Reasonable Transit Pitches

Take a stopwatch on your next trip through Malfunction Junction between the portal and the JFK station approach. There have been artificial slow orders in place there for decades because the switches and signals don't fucking work right and treat 24/7 protection of sparse non-revenue moves from Cabot Yard with equal weight to all revenue trains crossing through there every 5 minutes. That minefield is one of the worst schedule drags on the entire Red Line. Supposedly that clusterfuck is partially funded for an infrastructure rehab, but they've been saying that for over a decade so I'll believe it when I see it. Shave half the travel time off the trip through that wasteland of switches and underpasses and you buy half a dwell time for a Braintree infill. Zap some of the equally pointless slow zones around the Neponset River bridge and buy a little more. No CBTC re-signaling required...just make the junction fucking work right for the first time since the late-80's and it's 'found' schedule resiliency that'll support 1 infill on the longest between-station gap of 1 branch.

SE Expressway megaproject/rebuild wouldn't do anything to trip times on either branch. All that is is 'stacking' the infrastructure to free up physical lateral room on the ROW. It's ops-neutral if (fair assumption) only Ashmont's still going to be stopping at Savin Hill station. And no way are they combining the branches into one mainline, third track or whatever, and losing the grade-separated junctions. That's headway-maiming for everything out to Alewife; it won't work.

5597592413_a11dce6246_o.jpg

Boom! Malfunction Junction cured.

Note that Savin Hill would be designed so that 'Track 2' passed underneath an island platform serving tracks 1 and 3. Thus, Track 2 allows for peak "express" Braintree trains to continue to exist, and this plan maximizes space for both commuter rail AND the Southeast Expressway.

One of my favorite ideas from rr.net. Completly eliminates malfunction junction. The only issue is Braintree trains would now stop at savin hill, although I guess they could just blow through the station at speed.

red-lineconnection.jpg

I would suggest reading the whole topic, a few good ideas thrown around.

Right, I get that. But with the Southeast Expressway megaproject floating out there and the penchant for graft and mission creep, do you really, honestly expect that we're going to be able to get-in-get-out on dealing with signal hell and then have lightning strike twice on a Neponset infill without having the entire thing gobbled up into the Southeast project somewhere along the way? Hell, the best reason why signal correction likely hasn't happened yet is so that it can be used as an extra stick to get going on that project, or just to have it all done in one fell swoop because monoliths are "in."

Yes, they will be separate. Columbia Jct. is sandwiched between Von Hillern St. and Msgr. O'Callaghan Way a good 300 ft. from the Expressway. It doesn't go anywhere near the project scope of anything done to the Expressway or Savin Hill until the JFK platform edge at the Columbia Rd. overpass.

Even if there were to be a more radical configuration downwind it's not likely to radically affect the junction itself, even if tracks were to shift sides or something. The junction's problems are (1) state-of-repair...the dreaded "we are experiencing delays due to switching problems" because something old and barely ever repaired is always on-the-fritz. And (2) they badly botched the original 1980's cab signal installation here, much like they did between Kendall and DTX. The system is oversensitive to faults (even phantom ones) and fail-safes into those excruciating speed restrictions by default that did not exist at all on the old wayside system. Such a ridiculously overbuilt flyover junction was supposed to allow trains to blast at max speed in and out of the tunnel and across the switches. It did more or less for a couple decades until they fucked it all up.

They don't need to gut-and-replace. They need to fix what's worn and fix the ops the signal gang broke in 1987. That's all. It's a separate, nearer-term project. And nobody would attach it to a SE Expressway project/Savin Hill design, because it's outside the project area.

The Old Colony, BTW, probably isn't ever going to be double-tracked between Columbia Rd. and Southampton St. without blowing up a few overpasses and retaining walls. So your megaproject double-tracking would end at the JFK platforms. But it doesn't need to be double on that last half-mile of mainline before hitting yard limits if JFK itself got double-platformed (which they could do today if they took a strip of pavement from the bus loop). It simply doesn't take long enough to traverse that small a single segment to hold up any train meets. Much like the single track through Sullivan before the Eastern and Western Routes split doesn't hold up 3 much heavier branch schedules on the northside.

One more bullet in the corpse of a guy who's just been shot a dozen times doesn't do anything for his situation, either. The Circle of Death is an absolutely awful abomination of bad road design masquerading as good road design, and I'd put safe money on it landing on some road improvements hit list some time within the next ten years. Big talk about throwing down a new station there isn't going to make it any less likely that some project won't be devised and implemented - in fact, I'd venture to say it'd make it more likely.

MassHighway's problem. They do indeed have comprehensive study docs online with design alternatives for fixing it, but anyone's guess on when the funding will be available. That's not the T's problem. It's not their infrastructure to touch, and transit vehicles are a very small % of the overall vehicle load through there. There were MORE buses going through Newton Corner in years past before budget cuts snipped back frequencies and slowly eroded the express schedules. Separate project scopes...the buses present and future navigate the road layout as it is, unless MassHighway funds a makeover. But one isn't going to lead the other by the nose because the Circle makeover isn't a transit project, and the transit project isn't an interstate interchange project. Not even tangentially. If it comes to the point where TT wires get strung up and then the DOT decides to mess with the interchange, DOT pays to move the poles just like the Turnpike Authority was forced to with the A line when the Circle was first constructed.

Crown Plaza also stands to benefit immensely from it becoming easier to get there. A mitigation deal to let Crown Plaza guests and staff (as well as whoever occupies the other large building next to Crown) use the garage for "free" isn't entirely out of the question, and you wouldn't need to tear the building down to put a garage in if you have the management working with you to integrate everything. (Hell, you might be able to swing direct connections if you word it right!) A New Brighton deal isn't nearly as impossible here as it appears at first glance.

Yeah. Pike air rights deals outside of the BRA's suffocating clutches don't necessarily have to be in the realm of pure vaporware fantasy. After all, Crowne Plaza and the Shaw's got built without fanfare in the first place. There's easily enough room to stick an 800 ft. island platform straddling the WB onramp and WB offramp with egress to the hotel garage.

I don't think this is going to be a stop in much need of parking, though. The prolific bus transfers are what make it click. Newtonville and West Newton too to lesser degree. The pre-1965 B&A station that used to exist here tapped heavily into the transfer traffic. It was a much higher-ridership stop than the other 3. Unfortunately B&A wanted out of the commuter rail business bad enough that they sandbagged it altogether for that very reason and told the Turnpike Authority to not bother rebuilding it. The other 3 stops got just enough angst from the abutting residents that they grudgingly let the Pike build those awful single-track slaps of asphalt + chicken coop shelters as a take-it-or-leave-it token.

Honestly, if they could make good on a Framingham- or Riverside-turning train stopping there on consistent 25 min. headways they can probably consolidate or eliminate three-quarters of the Pike express buses and save themselves several hundred grand in annual operating expenses for enhanced service that doesn't get stuck in traffic at the tolls.

5597592413_a11dce6246_o.jpg

Boom! Malfunction Junction cured.

Note that Savin Hill would be designed so that 'Track 2' passed underneath an island platform serving tracks 1 and 3. Thus, Track 2 allows for peak "express" Braintree trains to continue to exist, and this plan maximizes space for both commuter rail AND the Southeast Expressway.

3 tracks ain't going to work. A reversible express track and imbalanced headways in the prevailing rush hour direction doesn't help when there's not enough storage at the Alewife end to feed an imbalanced IB/OB schedule. Cabot Yard doesn't point in both directions from the middle like Wellington does. So the original OL plan of a CC-Oak Grove express track feeding a line stretching from Reading to Dedham doesn't work here. Red has to be fully load-balanced in both mainline directions or it runs out of cars at Alewife or has too many cars to store at Alewife.

So you either have a de facto 2-track mainline to Savin Hall that slows everything down and this novelty third track that's sorta usable in a pinch but doesn't do anything all that functional. Or you have to institute a whole lot of JFK short-turns cutting off a lot of IB trips before downtown...which Dorchester and Quincy/Braintree riders will violently revolt against. Neither are tolerable solutions. So you either keep all 4 tracks and the grade separation, or punch a hole to the surface past the Alewife platforms and knock down one of the brand new office buildings on Cambridgepark Dr. to build a large storage yard. The latter is most definitely not a realistic option now that all those parcels are filled in by multi-story complexes. So...find a way to do 4 tracks.

I'm thinking Braintree-under-Ashmont in a shallow Wellington-style box tunnel with the tunnel roof acting as Ashmont's trackbed will do it. Can even be done without needing to alter Savin Hill station if only the trackbed and not the station pilings need underpinning. And there's some economy of scale in having combined electrical and signal conduits shared upstairs/downstairs instead of the current setup of nearly 2 miles of wholly separate and redundant utilities.

Any reason these aren't "reasonable" ...? I certainly think it's warranted.

1(a). C line continues outbound to BC via Chestnut Hill Ave (no new stops in mixed traffic), AND:

1(b). B line terminates either at Washington Street (not sure they can switch back there? Also means eliminating Sutherland and Chiswick) or at Chestnut Hill Ave.

= Shorter trip to the BC area via the C, and less crowding and opportunity for bunching on the B.

--

2. A little less reasonable but still cheap and impactful: B line spur to Brighton Center not via the old A line but via the wide and mostly parking-free Warren Street and along a very short distance in a new median on wide-enough Cambridge Street to terminate at a BC-style switchback loop at Wirt Street (new state police parking to be built over it on a parking deck)

= Great ROI - less than 3000 feet of new track with some street running at minimal impact, to serve a major area hospital and a dense residential/retail neighborhood.

I don't understand why people are so eager to sacrifice the B-Line between Chestnut Hill Ave. and Washington St. (or in some extreme proposals, Harvard Ave.)- BC runs a shuttle bus to Reservoir for its students that usually provides a faster ride than even the C would anyway, whereas when the MBTA proposed eliminating Chiswick they had to back down because of the local outcry (especially from the elderly in the area). Note that I have a personal bias here since I live near Sutherland :p

As for feasibility, trains can indeed turn at Washington St. already and I suppose you could store trains on the hill. However, I think you'd need to reconfigure the tracks at Cleveland Circle to allow for a direct link to continue onto Chestnut Hill Ave. I don't think you could feasibly use Chestnut Hill Ave. station as a permanent terminal for the B-line, but I'm not sure.

I do like the idea of a Brighton Center spur, if the "real" A-line can't be restored. (I still think street-running is a viable option but I realize that does not seem to be the majority opinion anymore)

Any reason these aren't "reasonable" ...? I certainly think it's warranted.

1(a). C line continues outbound to BC via Chestnut Hill Ave (no new stops in mixed traffic), AND:

1(b). B line terminates either at Washington Street (not sure they can switch back there? Also means eliminating Sutherland and Chiswick) or at Chestnut Hill Ave.

= Shorter trip to the BC area via the C, and less crowding and opportunity for bunching on the B.

--

2. A little less reasonable but still cheap and impactful: B line spur to Brighton Center not via the old A line but via the wide and mostly parking-free Warren Street and along a very short distance in a new median on wide-enough Cambridge Street to terminate at a BC-style switchback loop at Wirt Street (new state police parking to be built over it on a parking deck)

= Great ROI - less than 3000 feet of new track with some street running at minimal impact, to serve a major area hospital and a dense residential/retail neighborhood.

Changing the B's route permanently isn't going to fly when it's been going to BC for 110 years. I'm all for improving it, but it starts messin' with neighborhood forces when fixed routes start becoming less-than-fixed. I think that idea would be quashed in a millisecond.

MassHighway's plan to rebuild Comm Ave. between Packards and Warren and zap the godawful local-express-express-trolley-local lane/median setup is still stalled in design from lack of funding. But if they do that the B reservation gets relocated (at MassHighway's expense) to a much more spacious center reservation with Packards, Harvard Ave., Griggs, and Allston stations getting rebuilt.

There'll be more than enough space here to insert a turnback track at Harvard Ave. and initiate regular short-turns there. And then they have some load-balancing options for helping out the B's schedule:

-- Trade increased short-turns on the inner half with decreased service up the hill + increased service Cleveland Circle-BC. That's not going to inconvenience people up the hill very much because they've seen their headways vary over the years with 3-car consists being spaced slightly wider than 2's. As long as the frequency dip isn't any worse than that it'll be fine. The inner B probably can handle a little more density if a third of the runs get shorted before their schedules have gotten too distorted by the length of the full trip. (Note: in this scenario you probably would have to relocate the Chestnut Hill Ave. platforms to the other side of the intersection so it's accessible from the C. Don't think you want to bypass that stop for a full express since the stop spacing would be much too wide. Although South St. probably has no reason to exist at all.)

-- Stage more run-as-directeds inbound from that Harvard Ave. pocket track to balance the schedules when bunching becomes an issue. The subway can adjust if the inbound arrivals into Kenmore are predictable. The problem today is the B arrivals into the subway are a total crapshoot, and that makes mixing C's and D's a crapshoot. Lower the schedule margin of error into Kenmore with finer-tuned B arrivals and the subway can handle more total trains. That's how it used to work when the A and B load-balanced each other.

-- Yank more trains out-of-service at Harvard Ave. when shit is hopelessly fucked. Inconvenienced riders get limited to the hill instead of of paralyzing everything, including the BU platforms that can't handle the crush loads.

-- Keep off-peak service running heavier on the B later in the night out to the Allston nightspots to eliminate the localized sardine effect that plagues only that branch...and only that far out.

That's what's going to give them the max flexibility. And it comes close as possible an approximation to your alt scenario of a Union Sq. turnback on Brighton Ave. (which DID exist on the A...there was a seldom-used loop at Cambridge St.). Unfortunately the way they reconfigured the road with left-turn lanes everywhere means reinstating a median trolley on Brighton has to cannibalize parking spots at every intersection to lane-shift the turn lanes one over. And that will draw VIOLENT opposition from the business owners on Brighton, who were the ones most opposed to restoration the first time around (because they had no upside to losing parking with the B duplication a block away). You'll never see trolley tracks on Brighton again unless there's a sea change about re-laying street-running track all the way to Oak Sq.; Union alone won't float it. So a Harvard Ave. B turnback is the easily-implementable approximation that no one will oppose.

Washington only has hand-throw switches, so it can be and is only used in emergencies. And any 2-track only stop will cause more delays than it prevents with the time chewed up changing directions. Every time they try to introduce Brigham Circle turnbacks on the E they quickly abandon the practice because it's not worth the trouble to hurry hurry hurry up and change ends before the next train gets delayed by the dwell time. You really need that center pocket track to stage those kinds of moves on any sort of regular basis. And unfortunately Blandford is too close to Kenmore to have much practical load-balancing effect outside of Sox pregame/postgame. Needs to be situated at the center of the line at a stop where there's a perceptible boardings drop-off afterwards.

EDIT: I also agree with novitiate that BC might like a D thru-run more than they'd like a C. That becomes a viable option if you do the D-to-E street-running connector track from Huntington to Brookline Village. Bulk up E service by splitting BV runs from Heath runs, then thru-route to Reservoir, then thru-route to BC. You get two "University" branches linking BC-BU and BC-Northeastern, a faster overall BC trip than the C, more service density on the middle-D and inner-E where there's a lot of unused capacity, and free up B + Kenmore capacity to flush more Harvard Ave. short-turns and make the subway schedules more predictable on that end.

Basic load-spreading. It's a good thing. They used to do it regularly, then somewhere along the line forgot how.

Last edited:
Not happening without a similarly difficult overhaul mega-project undertaking, in this case, unfucking the Circle of Death. And given that one of the components of the Circle of Death is Exit 17 on the Mass Pike, I somehow doubt that a new station would simply be a new station as opposed to the finest in T Commuter Rail glass palace park and rides. (Especially since building a Riverside/Turnpike park-and-ride station at the 90/128 junction as a joint venture with Amtrak for future B&A Main Line service to Springfield and Pittsfield/Albany or Hartford/New Haven seems like a difficult to impossible proposition in its own right.)

I don't think that the Circle of Death would suffer too much from increased bus service - The real killer would be replacing rail service there. The other issue is ensuring that the buses run in well-defined lanes across the Center St. bridge so that they have a clear shot to wherever they're stopping in Newton Corner - they shouldn't have to change lanes or go diagonally across them (which may turn into a serious issue on that bridge). Alternately, if they're going to a station at the Crowne Plaza, they could theoretically go back through the neighborhood, down Center St. and cross to a bus terminal on the South side of the interchange, avoiding it altogether (but missing Watertown Square). A station entirely incorporated in the Gateway Center is an excellent idea for providing pedestrian access from both sides of the Turnpike.

A Riverside/128 park-and-ride is only as much of a pipe dream as the intercity service you describe. There's nothing "difficult to impossible" about it from a construction standpoint. By running DMUs to the current Riverside platforms you don't actually have to build much of anything new to get a commuter park-and-ride station there. For inter-city through trains, its a little more difficult to make the intermodal connection since the best place for the stop (along Recreation Road where Google Maps used to have an "station under construction" icon for some reason) doesn't currently have any access to Riverside.

There are many solutions to that - the 2 crazy ones I like best are to either extend Recreation Rd. across the river to Seminary Ave, cutting through Riverside Park (a forgotten, horrible place full of scary deviants that needs to be opened to the light of day at the cost of some land) and the Riverside Center parking lot, or to rebuild the 128/Turnpike interchange to account for open road tolling, freeing up land for a big TOD hub with CR, Green Line, and double-interstate access.

Those things may be pipe dreams, but an Amtrak/CR station on Recreation Road with a parking lot in the adjacent office park? That's freaking easy.

That's what's going to give them the max flexibility. And it comes close as possible an approximation to your alt scenario of a Union Sq. turnback on Brighton Ave. (which DID exist on the A...there was a seldom-used loop at Cambridge St.). Unfortunately the way they reconfigured the road with left-turn lanes everywhere means reinstating a median trolley on Brighton has to cannibalize parking spots at every intersection to lane-shift the turn lanes one over. And that will draw VIOLENT opposition from the business owners on Brighton, who were the ones most opposed to restoration the first time around (because they had no upside to losing parking with the B duplication a block away). You'll never see trolley tracks on Brighton again unless there's a sea change about re-laying street-running track all the way to Oak Sq.; Union alone won't float it. So a Harvard Ave. B turnback is the easily-implementable approximation that no one will oppose.

Thanks for the answer. Actually I wasn't proposing a Union Square via Briighton Ave spur but a Brighton Center spur via Warren Street and a very short jog on Cambridge Street - I think that would accomplish something similar to the Harvard Ave turnback with a great deal more upside in terms of new ridership.

I don't think that the Circle of Death would suffer too much from increased bus service - The real killer would be replacing rail service there. The other issue is ensuring that the buses run in well-defined lanes across the Center St. bridge so that they have a clear shot to wherever they're stopping in Newton Corner - they shouldn't have to change lanes or go diagonally across them (which may turn into a serious issue on that bridge). Alternately, if they're going to a station at the Crowne Plaza, they could theoretically go back through the neighborhood, down Center St. and cross to a bus terminal on the South side of the interchange, avoiding it altogether (but missing Watertown Square). A station entirely incorporated in the Gateway Center is an excellent idea for providing pedestrian access from both sides of the Turnpike.

A Riverside/128 park-and-ride is only as much of a pipe dream as the intercity service you describe. There's nothing "difficult to impossible" about it from a construction standpoint. By running DMUs to the current Riverside platforms you don't actually have to build much of anything new to get a commuter park-and-ride station there. For inter-city through trains, its a little more difficult to make the intermodal connection since the best place for the stop (along Recreation Road where Google Maps used to have an "station under construction" icon for some reason) doesn't currently have any access to Riverside.

There are many solutions to that - the 2 crazy ones I like best are to either extend Recreation Rd. across the river to Seminary Ave, cutting through Riverside Park (a forgotten, horrible place full of scary deviants that needs to be opened to the light of day at the cost of some land) and the Riverside Center parking lot, or to rebuild the 128/Turnpike interchange to account for open road tolling, freeing up land for a big TOD hub with CR, Green Line, and double-interstate access.

Those things may be pipe dreams, but an Amtrak/CR station on Recreation Road with a parking lot in the adjacent office park? That's freaking easy.

The problem is the mainline is in the middle of nowhere. The T had a Riverside CR stop that it closed in 1977 because the ridership was so low. People ended up using Auburndale instead because the street and ped access to anywhere useful was so godawful.

Granted, that was a different location hugging the Charles bridge but even if you plunked a platform next to Liberty Mutual the usage is going to be anemic. The exit off 128 SB that actually gets you there is Grove St. NB it's the Pike/Recreation frontage road that peels off all of 300 ft. past Grove St. No park-and-riders are going to loop the extra half-mile distance around Recreation to get to this far more limited mainline station when Riverside GL is right there immediately off the first ramp siphoning the traffic away. And doing so with more TOD and parking than would be available at a mainline stop abutting the golf course.

It's not a Westwood/128 or Anderson/Woburn in the making. It would be a failed stop like Mishawum. Offering nothing convenient from the highway that the adjacent location doesn't do vastly better, and only serving a narrow niche as a reverse-commute stop for Liberty Mutual employees and whatever office-parky stuff you could fill on the couple of parcels of freed up tollbooth land between the tracks and Route 30. Nothing Amtrak would be remotely interested in, nothing the park-and-riders wouldn't seek other nearby alternatives to, and nothing that's going to serve much in the way of mixed-use TOD because the asphalt wasteland + private golf course surroundings on all sides inhibit much use beyond a few more Liberty Mutual-esque offices.

DMU's on the turnout to a Riverside superstation...yes, absolutely that'll kick ass. But the mainline location really is a Mishawum analogue in how little outbound reverse-commuting it'll draw to Worcester (despite how Worcester looks on-paper as a reverse commute destination) and how little interest it'll draw for intercity trips. Merely abutting the highway in eyesight doesn't mean the location has all the upside in the world going for it. That's the lesson the T learned the hard way with Mishawum.

The problem is the mainline is in the middle of nowhere. The T had a Riverside CR stop that it closed in 1977 because the ridership was so low. People ended up using Auburndale instead because the street and ped access to anywhere useful was so godawful.

Granted, that was a different location hugging the Charles bridge but even if you plunked a platform next to Liberty Mutual the usage is going to be anemic. The exit off 128 SB that actually gets you there is Grove St. NB it's the Pike/Recreation frontage road that peels off all of 300 ft. past Grove St. No park-and-riders are going to loop the extra half-mile distance around Recreation to get to this far more limited mainline station when Riverside GL is right there immediately off the first ramp siphoning the traffic away. And doing so with more TOD and parking than would be available at a mainline stop abutting the golf course.

It's not a Westwood/128 or Anderson/Woburn in the making. It would be a failed stop like Mishawum. Offering nothing convenient from the highway that the adjacent location doesn't do vastly better, and only serving a narrow niche as a reverse-commute stop for Liberty Mutual employees and whatever office-parky stuff you could fill on the couple of parcels of freed up tollbooth land between the tracks and Route 30. Nothing Amtrak would be remotely interested in, nothing the park-and-riders wouldn't seek other nearby alternatives to, and nothing that's going to serve much in the way of mixed-use TOD because the asphalt wasteland + private golf course surroundings on all sides inhibit much use beyond a few more Liberty Mutual-esque offices.

DMU's on the turnout to a Riverside superstation...yes, absolutely that'll kick ass. But the mainline location really is a Mishawum analogue in how little outbound reverse-commuting it'll draw to Worcester (despite how Worcester looks on-paper as a reverse commute destination) and how little interest it'll draw for intercity trips. Merely abutting the highway in eyesight doesn't mean the location has all the upside in the world going for it. That's the lesson the T learned the hard way with Mishawum.

Absolutely agreed. My point was solely that the construction of such a station is easy, not that it is a good idea. I do think, however, that if serious intercity rail ever comes to the B&A a Riverside Station will have to happen for through traffic, and I think my 2 long-term scenarios are good ways of doing that and improving quality of life in the area in general. If the interchange were reconfigured 25-50 years down the line, it could be done with an eye to giving direct access to the station from 128 and the Pike (current access from the both highways would actually be by the Route 30 exits, IMO).

Also, that golf course is quite public. It's owned by DCR.

Changing the B's route permanently isn't going to fly when it's been going to BC for 110 years. I'm all for improving it, but it starts messin' with neighborhood forces when fixed routes start becoming less-than-fixed. I think that idea would be quashed in a millisecond.

MassHighway's plan to rebuild Comm Ave. between Packards and Warren and zap the godawful local-express-express-trolley-local lane/median setup is still stalled in design from lack of funding. But if they do that the B reservation gets relocated (at MassHighway's expense) to a much more spacious center reservation with Packards, Harvard Ave., Griggs, and Allston stations getting rebuilt.

There'll be more than enough space here to insert a turnback track at Harvard Ave. and initiate regular short-turns there. And then they have some load-balancing options for helping out the B's schedule:

-- Trade increased short-turns on the inner half with decreased service up the hill + increased service Cleveland Circle-BC. That's not going to inconvenience people up the hill very much because they've seen their headways vary over the years with 3-car consists being spaced slightly wider than 2's. As long as the frequency dip isn't any worse than that it'll be fine. The inner B probably can handle a little more density if a third of the runs get shorted before their schedules have gotten too distorted by the length of the full trip. (Note: in this scenario you probably would have to relocate the Chestnut Hill Ave. platforms to the other side of the intersection so it's accessible from the C. Don't think you want to bypass that stop for a full express since the stop spacing would be much too wide. Although South St. probably has no reason to exist at all.)

-- Stage more run-as-directeds inbound from that Harvard Ave. pocket track to balance the schedules when bunching becomes an issue. The subway can adjust if the inbound arrivals into Kenmore are predictable. The problem today is the B arrivals into the subway are a total crapshoot, and that makes mixing C's and D's a crapshoot. Lower the schedule margin of error into Kenmore with finer-tuned B arrivals and the subway can handle more total trains. That's how it used to work when the A and B load-balanced each other.

-- Yank more trains out-of-service at Harvard Ave. when shit is hopelessly fucked. Inconvenienced riders get limited to the hill instead of of paralyzing everything, including the BU platforms that can't handle the crush loads.

-- Keep off-peak service running heavier on the B later in the night out to the Allston nightspots to eliminate the localized sardine effect that plagues only that branch...and only that far out.

Washington only has hand-throw switches, so it can be and is only used in emergencies. And any 2-track only stop will cause more delays than it prevents with the time chewed up changing directions. Every time they try to introduce Brigham Circle turnbacks on the E they quickly abandon the practice because it's not worth the trouble to hurry hurry hurry up and change ends before the next train gets delayed by the dwell time. You really need that center pocket track to stage those kinds of moves on any sort of regular basis. And unfortunately Blandford is too close to Kenmore to have much practical load-balancing effect outside of Sox pregame/postgame. Needs to be situated at the center of the line at a stop where there's a perceptible boardings drop-off afterwards.

EDIT: I also agree with novitiate that BC might like a D thru-run more than they'd like a C. That becomes a viable option if you do the D-to-E street-running connector track from Huntington to Brookline Village. Bulk up E service by splitting BV runs from Heath runs, then thru-route to Reservoir, then thru-route to BC. You get two "University" branches linking BC-BU and BC-Northeastern, a faster overall BC trip than the C, more service density on the middle-D and inner-E where there's a lot of unused capacity, and free up B + Kenmore capacity to flush more Harvard Ave. short-turns and make the subway schedules more predictable on that end.

Basic load-spreading. It's a good thing. They used to do it regularly, then somewhere along the line forgot how.

But short-turning alone isn't going to fix everything. Addressing the old mechanical lights from BU Central to Packards and the ridiculous station spacing from Packards to Kenmore would need to happen in conjunction with the Packards-Warren rebuild for truly meaningful relief on the line.

But short-turning alone isn't going to fix everything. Addressing the old mechanical lights from BU Central to Packards and the ridiculous station spacing from Packards to Kenmore would need to happen in conjunction with the Packards-Warren rebuild for truly meaningful relief on the line.

That's obviously a prerequisite, because MassHighway can't alter the road layout on Phases II or III without redoing the lights in a package. There's nothing to consider here...BU Bridge-Packards has to happen before Packards-Warren, and before the first trolley rolls on the relocated reservation or there's possibility of installing a turnback there will be programmable traffic lights the whole distance. I think it's a safe assumption they're not going to resist installing the trolley sensors on the pre-prepped C and E lights forever, so in the 10 years it'll take to get the Comm Ave. makeover restarted (much less finished) signal priority's probably going to be standard practice.

There already are, BTW, new signals on the first 4 lights from Kenmore installed during the lane-drop project to BU Bridge. But it makes no sense to wire them for trolley signal priority when the old ones resume right away at the Charlton + BU Bridge choke point. There's so little crossing vehicular traffic at Blandford, Granby, Cummington, and St. Mary's because of BU's usurping of those streets as de facto pedestrian malls that the lights are triggered most often by peds crossing to catch a train approaching in the distance (and thus are sort of loosely trolley-prioritized now). Yeah, they could install the equipment to give us anal-retentive ArchBostonites peace of mind, but unlike the C and E it's not going to make a calculable difference to the B's on-time performance when these 4 lights are almost always green for E-W traffic. Until they can flip the ones at Carlton/BU Bridge, the U-turn at St. Paul, the awkwardly offset Pleasant/Agganis intersection, Babcock cross traffic, and Packards it stays the same.

Absolutely agreed. My point was solely that the construction of such a station is easy, not that it is a good idea. I do think, however, that if serious intercity rail ever comes to the B&A a Riverside Station will have to happen for through traffic, and I think my 2 long-term scenarios are good ways of doing that and improving quality of life in the area in general. If the interchange were reconfigured 25-50 years down the line, it could be done with an eye to giving direct access to the station from 128 and the Pike (current access from the both highways would actually be by the Route 30 exits, IMO).

Also, that golf course is quite public. It's owned by DCR.

If there's little juice for it with T traffic, Amtrak is definitely not going to come calling. No matter whether you've got HSR on the B&A or not. Westwood/128 is a big deal for Amtrak because it's situated right at the interchange where I-95 never ended up continuing into Boston. Canton split to SS is impossible to time a drive to the city vs. a train schedule and Route 3 to SE Expressway isn't much better. So Westwood serves a crying need for a surrogate terminal from the 'burbs most negatively impacted by the incomplete highway grid. It's a situational necessity for them.

You don't have that problem at all on the Pike. In fact, eliminate the toll backups in Allston and Weston with high-speed tolling and you can get a speed limit trip downtown to SS or BBY nearly any hour of the day. Not even the Newton Corner ramps at their worst produces more than a momentary blip unless it's caught in the middle of a conjoined ripple from the tolls. Framingham is actually the correct station spacing for an E-W intercity intermediate if you're going by highway traffic, since the Pike misses Worcester and the 495 to 290 stretch has more unpredictable traffic. There's a reason why the big Logan Express lot at Shopper's World is located at the same exit, a mere 2 miles up 126 from the station. Framingham's spent its whole existence as the preferred Worcester-Boston intermediate.

From Amtrak's standpoint it's not a plug-and-play equation of: if approaching Boston from x direction, must stop at 128. No. That's our localized perspective, but in the eyes of a national network Boston's a pretty compact urban core that doesn't need a wide net of intermediates cast around it. Westwood's necessity is situational because the I-95 discontinuity effectively shuts out terminal access to a huge population of would-be regular NEC users south of town who aren't in closer driving distance to Providence.

By contrast, they wanted nothing to do with a stop in Woburn when planning the Downeaster in the 90's. Resisted the idea for years. It was the DE being a state-sponsored route and getting Maine on-board with pushing the idea of a Massachusetts intermediate that helped it to happen. And that was only after the Commerce Way ramps off 93 were baked into the renovated/relocated-Mishawum plan that begat Anderson. Having to go through the Woburn cloverleaf onto 128 to get to the station exit was a nonstarter for 93 drivers. Yes, it's worked out well for all parties. Just as I'm sure there's lots of beltway park-and-rides nationwide where Amtrak could be buffing out its ridership with extra stops. But things like that don't rate very high strategically for a national operator unless it's a special acute case like Westwood and accessibility to the NEC. You'll notice none of their HSR vision docs put any N-S Link thru traffic stopping at Anderson after it leaves North Station. That's a local issue.

If the state truly demanded a Riverside B&A stop it's going to have to be their money building it and a state-sponsored service like Inland Regionals being forced to use it for Amtrak to pull in there. And they would need a LOT more convincing than it took to get Anderson on the DE schedule because of the location's obvious deficiencies. And it won't matter at all beyond those state-sponsored routes where they can get reluctantly bent to follow the local money. Any HSR line running west, any beefed-up LD's schedule, any route purely national and non- state-sponsored in funding makeup is going to be an insta-skip. And the site just doesn't have enough else going for it to float on state-funded Amtrak routes alone when the commuter rail draw is so minimal.

For what it's worth, Amtrak will not sell tickets from Woburn, Framingham or 128 to Boston (or vice versa). I'm not sure if that was an Amtrak decision, a state decision, or some combination of the two but I assume the likely culprit is either MBCR or MassDOT concern trolling about losing commuter rail revenue.

Between that, and the fact that there's no access to Dedham Street for 95 north traffic (meaning that all traffic south of the split trying to access 128 has to go through the 95/128 merge), I'm not sure that Route 128 is performing as well as it could be.

A full (or even half) Dedham Street exit would go a long way while we're waiting for one or both of the undead _______ Station project and the rest of the Canton Interchange project to get done.

For what it's worth, Amtrak will not sell tickets from Woburn, Framingham or 128 to Boston (or vice versa). I'm not sure if that was an Amtrak decision, a state decision, or some combination of the two but I assume the likely culprit is either MBCR or MassDOT concern trolling about losing commuter rail revenue.

Between that, and the fact that there's no access to Dedham Street for 95 north traffic (meaning that all traffic south of the split trying to access 128 has to go through the 95/128 merge), I'm not sure that Route 128 is performing as well as it could be.

A full (or even half) Dedham Street exit would go a long way while we're waiting for one or both of the undead _______ Station project and the rest of the Canton Interchange project to get done.

That's weird. 128 does pretty well for Amtrak according to their state-by-state station 2012 ridership stats: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/96/644/Top-Amtrak-Stations-by-State-ATK-12-097.pdf. (p. 3...note they count on/offs, not boardings-only like the T Blue Book). 444,000 vs. 473K for North Station and 528K for BBY. That math may tilt a bit heavier to exits, but it wouldn't even be in range of the others without healthy number of boardings. That might be worth further investigation.

CR is where it's been a real underperformer vs. expectations, and has been a cost sink for the state because the financing plan for the new station ridiculously over-weighted tix revenues to pay off the bonds. They got investigated by the state auditor several years ago for the funny math behind that. But blame the great Westwood Landing white hope for that one...they bought the hype and figured Downtown Crossing-by-the-off-ramp would be a bustling urban utopia in no time flat.

That's weird. 128 does pretty well for Amtrak according to their state-by-state station 2012 ridership stats: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/96/644/Top-Amtrak-Stations-by-State-ATK-12-097.pdf. (p. 3...note they count on/offs, not boardings-only like the T Blue Book). 444,000 vs. 473K for North Station and 528K for BBY. That math may tilt a bit heavier to exits, but it wouldn't even be in range of the others without healthy number of boardings. That might be worth further investigation.

CR is where it's been a real underperformer vs. expectations, and has been a cost sink for the state because the financing plan for the new station ridiculously over-weighted tix revenues to pay off the bonds. They got investigated by the state auditor several years ago for the funny math behind that. But blame the great Westwood Landing white hope for that one...they bought the hype and figured Downtown Crossing-by-the-off-ramp would be a bustling urban utopia in no time flat.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that there's plenty of boardings at 128 - it's just that every single one of those boardings is south towards NY/DC (and most detraining at 128 is northbound passengers on the return trip).

Amtrak should be, and would be, providing the express option - 10 minutes to Back Bay, 15 to South Station, and with the Amtrak trains going a long way towards filling the otherwise gaping hole in the schedule. Just having the option costs nothing because trains are already stopping there, and the performance of commuter rail to date suggests that the new boardings/detrainings Amtrak gains are coming from people who are currently driving rather than from people jumping ship from the Commuter Rail. It's literally just a matter of dropping the "only boards southbound, only detrains northbound" designation from 128 - which is why, as I said, I smell dirty politics here.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that there's plenty of boardings at 128 - it's just that every single one of those boardings is south towards NY/DC (and most detraining at 128 is northbound passengers on the return trip).

Amtrak should be, and would be, providing the express option - 10 minutes to Back Bay, 15 to South Station, and with the Amtrak trains going a long way towards filling the otherwise gaping hole in the schedule. Just having the option costs nothing because trains are already stopping there, and the performance of commuter rail to date suggests that the new boardings/detrainings Amtrak gains are coming from people who are currently driving rather than from people jumping ship from the Commuter Rail. It's literally just a matter of dropping the "only boards southbound, only detrains northbound" designation from 128 - which is why, as I said, I smell dirty politics here.

Not surprising with the likely politics. 128 has always been a touchy, touchy subject for the state because of that whole cooked-books auditor's investigation and how much bond sewage they've had to clean up in the last decade. Plus the "Westwood Landing ≈ Duke Nukem Forever" farce. They need to get over themselves, take the muzzle off Amtrak, and get the Fairmount Line down there. The highway access should improve greatly with the Canton split renderings eliminating all the weaving from 95 with a dedicated set of ramps, so if there's movement afoot to commit to that badly needed asphalt project they better stop stepping on their own shoes and get their shit together on the transit side. With or without Westwood Landing.

BRT running from Wonderland to Wellington down Route 16, through Chelsea and Everett. Route 16 is wide enough in most places along this stretch for true BRT. Busway, barrier, two lanes of traffic, barrier, two lanes of traffic, barrier, busway. This appears possible along most of that stretch.

Back