Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

11/14/21
tempImageDrtO1f.png

I have a feeling this is gonna end up as one of those “wish it were taller” kind of buildings. I really like the shape of this thing and at 600-800ft it would be awesome.

I'm not generally a height fetishist, but I agree with you on this. When I look at the design, it just looks like it should rise further skyward. I actually think this building, despite the amazing architecture, is ultimately going to be a background building, due to its location a block away from a more lively street. It will look great on marketing materials, no doubt be an amazing experience inside, and nevertheless contribute almost nothing to the fabric of the surrounding city.

From this angle, it will make the Hancock look better, because it is going to block some of the too fat viewing aspect. I think from most other angles, it will either look like a less prominent nearby tower, or essentially be hidden by the larger building.

One thing that I don't really like about this project, and haven't seen mentioned, is that it kind of wrecks the sight-line in Cambridge as you come down Mass Ave from Harvard, through Central Square, and towards MIT. One of the MIT domes is dead center at the end of the road and now there is a growth coming out of it. Hopefully the blue-glass mitigates the impact on a sunny day.

DSC_0552.JPG

Spoke to one of the glaziers and gleaned a few tidbits. The high quality glass was imported from Cuba. Standard panels weigh about 700lbs. Larger glass panels (for example, those used on the 4th floor where the swimming pool facing Trinity Place will be located) weigh approx. 1800lbs each.
IMG_20211123_132624872_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211123_132629897.jpg
IMG_20211123_132733065_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211123_132750958_HDR.jpg

Spoke to one of the glaziers and gleaned a few tidbits. The high quality glass was imported from Cuba.

Cuba where the cigars used to come from? I thought that was a no-no.

Standard panels weigh about 700lbs. Larger glass panels (for example, those used on the 4th floor where the swimming pool facing Trinity Place will be located) weigh approx. 1800lbs each.

Wow! I had no idea they weighed that much.

I don’t mind glass buildings as a change up, but really dislike glass buildings right next to each other.

Houstonization.

Back