Real Estate Deals

How can General Growth sell it when they don't own it? They lease it from the city of Boston.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but I believe GGP owns Faneuil Hall Marketplace, which is essentially Quincy Market and the buildings running parallel to it. Faneuil Hall proper is owned by the City of Boston.

So I think the article is incorrect to say that GGP is selling Faneuil Hall.

The Globe clears things up:

A marketplace in the middle
Operator seeks to sell off lease to avoid bankruptcy

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | December 19, 2008

The cash-strapped operator of Faneuil Hall Marketplace has put its rights to run the popular outdoor mall up for sale as it battles to shore up its finances and avoid declaring bankruptcy.

General Growth Properties Inc., the second-largest US mall operator, is offering to sell the rights to operate Faneuil Hall, as well as two other well-known East Coast tourist destinations, South Street Seaport in Manhattan and Harborplace & the Gallery on Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

General Growth is struggling to refinance $900 million in debt to stave off bankruptcy.

An offering circular for the three properties did not carry a price tag.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace is one of Boston's top tourist attractions, and its sale will be closely watched by city officials, merchants, and rival operators. The marketplace consists of four buildings owned by the City of Boston, including the Quincy, North, and South markets. General Growth operates those three, and is selling its lease-hold interests at the marketplace, which had more than $102 million in sales in the 12 months ended Sept. 30.

The city itself owns and runs the fourth building, Faneuil Hall, a historic venue for some of the country's most prominent orators.

A top official said General Growth did not tell the city of its desire to sell its rights to the signature property. "They didn't call us or talk to anyone in city government, which is unfortunate, because I don't think it reflects well on them," said the Boston Redevelopment Authority's director, John Palmieri.

Palmieri said Boston's lease agreement requires that any sale of General Growth's rights to operate the marketplace be approved by the city. "We intend to interpret that agreement strictly, and we will communicate that to them in writing," he said.

Executives with General Growth and its brokerage firm, DTZ Rockwood of New York City, did not return calls for comment yesterday. Chicago-based General Growth bought out the Boston lease from Faneuil Hall Marketplace's previous manager in 2004.

General Growth on Wednesday said that a group of creditors has agreed to extend a deadline for repayment of $900 million in debt related to real estate acquisitions in recent years. The agreement sets a new due date of Feb. 12.

The mall company, which also operates Natick Collection, has been scrambling to sell assets and restructure its finances after using large amounts of debt to acquire property across the country in recent years. It has warned it may have to seek bankruptcy protection.

General Growth has an ownership interest or management responsibility at 200 regional shopping malls in 44 states.

Potential buyers of the Faneuil Hall Marketplace lease, including rivals Simon Property Group Inc. and WinnCompanies, have already approached General Growth about taking over the lease.

A merchants' representative last night said she and other merchants will fight to protect Faneuil Hall's ambiance as an outdoor market.

"We don't want to be sold off like a herd of cattle to a mall company," said Carol Troxell, treasurer of the Faneuil Hall Merchants Association. "We want local merchants with local products. That's what the market has always intended to be."

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Market girds for sublease spike as finance layoffs loom

Financial service sector occupies nearly half of Boston?s office space
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman
Friday, December 19, 2008

Real estate executives are bracing themselves for a wave of sublease space coming to the market as a result of the thousands of layoffs announced by financial service companies and banks with major corporate offices in Boston.

The hit will come to what has been an otherwise stable commercial real estate market.

Financial service companies occupy almost half of the 59 million square feet of office space in Boston, said David Martel of Cushman & Wakefield of Massachusetts Inc. Many of those companies are now scanning real estate portfolios to identify blocks of space that can be put up for sublease.

?It certainly feels like there?s going to be space that?s going to come on the market, but it?s too early to tell,? Martel said. ?We?ve heard about the job losses but as of right now we?re not seeing it.?

Sublease space coming on the market ? even in small increments ? is the first sign there?s trouble ahead. As sublease space increases, rents soften and the overall market weakens. The sublease space increased to approximately 1 million square feet from 750,000 square feet at the beginning of the year, according to Colliers Meredith & Grew.

?That is the No. 1 indicator of layoffs ? contraction,? said Joseph Sciolla, managing principal of CresaPartners LLC. ?It?s also the No. 1 indicator that we?re going to see rents erode further because landlords are competing with the sublease space.?

By 2012, Colliers Meredith & Grew expects, the vacancy rate will jump to 13.5 percent with a majority of sublease space being put on the market in the next two years. Currently, the vacancy rate for office space in Boston is 10.5 percent, according to Ronald Perry, executive vice president of Meredith & Grew.

Real estate brokers don?t expect a repeat of 2001 when the amount of sublease space went from 100,000 square feet to 2.7 million, and crushed the market for the next three years.

?Nobody knows where the bottom is,? Sciolla said. ?Nobody knows how much sublease space will come to the market.?

However, a number of financial service firms have announced layoffs causing real estate executives to ?fasten their seat belts,? said Perry.

Fidelity Investments announced it would lay off 3,000 people, and State Street Corp. announced it will lay off up to 1,800 people. Boston-based Wellington Management, which signed a lease for 450,000 square feet in April at Russia Wharf, announced it is cutting 10 percent of its staff nationally. Bank of America announced it was laying off 35,000 people.

Wellington Management declined to comment. Calls to Fidelity, State Street and Bank of America were not immediately returned.

While the amount of sublease space documented hasn?t affected the market yet, real estate brokers are getting word that companies are shedding space. Sciolla, whose firm represents tenants only, said in the last 30 to 45 days more sublease space has been advertised for lease.

This month Morgan Stanley Real Estate closed its Boston office at International Place. A Morgan Stanley spokeswoman would not specify how many employees worked out of International Place or the amount space the company leases.

?There?s usually a lag between that kind of announcement and what kind of space comes out,? Perry said. ?I think we?re going to have another lag between some of these job announcements and (when) the space actually comes out.?

Link

Boston Globe - March 10, 2009
Calling condo buyers off the sidelines
Longwood Towers owner will auction 40 luxury units

By Jenifer B. McKim, Globe Staff | March 10, 2009

The stately Longwood Towers was one of the first luxury residences in New England when it opened in the 1920s, and it has been a towering symbol of Old World style ever since. Now, 40 buyers may be able to own a piece of that luxury life at a deep discount.

The owner of the Brookline complex, New-York based iStar Financial, is holding an auction April 4 to sell 40 units in one of Longwood's three towers. The auctioneers said starting bids sought for the units will be as much as 59 percent below the previous asking prices for condos at the Chatham Tower.

Organizers say the two-hour auction is meant to spur sales and reduce inventory. Minimum bids start at $199,000 for studio apartments, $335,000 for two-bedroom units, and $860,000 for three-bedroom units in the Tudor-style building that boasts a concierge, a doorman, and stunning views of downtown Boston.

"We are going to bring in people who put themselves on the sidelines waiting for bottom," said Jon Gollinger, chief executive of the East Coast office of Accelerated Marketing Partners, which is in charge of the auction. "Guess what? We just delivered bottom."

Some local real estate brokers and new homeowners worry the auction will further depress prices at Longwood.

"It's definitely a downer because if someone had to sell, it impacts the appraisal of their place," said Brookline real estate broker Chobee Hoy, who represented some of Longwood's original condo buyers. "It's a wonderful building. It always reminds me of New York City. I knew they were having troubles, but I didn't know to this point."

But Gollinger said an auction - where each unit can sell in as little as two minutes - will show what the market value of the condos are at a time when home prices continue to fall. Condominium sales in Brookline slowed by 16 percent last year, to 645 from 768 in 2007, according to real estate tracker Warren Group. Statewide, condo sales fell by 23 percent in 2008 and the median sales price slipped about 2 percent to $275,000.

"No one is making sales in this market. We are creating a situation where we are going to do 40 sales in a day. How is that bad?" asked Gollinger.

Andrew G. Backman, senior vice president of investor relations and marketing at iStar Financial, said the company hopes the auction proves attractive to prospective buyers.

"Our goal is to create a quality project for current and future owners so that Longwood Towers remains one of Brookline's most coveted addresses," Backman said.

Longwood includes in its history a retinue of celebrities who once called it home, including baseball legend Babe Ruth.

The 4-acre complex was purchased for $105 million in 2005 by the Radco Cos. of Atlanta, with plans for a $30 million renovation. IStar Financial, which held the mortgage to Radco, acquired the property at auction last year through a subsidiary, after Radco and its partner could not afford to complete renovations.

The iStar subsidiary, 20 Chapel Street Lender LLC, has continued to make upgrades. So far, 78 of the complex's 249 units have been sold.

Carolyn Adamson-Mohan and her husband were among the last condo buyers at the complex, purchasing a 1,488-square-foot, two-bedroom unit for $760,000 in January. She she'd prefer the company sell the remaining units than go bankrupt.

"Yes, I didn't get that deal myself, but I feel in five or 10 years I'll be fine as well," said Adamson-Mohan, 55. "It does mean a lot to us that they do survive."

Dexter Russell, 62, said he, too, is worried about the future of the complex. He and his wife purchased a two-bedroom condominium for $1.3 million last summer, one of only two units that are occupied on the Chatham Tower's 10th floor.

"I'm not angry," said Russell, a retired businessman. "I understand the market is bad."

Diane Maloney, who is helping market the towers, expected some residents to complain about the auction, but predicted they'll be happy to have new neighbors. The Chatham Tower has 68 units, of which only nine were sold. There are 14 units for sale at the Belden Tower, and renovations at the final tower, Alden, have not begun.

"We will get some grumbling," said Maloney, president of The Marketing Group of New England Inc., as she walked through the project's main lobby, with its dark wood walls, roaring fireplace, and contemporary furniture. "Probably in the long run it will be the best thing to have a building that is lived in."

Accelerated Marketing Partners' last major auction in Boston was Folio Boston in 2006 - a new condominium development on Broad Street in downtown Boston. Gollinger said 34 condominiums sold for $26 million in one hour and 45 minutes. The company has recently had successful auctions in Atlanta and Chicago.

Debra Taylor Blair, who runs a listing service for condominiums for sale in Boston, cautioned that the word "auction" may give some bargain-hunters the wrong idea.

"Having an auction where there is a floor on the price can be very effective in moving a large number of units all at once," said Taylor Blair, president of Listing Information Network Inc., a company that tracks Boston's real estate market. "The downside, whenever you attach the word auction, is people automatically think fire sale. It is just not the case."

Jenifer McKim can be reached at jmckim@globe.com.

Looking at some of the photos in the sideshow I have to ask: why is crown molding such an unspeakable sin in modern condo interiors? Am I alone in think each of these rooms would be improved with some simple (nothing fancy, just clean lines) crown molding?

kreiter__longwood8_biz__1236637032_9313.jpg

kreiter__longwood10_biz__1236637033_3676.jpg

kreiter__longwood15_biz__1236637034_2935.jpg

They look like hotel rooms without it. :(

The sad thing is every one of those units probably had a meticulously ornate interior prior to modernization.

^^Yup. That kills me to think about. I hope at least that salvaged most of the nice stuff rather than just demoing it.

You know, just yesterday I was standing in the recently-remodeled upstairs living room (replete with brand new drywall) thinking, "damn, I gotta get some paint and make some kind of border trim along the top of the walls." Because as it is the room feels so bare and institutional.

Another note, I love the thin metal window sashes you see on 1920s and '30s era buildings, like what existed here before they put the new windows in. Surely they were energy-inefficient, but the delicacy of those frames is so much more appealing than the big fat newer stuff.

The remodeled interiors of the Longwood Towers are still done very well compared to other contemporary projects, though, and the building itself is stunning, as well as the lobby. If I were going to buy anything right now, I would be headed straight for the auction.

kz1000ps, you might want to look at lincrusta from Outwater Industries if you want some border trim for along the ceiling. It is meant to be painted.

If you feel like something a little more complex, and a bit of a painting project on your part, try using a pattern from:
http://www.modellodesigns.com/Products_ecomm.asp

Statler, I doubt any of the original millwork was salvaged. One coat of white lead paint usually reduces the chances of salvage to ZERO. It isn't worth the liability.

Last edited:
Boston Globe - June 24, 2009
Merchants seek local control of Faneuil Hall
$20m raised so far to buy out lease

By Jenn Abelson, Globe Staff | June 24, 2009

A group of merchants at Faneuil Hall Marketplace has raised more than $20 million as part of an effort to take control of the shopping center and tourist attraction from its bankrupt landlord.

Yesterday, the retailers said they have received pledges from local celebrities, athletes, and other business owners to buy the lease from General Growth Properties Inc. and run the property themselves. They estimate they need to raise at least $50 million to have a chance at winning control of the Marketplace and stabilizing its operations, after years of unsettling changes and an influx of national chains.

?It?s really about having locals gain control of this much loved landmark, which is not an ordinary piece of real estate,?? said Carol Troxell, who runs several food shops there and is a member of the group raising funds, the Friends of Faneuil Hall. ?Its historical significance to Boston makes it deserving of a local group of people who understand the market and are willing to maintain the vision of the property.??

The Friends group, which includes several active and longtime merchants, has declined to identify backers who have pledged money. It is also raising money directly from the public through its website, FriendsofFaneuilHall.org.

Chicago-baseed General Growth declined to comment.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace is owned by the City of Boston, which leases out three of its four buildings - Quincy, North, and South markets - to General Growth, but maintains operation of Faneuil Hall, a historic venue where some of the nation?s most prominent orators have appeared.

In 1975, General Growth?s predecessor signed a 99-year lease, paying the city $10 a year, plus taxes on the property.

But city officials indicated a merchant takeover from General Growth would help ease their fears about the direction the Marketplace has taken in recent years, with its once unique shopping experience giving way to a typical mall atmosphere as national chains replaced local shops that could not afford increasing rents.

?Obviously, there would be an interest in having local ownership,?? said Brenda McKenzie, economic development director for the Boston Redevelopment Authority. ?We would like to see the center in a position where we can actively and collaboratively work with ownership to make sure the center stays as vibrant as it should be.??

General Growth, the country?s second-largest mall operator, filed for bankruptcy protection in New York in April after it was unable to sell some of its property leases, including at Faneuil Hall and South Street Seaport in Manhattan, to raise money to refinance nearly $1 billion in debt.

Meanwhile, years of fighting between Boston and General Growth over the character of Faneuil Hall came to a head in March, when the city said the company had defaulted on several lease provisions to maintain the Marketplace. Among the issues: insufficient lighting, security staffing, and repairs of leaks.

Boston officials have said they would consider taking legal action against General Growth if it did not fix the problems.

When developers redesigned Faneuil Hall Marketplace three decades ago, they hoped that a center with locally owned food stalls, restaurants, and pushcarts would anchor an urban revival on Boston?s waterfront. But that focus has withered recently with the arrival of chains such as Urban Outfitters and Dick?s Last Resort and the departure of locally owned galleries, toy stores, and other shops due to high rents.

?If we can work out a deal and get local people owning the Marketplace, they will care for it with the passion that a large company never could,?? said Linda DeMarco, owner of Boston Pretzel Bakery.

The merchants? hopes for buying the Marketplace largely rest on the actions of a General Growth creditors: Wells Fargo Bank, which lent the property manager $94 million for the Faneuil Hall lease. In court records, Wells Fargo has objected to Faneuil Hall being in the Chapter 11 process because General Growth has not defaulted on its loan for the Marketplace, and the lease was still profitable.

In court papers, Wells Fargo said putting Faneuil Hall into bankruptcy protection was ?solely in an attempt to rewrite loan agreements?? to benefit General Growth. Wells Fargo wants the shopping center removed from the bankruptcy proceeding. Closing arguments on Wells Fargo?s request are scheduled for today. Wells Fargo declined to comment.

If the bank prevails, real estate analysts said, General Growth would likely again try to sell the Faneuil Hall lease, to raise cash. Interested buyers earlier this year included mall operators Westfield Group and Simon Property Group, according to a local official.

?It?s a saleable property. It?s a trophy retail property that has significant value. Clearly they need liquidity,?? said Jordan Sadler, an analyst with KeyBanc Capital Markets who specializes in real estate investment trusts.

Still, since General Growth took over the property about four years ago, vacancy rates have soared, according to local merchants, to as high as 10 percent.

Under local ownership, the merchants believe they could assemble a team that would better manage Faneuil Hall and restore the vision of a unique New England experience, with small businesses selling local products, said Claudio Kraus, owner of the gift shop Geoclassics and a member of Friends of Faneuil Hall.

?This place is being neglected,?? Kraus said. ?We want to do whatever is possible to make this a more vital, vibrant marketplace. There is a solution.??

Jenn Abelson can be reached at abelson@globe.com.

That would be wonderful. But somehow, I think it might lose it's craziness without all of the food places. I mean, the chains do add something that a souvenir shop never can.

I thought the food court places (as opposed to the retail) are already mostly or completely local.

I think you're correct, Ron. The retail component in the North and South Market buildings is the issue here. Do we need a Pier One Imports or Urban Outfitters here?

People can complain about the chains all they want, but North Enders, Beacon Hillers, Chinatowners, etc. need a Gap too. The chains serve a purpose.

People can complain about the chains all they want, but North Enders, Beacon Hillers, Chinatowners, etc. need a Gap too. The chains serve a purpose.

This is a good point. Portland, Maine has a 'ban' on 'chains' (despite all of the dunkin donuts and starbucks) which really appeals more to tourists than to locals. A good example of the issue is clothing stores. Portland has a couple high-end and expensive clothing stores and a few used places (in addition to Goodwills and Salvation Armies) but there is no middle ground. What if I don't want to pay $50 for a dress shirt but I would like to pay more than $3.50?

But do people in those neighborhoods actually use Faneuil Hall as a shopping mall? I don't get that impression when walking through it.

I work downtown and probably a few times a year go to the Gap or grab a quite bite to eat from Quincy Market. A healthy mix of national and local stores is good for everyone. If there are stores for residents AND tourists you can potentially draw them both into the area. It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario.

A healthy mix of national and local stores is good for everyone. [...] It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario.

Exactly.

Right now, I'd say that mix skews a bit too far in favor of chains. I'd like to see it balance off a bit o even lean to local shops

My roommate and I were discussing this and we decided that locals do not spend the same amount time in Quincy Market and that tourists want to go to stores they know and eat at restaurants they have in other parts of the country. It works this way, but empty storefronts are an indication they are overcharging for the space. Perhaps a middle ground leaning towards what they have now is what works best. More local stores would be good, but chains have their place in a mall like this.

tourists want to go to stores they know and eat at restaurants they have in other parts of the country.

I know this is true and it always happens and won't change, but I will never understand it.

Why even bother leaving home?

Back