Reasonable Transit Pitches

Quick side note: Matthew asked me in this thread last month to update the board if I managed to get someone from Brookline to look at the light timing at the Hawes St. stop. You hit that set of lights wrong on a car or a C, you'll be sitting there for a full minute waiting for nobody in particular to use turn arrows or come out from the side street. I'm not positive, but I think the Hawes traffic got an absurd 30 seconds for ghost-cars to make the turn onto Beacon.

I used Brookline's online system to file a report on the intersection (making sure to complain on behalf of car drivers first and trolley riders second!), and they didn't close it immediately, an initial good sign. Around 7 last night I went through the light coming from the Hawes direction and tried to count it out as I went through -- 15 seconds, not more than 20. Then I re-checked my online ticket and it had been closed out with a message, "The work has been performed." So while I'm not 100% positive that they even made a change -- or if it's only off-peak, whatever peak is for Hawes St. -- it did feel shorter than before. Maybe they just thought about it, maybe it was just a placebo effect, but they sure do make you feel loved in Brookline. I'm hoping I can take credit for a solid minute-a-day improvement in the C's on-time performance.

Last year I "wrote to the top" to propose that PM headway adjustments expressing trains from Coolidge to Cleveland Circle should make an intermediate stop at Washington Square. The trolley always has to come to a stop at Washington anyway and I figured many like myself would stay on the express to get off at the midpoint rather than wait for the next train.

I was excited to find they did this for about a week, but then they must have realized it was too good an idea to work. No more.

Here's a crudely modified--not-to-scale on curves and whatnot--drawing showing more or less what I described:

1zeeadz.jpg

Wye is moved up away from the shallower portion of the OL tunnel to a wider one directly at the intermediate station (Shawmut tunnel stays well above Orange). Ped walkway connecting to the OL Tufts lobby...behind the Charlies so it's a total free transfer. Put the 2 x 2 sets of tracks to/from Boylston on Park-style island platforms. And then have a third, probably narrower, island for the BBY-Waterfront/Washington wye track. So basically you'd have 3 islands offset from each other like 3 sides of a triangle...then open space in the middle for a lobby and access to the OL walkway.

Anyone who wants to transfer to/from Washington and the Waterfront would just walk right across the same island from inbound to outbound side. It's not a one-seat, but it is the very simplest transfer you can swing: get off the inbound train and walk directly across the same platform onto an outbound. No stairs/elevator or crossing tracks to another platform required.

I see it now. Isn't there an entrance to TMC at the corner of Tremont and Oak, across the street from Norton Park? Google Street View details one (back when it was NEMC).

I see it now. Isn't there an entrance to TMC at the corner of Tremont and Oak, across the street from Norton Park? Google Street View details one (back when it was NEMC).

I honestly have no idea where the OL platforms and lobby are situated underneath that block. At any rate, it's somewhere in that general vicinity and somewhere in that general vicinity you can carve an unimpeded walkway between stations.

I honestly have no idea where the OL platforms and lobby are situated underneath that block. At any rate, it's somewhere in that general vicinity and somewhere in that general vicinity you can carve an unimpeded walkway between stations.

There's two mezzanines on either end of the platforms, both inside fare control - the elevators and escalators are all on the north end, with the exit up to Tufts and the bus stop on Washington Street. The south end features no elevators (I believe there may be an escalator? I'll check tomorrow) and is where the exit onto Oak Street is.

This is why we need the floor plans for all our subway stations pushed to Google Maps, by the way. There's a bunch of weird side exits and it's very easy for people to end up lost or coming out of the wrong one.

I still don't understand why all this tunneling is preferable to an Essex Street surface option, with one very shallow portal after Boylston and another by South Station into the transitway.

I also don't think this would preclude perpendicular service at Boylston from Park St running to Dudley through the Tremont Street Tunnel.

Cheaper, easier, more direct and more straightforward... I know tunneling is romantic and all, but I don't see the benefit here.

I still don't understand why all this tunneling is preferable to an Essex Street surface option, with one very shallow portal after Boylston and another by South Station into the transitway.

I also don't think this would preclude perpendicular service at Boylston from Park St running to Dudley through the Tremont Street Tunnel.

Cheaper, easier, more direct and more straightforward... I know tunneling is romantic and all, but I don't see the benefit here.

Boylston Station is pointed the wrong way, so you're talking about introducing an obnoxious back-in/back-out or back-in-wye-out just so that you can surface portal onto Essex Street in order to then street-run along a street you've closed for the express purpose of having a dual-mode trolley/busway that still is going to get fouled up by the cross-streets before dipping into a new portal to reach the platforms in South Station.

Honestly, looking at it again, the Essex Street Tunnel still sucks because a fairly sizable portion of it cannot logically exist underneath Essex Street for the same reasons I outlined above.

Boylston Station is pointed the wrong way, so you're talking about introducing an obnoxious back-in/back-out or back-in-wye-out just so that you can surface portal onto Essex Street in order to then street-run along a street you've closed for the express purpose of having a dual-mode trolley/busway that still is going to get fouled up by the cross-streets before dipping into a new portal to reach the platforms in South Station.

Honestly, looking at it again, the Essex Street Tunnel still sucks because a fairly sizable portion of it cannot logically exist underneath Essex Street for the same reasons I outlined above.

Wait... what? Explain why the Arlington approach into Boylston couldn't easily surface onto Essex with a little station re-configuration.

Wait... what? Explain why the Arlington approach into Boylston couldn't easily surface onto Essex with a little station re-configuration.

If by "little" you mean "complete overhaul of Boylston Station" then, yes, you're right, it just takes a little re-configuration to allow for trains to surface onto Essex.

Boylston's current orientation is north-south. Its platforms are north/south-facing and are all located north of Boylston/Essex, under Park Street and closer to Avery Street then Essex Street.

In order to actually get to Boylston's platforms, eastbound trains from Arlington must go over the curve. The way you would surface onto Essex is by continuing straight instead of going over the curve - but that causes you to bypass Boylston entirely.

So, one of three things needs to happen:
  1. A second curve needs to be built so trains can pull into Boylston, reverse direction, and pull out of Boylston heading for Essex Street and South Station. (bad)
  2. A brand new set of platforms needs to be built on the other side of the Boylston Curve, including a brand-new station concourse so those platforms can be accessed, and a brand-new pedestrian connection since trains coming from the south cannot access the new platforms. (worse)
  3. A second curve leading into a new deep-bore tunnel connecting to the South Station transitway needs to be built, so trains from the south can hang a hard right and passengers seeking to switch trains can still do so at Boylston. (awful)

I could imagine doing so if you avoided the existing Boylston Station (and therefore would run trains from the Boylston St. Tunnel directly onto Essex St.- there was a former portal so the tunnel widens) but I don't understand how it would work if you want to serve the Tremont St. tunnel and the existing station.

However, Arlington is better suited as an interline transfer station anyway, since it has a transfer between inbound and outbound (yes I know Boylston has a tunnel but it's abandoned and not ADA) and isn't overly busy otherwise.

However, Arlington is better suited as an interline transfer station anyway, since it has a transfer between inbound and outbound (yes I know Boylston has a tunnel but it's abandoned and not ADA) and isn't overly busy otherwise.

No it's not, because now you have no way for southbound passengers coming in on an eastbound line to transfer to a southbound line without riding up to Park Street or routing a bizarre west-south line that's probably going to require another direction reverse.

Aha I see what you're saying about Boylston's orientation. I suppose I had always visualized the... let's call it "Arlington - South Station" branch as indeed bypassing Boylston. Not overly tragic considering you can have a surface stop little more than one block away. Yes, this means you wouldn't be able to run Park Street - South Station... but isn't that what the Red Line is for?

I think the benefit of this service is connecting Back Bay with South Station and the Waterfront - the connection to Park Street and points northwards wouldn't be as critical.

No it's not, because now you have no way for southbound passengers coming in on an eastbound line to transfer to a southbound line without riding up to Park Street or routing a bizarre west-south line that's probably going to require another direction reverse.
Eh, but the southbound lines are going to be Dudley and maybe the E (F-Line presents a decent plan but it seems hard to me to justify hundreds of millions of dollars just to eliminate Copley Junction), and in those cases you can just keep an SL4 bus and the 39 will still go to Copley. (I mean, maybe if we have an Arborway Restoration too, which would change things I guess)

I do wonder what you would do on the South Station side- you pretty much have to go into the Silver Line tunnel it seems like, but can pantograph wire co-exist with trackless? I notice Seattle banned tracklesses from its dual-use tunnel when light rail came in, but I don't think you can do that on the Waterfront. (and what would you do with the dual-mode buses if you did? Send them all to Cambridge?)

And replacing SL1 with light rail is sadly something that quickly goes out of the reasonable thread...

Eh, but the southbound lines are going to be Dudley and maybe the E (F-Line presents a decent plan but it seems hard to me to justify hundreds of millions of dollars just to eliminate Copley Junction), and in those cases you can just keep an SL4 bus and the 39 will still go to Copley. (I mean, maybe if we have an Arborway Restoration too, which would change things I guess)

I do wonder what you would do on the South Station side- you pretty much have to go into the Silver Line tunnel it seems like, but can pantograph wire co-exist with trackless? I notice Seattle banned tracklesses from its dual-use tunnel when light rail came in, but I don't think you can do that on the Waterfront. (and what would you do with the dual-mode buses if you did? Send them all to Cambridge?)

And replacing SL1 with light rail is sadly something that quickly goes out of the reasonable thread...

Well...I would assume that first use of the tunnel is going to be for Washington-Dudley only, with the Tufts intermediate stop built up-front for the easy Orange transfer. Station under the park + Shawmut Ave. tunnel + incline is only 2 blocks of new subway construction and 1 block of new incline construction. The T still owns the covered-up Pleasant St. incline under the park. That massive wedge-shaped below street-level cut is easy to re-dig from the portal under a new shallow roof supporting the park above and allow for a spacious station within the cut's original footprint. Could do 2 tracks at the start and just leave the rest of the shell on the Charles St. Ext. side blank, or make it a 4-tracker with 2 thru tracks and 2 stub tracks as a turnback-with-OL-transfer for Medford trains.

That wouldn't be very expensive because of the modest amount of new tunneling under pre-cleared land, and the large station space in a pre-existing footprint.

I would definitely assume SS is a much later phase. It after all can only happen if piggybacked onto the N-S Link. Because any other routing is out of the question on feasibility.

And E/Copley Jct. replacement is a deep-future need that only matters if a parallel load-balancing route to the Central Subway becomes desirable...either because of more branches (Needham-off-D, more westbound street-running routes, the SS/Waterfront connection built and operating) or an Urban Ring hookup. So that drawing is really 3 separate builds you can do in 3 separate decades. With the first build being pretty basic and relatively resource-efficient engineering.

As for panto with trackless, there is a way it can be done. Dual-mode overhead for poles + panto definitely exists. The Green Line had that throughout the system from the late-70's to early-90's when Watertown was still connected and housing the non-revenue PCC fleet. Voltages in the Transitway are exactly the same.

The issue would be spacing out the TT negative return wire so the pantograph doesn't touch it and short it out. That can be done by lowering the power wire a couple inches below the return wire so the pantograph only touches that and stays a safe distance away from the return wire. And then probably adding some extra circuit breaker protection to the power draw as a precaution in the event of a downed wire. Since the TT's have flexible spring-loaded poles they'd run with the return pole stretched a couple inches higher than the power pole. Makes no operational difference to them or to the automatic pole raising at SL Way.

Last edited:
Here's a crudely modified--not-to-scale on curves and whatnot--drawing showing more or less what I described:

1zeeadz.jpg

Wye is moved up away from the shallower portion of the OL tunnel to a wider one directly at the intermediate station (Shawmut tunnel stays well above Orange). Ped walkway connecting to the OL Tufts lobby...behind the Charlies so it's a total free transfer. Put the 2 x 2 sets of tracks to/from Boylston on Park-style island platforms. And then have a third, probably narrower, island for the BBY-Waterfront/Washington wye track. So basically you'd have 3 islands offset from each other like 3 sides of a triangle...then open space in the middle for a lobby and access to the OL walkway.

Anyone who wants to transfer to/from Washington and the Waterfront would just walk right across the same island from inbound to outbound side. It's not a one-seat, but it is the very simplest transfer you can swing: get off the inbound train and walk directly across the same platform onto an outbound. No stairs/elevator or crossing tracks to another platform required.

Your station would need to have two levels at the Green Line, due to it being a "wye" at three points. Not sure how well that meshes with the Orange Line so close, but I do like the idea of one center wedge island [albeit on two levels].

I know some one-stop extensions have been regularly mulled such as OL to Rozzie, OL to Wyoming, RL to Belmont, etc... but what about Blue Line to Oak Island? I feel like one of the most active sections of Revere Beach is at Oak Island St, and for good reason. It's got numerous food options, most famous among them being Kelly's Roast Beef. There's a humongous apartment complex, and a couple smaller ones -- the larger being for seniors, who are typically more dependent on transit. Also, the neighborhood of Oak Island is incredibly dense as far as single-family detached housing goes.

This may not be BLX to Lynn, but if piecemeal is all you can do, then you gotta do what you gotta do. This also avoids any new bridges or acquiring a structure built on the ROW -- huge price/environment/legal hurdles. There's no need for parking (go down the street to Wonderland) or even kiss and ride. Shoe it in between Arcadia and Revere Beach Blvd.

I know some one-stop extensions have been regularly mulled such as OL to Rozzie, OL to Wyoming, RL to Belmont, etc... but what about Blue Line to Oak Island? I feel like one of the most active sections of Revere Beach is at Oak Island St, and for good reason. It's got numerous food options, most famous among them being Kelly's Roast Beef. There's a humongous apartment complex, and a couple smaller ones -- the larger being for seniors, who are typically more dependent on transit. Also, the neighborhood of Oak Island is incredibly dense as far as single-family detached housing goes.

This may not be BLX to Lynn, but if piecemeal is all you can do, then you gotta do what you gotta do. This also avoids any new bridges or acquiring a structure built on the ROW -- huge price/environment/legal hurdles. There's no need for parking (go down the street to Wonderland) or even kiss and ride. Shoe it in between Arcadia and Revere Beach Blvd.

Yeah...that's an easy one.

OL-Rozzie is an easy one that doesn't have to mess with the Needham Line if they swap the cannibalized double-track from FH with 1-2 more passing sidings further out.

Green-Sullivan after Innerbelt carhouse is built is an easy one. Turn the carhouse leads into revenue tracks, dip under the BET wye, and it's a few thousand feet up the double-track freight storage tracks. The carhouse leads will already be staring straight in the direction of Sullivan--in eyeshot--when that carhouse is built.

Green D-to-E connector is an easy one.

Mattapan 1-stop extension up Cummins Hwy. to loop at future Blue Hill Ave. Fairmount Line station is an easy one. Lane-drop Cummins and drop the tracks next to the median to the left of the yellow stripe and it's fully traffic-separated.

Infill stop on the Braintree branch at Neponset Circle wouldn't be hard. Remains of the former Old Colony station platforms are still there. Wouldn't be too much of a drag on headways if they can compensate by speeding up the very slow trip through Columbia Jct.

Extending the 71 TT to Newton Corner and looping at a new Worcester Line station is easy. The ex-A line power draw is still active underground the whole length of Galen St. It's literally just a matter or reinstalling poles and overhead and ADA'ing the bus stops.

Branch off of the Fairmount to Dedham Ctr. is easy if they took an easement off the school bus yard at Readville Yard 5, cut across from the Franklin-Fairmount junction, and re-laid the removed River St. and East St. bridges. Fork service at Readville between Westwood/128 and Dedham.

All of that is easy, esp. the electric projects where no additional power draw would be required. But simple short-distance stuff with high return on investment still takes institutional will. And when we don't even have the institutional will to complete the largely no-build Key Bus Improvements plan, even minor builds are tough to swing.

Mattapan 1-stop extension up Cummins Hwy. to loop at future Blue Hill Ave. Fairmount Line station is an easy one. Lane-drop Cummins and drop the tracks next to the median to the left of the yellow stripe and it's fully traffic-separated.

The Cummins/Blue Hill intersection clusterfuck immediately west of Mattapan isn't what I would exactly call a trivial thing to negotiate. I'd also be concerned about the potential impacts to any future plans for Red Line to Mattapan that this would have.

Infill stop on the Braintree branch at Neponset Circle wouldn't be hard. Remains of the former Old Colony station platforms are still there. Wouldn't be too much of a drag on headways if they can compensate by speeding up the very slow trip through Columbia Jct.

Which I don't think they can realistically do without launching into a decidedly difficult Southeast Expressway / Commuter Rail / Red Line overhaul mega-project. Of course, the corridor needs to be overhauled anyway for a variety of miscellaneous reasons - but that's another thread.

Extending the 71 TT to Newton Corner and looping at a new Worcester Line station is easy. The ex-A line power draw is still active underground the whole length of Galen St. It's literally just a matter or reinstalling poles and overhead and ADA'ing the bus stops.

Not happening without a similarly difficult overhaul mega-project undertaking, in this case, unfucking the Circle of Death. And given that one of the components of the Circle of Death is Exit 17 on the Mass Pike, I somehow doubt that a new station would simply be a new station as opposed to the finest in T Commuter Rail glass palace park and rides. (Especially since building a Riverside/Turnpike park-and-ride station at the 90/128 junction as a joint venture with Amtrak for future B&A Main Line service to Springfield and Pittsfield/Albany or Hartford/New Haven seems like a difficult to impossible proposition in its own right.)

Branch off of the Fairmount to Dedham Ctr. is easy if they took an easement off the school bus yard at Readville Yard 5, cut across from the Franklin-Fairmount junction, and re-laid the removed River St. and East St. bridges. Fork service at Readville between Westwood/128 and Dedham.

Wasn't the earth decidedly salted on the Dedham Center ROW with a $1/99 years lease? Sure, it might be landbanked, but given this state's track record on landbanking you'll forgive me for being ever the skeptic. "Save Our Trail!" coalitions or widening the ROW to allow for rail+trail aren't easy propositions, either.

That leaves Dedham Corporate or Inner Franklin (Norwood?) short-turns, but Inner Franklin can't get level boarding as of the last time I checked (and it represents an awful schedule drag besides) and reconstructing Dedham Corporate to facilitate level boarding and short-turns seems like a great way to throw money into a black hole with very little to gain on returns.

The Cummins/Blue Hill intersection clusterfuck immediately west of Mattapan isn't what I would exactly call a trivial thing to negotiate. I'd also be concerned about the potential impacts to any future plans for Red Line to Mattapan that this would have.

Debateable. But we're listing easy, low-impact builds...not ranking them by priority. That's a whole different exercise.

This is very easy build. The M's sparse headways don't make negotiating a long light cycle in the Square any issue. Hell, they don't even need to run thru to Blue Hill CR unless it's schedule-coordinated with a Fairmount Line arrival/departure.

Which I don't think they can realistically do without launching into a decidedly difficult Southeast Expressway / Commuter Rail / Red Line overhaul mega-project. Of course, the corridor needs to be overhauled anyway for a variety of miscellaneous reasons - but that's another thread.

Take a stopwatch on your next trip through Malfunction Junction between the portal and the JFK station approach. There have been artificial slow orders in place there for decades because the switches and signals don't fucking work right and treat 24/7 protection of sparse non-revenue moves from Cabot Yard with equal weight to all revenue trains crossing through there every 5 minutes. That minefield is one of the worst schedule drags on the entire Red Line. Supposedly that clusterfuck is partially funded for an infrastructure rehab, but they've been saying that for over a decade so I'll believe it when I see it. Shave half the travel time off the trip through that wasteland of switches and underpasses and you buy half a dwell time for a Braintree infill. Zap some of the equally pointless slow zones around the Neponset River bridge and buy a little more. No CBTC re-signaling required...just make the junction fucking work right for the first time since the late-80's and it's 'found' schedule resiliency that'll support 1 infill on the longest between-station gap of 1 branch.

SE Expressway megaproject/rebuild wouldn't do anything to trip times on either branch. All that is is 'stacking' the infrastructure to free up physical lateral room on the ROW. It's ops-neutral if (fair assumption) only Ashmont's still going to be stopping at Savin Hill station. And no way are they combining the branches into one mainline, third track or whatever, and losing the grade-separated junctions. That's headway-maiming for everything out to Alewife; it won't work.

Not happening without a similarly difficult overhaul mega-project undertaking, in this case, unfucking the Circle of Death. And given that one of the components of the Circle of Death is Exit 17 on the Mass Pike, I somehow doubt that a new station would simply be a new station as opposed to the finest in T Commuter Rail glass palace park and rides. (Especially since building a Riverside/Turnpike park-and-ride station at the 90/128 junction as a joint venture with Amtrak for future B&A Main Line service to Springfield and Pittsfield/Albany or Hartford/New Haven seems like a difficult to impossible proposition in its own right.)

There are 8 bus routes that already traverse the Circle of Death. 1 more frequency, even if it's under wires, does nil for better or for worse for traffic there. And doesn't mess up the 71 schedule at the end of the line.

A new station would be akin to whatever they rebuild the other 3 Newton stops to. The space between the Crowne Plaza air rights and the ramps does not allow for anything more than an 800 ft. platform, an egress, and a street-level bus loop. It wouldn't even be Allston/New Balance grandiose...because it can't.

You would be able to whack most of the Pike express buses if rail headways were sufficient, so that reduces some vehicle load on Circle of Death.

Wasn't the earth decidedly salted on the Dedham Center ROW with a $1/99 years lease? Sure, it might be landbanked, but given this state's track record on landbanking you'll forgive me for being ever the skeptic. "Save Our Trail!" coalitions or widening the ROW to allow for rail+trail aren't easy propositions, either.

Wrong Dedham ROW. That's the one south from West Roxbury that had been held since 1950 for the Orange Line extension. This is the full grade-separated and well-buffered one running west from Readville that was active for freight until 18 years ago. The one that had commuter rail until 1967. There's no trail plans for it because of the general lack of easy street access from the ROW, which is either in a cut or on a relatively tall embankment most of the way. Plus it's blocked at the east end by the semi-active Readville yard. People in town occasionally propose trails, but nobody wants to pay to grade it because of the very limited access points from the side streets and abutting properties it goes above/below.

That leaves Dedham Corporate or Inner Franklin (Norwood?) short-turns, but Inner Franklin can't get level boarding as of the last time I checked (and it represents an awful schedule drag besides) and reconstructing Dedham Corporate to facilitate level boarding and short-turns seems like a great way to throw money into a black hole with very little to gain on returns.

And there's no need to with Westwood being 1 exit away, having the garage and waiting room, pre-provisioned for triple track, and having extra turnout space on the easterly side for 2 more expansion platforms. That's why I said fork the Fairmount schedule at Readville once it is scaled up to 25 min. headways.

Dedham Corporate gets useful if you do Foxboro and 1-1/2x the schedule density on the main Walpole-north. But at CR headways, not "Fairmounting".

Debateable. But we're listing easy, low-impact builds...not ranking them by priority. That's a whole different exercise.

This is very easy build. The M's sparse headways don't make negotiating a long light cycle in the Square any issue. Hell, they don't even need to run thru to Blue Hill CR unless it's schedule-coordinated with a Fairmount Line arrival/departure.

Fair enough.

Take a stopwatch on your next trip through Malfunction Junction between the portal and the JFK station approach. There have been artificial slow orders in place there for decades because the switches and signals don't fucking work right and treat 24/7 protection of sparse non-revenue moves from Cabot Yard with equal weight to all revenue trains crossing through there every 5 minutes. That minefield is one of the worst schedule drags on the entire Red Line. Supposedly that clusterfuck is partially funded for an infrastructure rehab, but they've been saying that for over a decade so I'll believe it when I see it. Shave half the travel time off the trip through that wasteland of switches and underpasses and you buy half a dwell time for a Braintree infill. Zap some of the equally pointless slow zones around the Neponset River bridge and buy a little more. No CBTC re-signaling required...just make the junction fucking work right for the first time since the late-80's and it's 'found' schedule resiliency that'll support 1 infill on the longest between-station gap of 1 branch.

SE Expressway megaproject/rebuild wouldn't do anything to trip times on either branch. All that is is 'stacking' the infrastructure to free up physical lateral room on the ROW. It's ops-neutral if (fair assumption) only Ashmont's still going to be stopping at Savin Hill station. And no way are they combining the branches into one mainline, third track or whatever, and losing the grade-separated junctions. That's headway-maiming for everything out to Alewife; it won't work.

Right, I get that. But with the Southeast Expressway megaproject floating out there and the penchant for graft and mission creep, do you really, honestly expect that we're going to be able to get-in-get-out on dealing with signal hell and then have lightning strike twice on a Neponset infill without having the entire thing gobbled up into the Southeast project somewhere along the way? Hell, the best reason why signal correction likely hasn't happened yet is so that it can be used as an extra stick to get going on that project, or just to have it all done in one fell swoop because monoliths are "in."

But even setting politics aside, I don't think it's a reasonable assumption at all to say the project which entails rebuilding and shifting around most of the infrastructure there today is going to end up being ops-neutral. I'd be stunned if Savin Hill didn't make its way onto the Braintree branch as part of some line item or other, and I'd be stunned if the ultimate time impact on moving the tracks ended up at zero. Even if you make the (far more reasonable) assumption that we're NOT going to get a unified line at least through JFK as part of this (which doesn't preclude a unified line in 2050 - but that's another thread).

There are 8 bus routes that already traverse the Circle of Death. 1 more frequency, even if it's under wires, does nil for better or for worse for traffic there. And doesn't mess up the 71 schedule at the end of the line.

A new station would be akin to whatever they rebuild the other 3 Newton stops to. The space between the Crowne Plaza air rights and the ramps does not allow for anything more than an 800 ft. platform, an egress, and a street-level bus loop. It wouldn't even be Allston/New Balance grandiose...because it can't.

You would be able to whack most of the Pike express buses if rail headways were sufficient, so that reduces some vehicle load on Circle of Death.

One more bullet in the corpse of a guy who's just been shot a dozen times doesn't do anything for his situation, either. The Circle of Death is an absolutely awful abomination of bad road design masquerading as good road design, and I'd put safe money on it landing on some road improvements hit list some time within the next ten years. Big talk about throwing down a new station there isn't going to make it any less likely that some project won't be devised and implemented - in fact, I'd venture to say it'd make it more likely.

Crown Plaza also stands to benefit immensely from it becoming easier to get there. A mitigation deal to let Crown Plaza guests and staff (as well as whoever occupies the other large building next to Crown) use the garage for "free" isn't entirely out of the question, and you wouldn't need to tear the building down to put a garage in if you have the management working with you to integrate everything. (Hell, you might be able to swing direct connections if you word it right!) A New Brighton deal isn't nearly as impossible here as it appears at first glance.

Wrong Dedham ROW. That's the one south from West Roxbury that had been held since 1950 for the Orange Line extension. This is the full grade-separated and well-buffered one running west from Readville that was active for freight until 18 years ago. The one that had commuter rail until 1967. There's no trail plans for it because of the general lack of easy street access from the ROW, which is either in a cut or on a relatively tall embankment most of the way. Plus it's blocked at the east end by the semi-active Readville yard. People in town occasionally propose trails, but nobody wants to pay to grade it because of the very limited access points from the side streets and abutting properties it goes above/below.

Well, how about that. That actually brightened my evening a little bit.

Back