.

I read (somewhere in this thread) that it will peak around 415'. I do like the rendering of the tower but given is very close proximity to the JHT, I'm glad it won't be any taller.

I just really don’t like a blue glass building right next to the Hancock.

At least in these photos, the facade treatment looks considerably similar. I fear that from a distance this building is going to appear as an appendage of the Hancock, forever changing its character.

At least in these photos, the facade treatment looks considerably similar. I fear that from a distance this building is going to appear as an appendage of the Hancock, forever changing its character.

I share your opinion. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Hancock glass is much greener, this is a deep blue, it’s looking good.

the Hancock glass is GREENER? I’ve never ever heard or read (or, myself, perceived) JHT’s glass as anything other than blue. Looks way way more blue than Raffles, which is far more neutral and merely reflective.
Green???!

I agree with Stick. I have always perceived a green tint in the blue glass of the Hancock Tower. Raffles looks like a purer blue to me. That contrast should help distinguish the two and hopefully preserve the elegance of the Hancock Tower in the skyline.

the Hancock glass is GREENER? I’ve never ever heard or read (or, myself, perceived) JHT’s glass as anything other than blue. Looks way way more blue than Raffles, which is far more neutral and merely reflective.
Green???!

Lol.

Chris, surely you've noticed at times that the Hancock, when reflecting nearby buildings on its lower levels, can appear quite green? stick n move isn't saying it IS green so much as it's a green-ish blue, whereas Raffles is looking to be a pale purple-ish blue.

51677352545_67cdbf7a61_b.jpg

Or here's a shot of mine from many years back... I'd definitely call that a strong aqua tinge

51676739028_0c0cdd82e8_b.jpg

It's subtle but it's there.

Lol.

Chris, surely you've noticed at times that the Hancock, when reflecting nearby buildings on its lower levels, can appear quite green? stick n move isn't saying it IS green so much as it's a green-ish blue, whereas Raffles is looking to be a pale purple-ish blue.

51677352545_67cdbf7a61_b.jpg

Or here's a shot of mine from many years back... I'd definitely call that a strong aqua tinge

51676739028_0c0cdd82e8_b.jpg

It's subtle but it's there.
The only green i see there is the reflection of 500 boylston’s copper roof. I’ve truly never seen nor heard of anyone seeing JHT as anything but blue reflective glass.

Morever, I've never heard or read anyone (up until today) describe it as anything other than blue tinted:

The NYT obituary for Cobb in 2020: "Henry N. Cobb, who in 70 years as an architect — more than half of them in partnership with I.M. Pei — designed some of the country’s most prominent buildings, including Boston’s blue-glass John Hancock Tower, the tallest building in New England, died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 93."

From the Wiki entry for JHT: The highly-reflective window glass is tinted slightly blue, which results in the tower having only a subtle contrast with the sky on a clear day.

From a WGBH report on that attrocious mural from a few years back that was on the JHT's west-facing side: And in this case, JR saw something that I had never seen," Alonzo said. "He looked at the tower, that signature blue glass and saw a body of water."

The above were amongst many such results of a... 2 minute (maybe?) Google search. Out of curiousity regarding my own potential color-blindness (I had a similar "it's blue!" "no, it's green!" debate about a certain body of water in the Mediterranean years ago), I spent far longer (10 minutes?) trying to find any reference to the reflective glass on the JHT as being "greenish" or "green" or "aqua" and found nothing.

51674951561_a53960f838_k.jpg

51674147297_898e953749_k.jpg

51674147527_bcc9eb0a85_k.jpg

^ All that crap was on the window ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

51675189813_8f41fb7f9f_k.jpg

51675189758_1f99a05fcc_k.jpg

You can see where I was shooting from over here

It appears that what were seeing here is the space for the skylobby/lounge and grand stairway being constructed.

7a203df5-0998-48ed-ab7c-46b34d1e8a60

The 4 story notch faces toward the garage in the render which lines up with the pics
5OukopMi4TxcD3-kxcbYHk2bndbR11eGTCcR-oeW_nzOm1vXaiNQEwrEVKjaerrsRWdrTi_7QJuVfXyqqLPmFBUuqzCDNsciDKsew-ACQ9KTcq25MtvR6pM7IclEbeUAo8GtRhd1uQ

Last edited:

Back