Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Hey, plop 30 stories of a Robert AM Stern lookalike on top... 5 years down the road no one would ever know...

OK this will be an unpopular opinion but the Fairmount Copley needs to be redeveloped into something more appropriate for one of the densest parts of town. 6 stories doesn't cut it. Adaptive reuse of façade or whatever will be palatable, but its a huge site and woefully under utilized.
Not the historic building facing Copley but the building in rear could have a new tower developed above forming a gateway with eventual redevelopment at Back Bay Station and hopefully one day a revived Copley Tower proposal...

Not the historic building facing Copley but the building in rear could have a new tower developed above forming a gateway with eventual redevelopment at Back Bay Station and hopefully one day a revived Copley Tower proposal...
Kind of like the St. Francis in San Francisco.

OK this will be an unpopular opinion but the Fairmount Copley needs to be redeveloped into something more appropriate for one of the densest parts of town. 6 stories doesn't cut it. Adaptive reuse of façade or whatever will be palatable, but its a huge site and woefully under utilized.

Maybe when the city hits 3m and the metro hits ~20m and we have absolutely nothing left to build on but until then it’s just fine. The interior is nearly as worthy of preservation as the exterior, even with the bastardization of the Oak Bar/Room.

Maybe when the city hits 3m and the metro hits ~20m and we have absolutely nothing left to build on but until then it’s just fine. The interior is nearly as worthy of preservation as the exterior, even with the bastardization of the Oak Bar/Room.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I agree with kmp on something, as it's such a rare occurrence that it might just be a unicorn event. When dzh and kmp both align against you, that's how you know you've got a losing hand.

From the OL headed to Tufts Medical from Back Bay.
9EC48185-928B-4CE7-A6D7-9097951B3FD3.jpeg

IMG_7166 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7173 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7174 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7179 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7181 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7184 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7189 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7190 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7193 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7200 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7202 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7204 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7203 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7209 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7212 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7258 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

I don’t hate it but it looks like anything you’d see in Austin, Charlotte, Nashville these days (and leads the mind to thinking about those places, at least for me, over Boston or a city in the NE).

I'm still intensely curious about what's going on with the crown. That they started construction of it, then removed it completely, and since then (a relatively long time by now) have made no moves to resume building it makes me wonder if something fundamentally amiss with the design was discovered -- and, if so, what the amended version will look like.

I don’t hate it but it looks like anything you’d see in Austin, Charlotte, Nashville these days (and leads the mind to thinking about those places, at least for me, over Boston or a city in the NE).

I like the way the horizontal lines of the Hancock reflect off its facade. I think that makes it look unique even in comparison to other contemporary, glass blocks.

Back