Recent visit to Portland

TheBostonian

Reaction score
What should I see on a leisurely visit lasting no more than a few hours?

Thats easy.

out of all our land, our most prominent area is called the "peninsula" and that is where everything in portland worth seeing is located. it is only 2 square miles. and of those two sm, most of it is composed of neighborhoods, meaning the tourist attractions (shops, museums, etc) are crammed into an even smaller space.

hit congress street, take a walk up and down on either side (its our main thoroughfare) and then find your way to the old port, which is uunmistakable and anyone will know how to direct you there by foot (no need for a car whatsoever). once there you can spend your time however you wish, there is always something to do and somewhere to eat.

enjoy if you end up coming here, and let us know what you think!

oh yeah and scenic destinations are at the far end on either side of the peninsula (two promenades).

edit -- if you are looking for specifics, just let us know what you are into and myself or others will mention some good places (restaurants, museums, trails, bars etc)

Thanks for the info, Patrick. The trip is definite now. I'll be printing this thread to take with me. I just didn't want to go there without checking for some common sense about the place from those familiar with it.

I'm only really planning on walking around the area and stopping probably for food. I think I'm wondering this:

You haven't really seen Portland if you haven't been/seen/done_______?

How can I park free in or near downtown without having to buy anything?

You haven't really seen Portland if you haven't been/seen/done... the old port is the only thing I can really think of. Some people say you have to eat a lobster or something like that, but that's not on my list of important things.

TheBostonian said:
How can I park free in or near downtown without having to buy anything?

I've parked in the parking lots of various stores on Marginal Way, which runs directly along I-295. You can also park in all of the neighborhoods except downtown for free, and it's a pretty short walk anyways.

The thing you might not know is how cheap parking in garages is here. Almost all of them are a dollar an hour. I would still say park in the Public Market garage since you can get your ticket stamped without a purchase and get two hours free. It is very easy to get to off of any of the downtown 295 exits. Plus you can see the beginning of the end of the public market. I wouldn't recommend parking on Marginal, that's too far and shitty of a walk.

From the market garage, it's a one block walk to Monument square/ congress st. , and the old port is only another block or two away. I would take a quick Congress st. walk, then head down to the old port . NOthing I would say you have to see. Just stroll along commercial st. and exchange street. Perhaps walk the Eastern trail at the end of Commercial st if it's nice. You'll get to see the work on Ocean Gateway.

I would make sure you wear Birkenstocks and tattered cut-offs, a t-shirt that proclaims "Gentrification is Good for All (including Hicks)" with patrick's face plastered on the front of a bulldozer, plenty of rainbow flag paraphernalia (of course) proclaiming marriage equality, and set up a sandwich board announcing "instant cash for Munjoy Hill ghetto property" that you can carry with you as you move menacingly among the ayuh-umping grumps throughout the city.

Don't forget to go the mythologically famous Moose Store (is it still there??) because moose make good wallets.

:twisted:
:p

you havent been to portland until you have seen the old port and waterfront. They essentially border eachother. I suggest just hitting the heart of downtown and walking in which ever direction seems most appealing.

nowhere to park for free downtown that I know of, but the adjacent neighborhoods, like mentioned before, are free, and garages are cheap.

There is an observatory at the top of munjoy hill that looks like a red light house that people always like, but not even i have been there and i am a resident. Just hit the old port, and i think youll be satisfied for a day trip.

there are lots of restaurants shops etc there.

good luck.

and for the record i love development but hate gentrification.

and i dont know what moose store you are talking about but i do know that there was a moose downtown a few days ago haha.

Patrick said:
There is an observatory at the top of munjoy hill that looks like a red light house that people always like, but not even i have been there and i am a resident.

I've never been up there either. We are like life-long residents of New York that have never been to the Statue of Liberty. 8)

I've never been either if that makes you guys feel better. My grandparents live almost across from it too. I'm not going to recommend going to Henry VIII's to eat because that would be too obvious. Tell us what price range you are looking for, if it's lunch or dinner, what kind of food you like, if you want in or outside seating, and we'll hook you up with the info.

If you have a little extra time you could take the 20 minute ferry ride to Peaks Island and eat at the Inn. Great place and right off the pier.

http://innonpeaks.com/dining.htm
They are the smallest legal brewer in the state. The dude who owns SHipyard owns this place and they brew a few beers right on the premise.

I'm going Wednesday, rain or shine, probably in the middle of the day. I don't know whether I'll have lunch or dinner there. As long as I can browse restaurants on foot and look at menus posted outside, I am happy. If Henry VIII's is so obvious, maybe I'll have to eat there.

TheBostonian said:
I'm going Wednesday, rain or shine, probably in the middle of the day. I don't know whether I'll have lunch or dinner there. As long as I can browse restaurants on foot and look at menus posted outside, I am happy. If Henry VIII's is so obvious, maybe I'll have to eat there.

Henry VIII's is his favorite sandwich shop, apparently he eats there as often as possible. I have never been but another forumer on here who visited (matt) went and said it was great. It is more or less in monument square, which is the heart of our downtown, a few blocks outside of the old port.

My recommendation to you is just to enjoy your day...there is not too much to portland, just a lot to enjoy as you relax. it will be a more meaningful visit i think if you leave all maps behind and just sight see as you move along, browsing random stores or whatnot. in my opinion that is what a city like portland is best for.

have fun.

Okay Okay, one more plug for the King, for old times sake....

RESTAURANT REVIEW
Henry VIII
Platinum Plate!
15 Monument Square
Portland, ME
207-780-8889

If you love roast beef, you'll love Henry the 8th in Portland, Maine. Since it opened last October, viewers haven't stopped writing us about it! It?s located right in the heart of Portland's business district in Monument Square. The restaurant is very small, very clean, and very red. There are a handful of wrought iron tables inside, and some patio tables with umbrellas outside. Atmosphere earns a gold plate.

The menu is small, but to the point. Roast beef sandwiches and platters are the specialty. Henry the 8th also serves hand carved turkey sandwiches and salads.

Our diner starts with the excellent house specialty sandwich The Henry VIII. It's roast beef cooked medium rare, sliced thin and served warm on a warm baguette with spicy homemade horseradish sauce. The regent is outstanding too. Medium rare slices of cold roast beef are topped with creamy boursin cheese, luscious roasted red peppers, mixed greens and mayonnaise. The sandwich is served on the same delicious baguette as the Henry VII. The Squire is full of hand carved turkey and cranberry sauce. It's like a taste of Thanksgiving between two slices of fresh bread. The meat is perfectly cooked, and the cranberry sauce adds just the right amount of sweetness.

Sides include chunky American and thinner, imported English potato chips, and herbed potato salad. Simple and delicious. Entrees earn the platinum plate

Henry the 8th offers outstanding counter service, also earning a platinum plate. The person who took our order was extremely friendly and helpful. When the meal was ready, it was promptly delivered to the table.

Sandwiches cost 5 to 7 dollars and side dishes are under 2 dollars. Diners in Portland say these prices are a little steep but we think it's an excellent value, especially since the sandwiches are so big! Value earns the gold plate.

Overall, Henry VIII just earns a platinum plate and that's an outstanding dining experience.

TheBostonian said:
Just returned. I'll be back later with some pics and thoughts.

cant wait, hope it was relaxing, fun, and whatever else you were expecting. Its funny how people from up north come to portland to see "the city" and people from mass come to portland to "get away from it all." Ill be interested in what your thoughts were.

I got soaked with rain for my first hour or so. It cleared by the time we arrived at the Portland Head Light House. I was astounded at how well maintained the park is there. We returned to downtown for some dryer walking after. Here are my scattered thoughts:

Thanks for the Henry VIII recommendation. I had a great Queen Anne sandwich. An employee reminded me they deliver and asked where I work. I'd love to have Henry VIII's at work! We parked at the Public Market garage twice and only had to pay $1.25 once. The market itself seemed like a failure. It is a very pleasant space but many vendor spots were vacant and what looked like an anchor restaurant was closing or moving.

I was surprised that I liked the Portland Public Library. I don't like many things built in 1979 besides my own self. Is there some wonderful original building that the new one replaced? Speaking of which, City Hall, the custom house and the courthouse are stunning. The high school looked nice too, but I didn't get a close look. Portland has great public buildings.

I loved how the Longfellow House is squeezed right in there downtown. The garden behind it, though lacking color and occupied by a single riff raff talking to himself, is a jewel. I saw so many beautiful historic homes, one after another on Danforth St, interrupted only by the hospital and senior housing. I saw the Victoria Mansion. I walked from there through the studio district, but didn't see any indication of why the area has that designation.

Congress St. is a nice urban space. I consider the fair amount of bicyclists, despite the rain, to be a good sign, along with banners for new downtown housing. I noticed a priceless scarcity of chains. There are some, but they seem to be less concentrated than in Boston. I had mistaken two or three statues (Lobster man, Civil War and Ford [?]) for the Longfellow statue before finding it. And I especially like the physical space of the Longfellow and Congress Squares area. I'm a fan of buildings built for their lot regardless of the lot's shape. I am talking specifically about the building at the convergence of Congress and Free Streets. The whole Old Port area seems to be an great urban space. Reminds me of Beacon Hill. But I don't make the comparison to put it second. The area holds its own. I admired what I think was Post Office Park while I ate a $5 ice cream. I love parks surrounded by buildings. That mural across the street sure beats a blank wall. Same with the other at Congress Square. They really make a difference. I loved the sight of the Portland Regency Hotel. There is something magical about it.

I like the corporate signs on the city's tall buildings. I found the few people I talked with to be very pleasant, including someone who offered directions from her car to ours at a red light when she saw me fumbling with a map. The city has riff raffs roaming the streets, but they don't overwhelm the place.

Portland has more real CITY to it than the great American non-cities like Atlanta, Houston and Charlotte. It compares to Providence with its intact, old fashioned downtown that survived the tragedy of urban renewal and can't not be easily emulated. But it is a step ahead with its more established and welcoming urban fabric, while Providence is only still moving toward that. Of course Providence kicks ass with its riverfront, cute little skyline, colleges, current building boom and easy access from Boston. But they are both great New England urban places that are not Boston. They are, in my mind, sister cities.

All good observations, Bostonian. Just FYI, the public market is actually in the process of closing. If you could have walked through during the summer maybe a year or two ago, when it was full, it would have been more impressive. It will be interesting to see what they do with the building.

Max said:
Just FYI, the public market is actually in the process of closing. If you could have walked through during the summer maybe a year or two ago, when it was full, it would have been more impressive. It will be interesting to see what they do with the building.
I still can't believe that place wasn't profitable. It was such a great asset to the city. Shame to see it go. :(
I like ablarc's idea of moving it down to the Greenway in Boston. :D

The PPM sure was a great asset to the city. Maverick's, the sports bar located on the first floor, was where I had my first beer. I loved eating there because you can look right out on to the street and see the ever-present riff-raffs that you spoke of, bostonian. I dont know why, but I like seeing them, makes me more interested than when I was in burlington and all I saw were other college kids or my professors walking the streets. It is also terrible that the public market is closing because the condo tower planned for a block away will now have trouble marketing itself because other than the public market, that area of the city is plagued with crime and violence...not attractive to homebuyers, inother words, without the PPM. There is talk of the library expanding into the vacant space if their offer is acceptable to the corporation that just bought the building. Oh yeah, and the PPM will be survivng in a newer and smaller location right next to Henry VIII's beginning sometime soon. What is truly tragic is the fact that where the PPM building is located was originally a site designated for the construction of a 15-story office tower to be an addition to the maine bank and trust building on congress street. Now we have neither that nor the market. shame on you, portland!

I am glad you got to see so many of our attractions...victorian mansion, longfellow house, courthouse, custom house etc are always favorites for urban enthusiasts...I just didnt know how to explain them or how to get to them to you over the internet,,,so im glad you found them on your own. Portland High School is the second oldest public learning institution in the nation. In the basement there are still remains of the old concrete wall that used to separate the boys half from the girls hsalf.

The reason you saw so many historic homes in the area by the hospital is because in the 19th century a fire destroyed all of the older structures in the city and the rich women of the city (so the story goes) demanded their husbands build them new, sturdier brick homes on the west side of our peninsula. The closer to the western promenade you get, the bigger and more historic looking they get. sadly, in between the hospital and the western prom is a ghetto of 24,000 people per square mile where nothing but trouble goes down...there is this street called brackett street which parallels a school and there is always drug dealing, shootings, stabbing etc taking place there...sad for the children.

Im not sure what you mean by the studio deistrict...never heard of it. Unless you mean the "arts district" in which case you were in the wrong place. the arts district is along congress street from the triangular shaped building where congress and free streets split all the way down to the maine college of art. The area behind congress street as you head toward the old port is kind of a no-go zone with not much happening there except for a few night clubs and the civic center (if you can call that anything much at all).

What chain stores did you notice downtown? Subway? i think there is currently a ban against all chain restaurants and chain outlet stores downtown (they're all out at the maine mall in south portland instead, because the city realizes no one wants to come to portland and see what they already have in their own city) so i dont know how subway snuck in, or dunkin donuts or quiznos for that matter.

the murals you spoke of are favorites of mine, too, id much rather see them than a blank wall. did you catch the whale wall on the waterfront by any chance? the portland reagency is nice, i agree.

for some reason, if you are from out of town everyone in portland is your best friend. very friendly and helpful. but if you are a local and wanna bum a smoke from someone on the street forget about it you'd have better luck winning the lottery. people in this city are assholes if you live here. some one cut me off yesterday and then flipped me off for no apparent reason, shortly before two guys pulled up next to me in bayside at a traffic light and asked me what the F*** i was looking at once i turned to see what they were looking at (they were staring at me for like 30 seconds, i could see from the corner of my eye).

riff-raffs dont overwhelm the city in the summer, but man oh man you should see the place in the winter.

I am glad that you think we have a downtown that survived urban renewal, it shows how good of a job we did at hiding the fact that exactly the opposit is true. Franklin arterial which lets into the city from I-295, cut through old italian working class neighborhoods, forever displacing one of the most culturally significant areas of the city. and our downtown (congress square, near henry VIII's) used to not have more than one high rise before the 1950s, and not more than two before the 1980s. There were olf trolly tracks along congress street that have been paved over, and the two or three tall buildings between downtown and the old port replaced some really historic structures, im not sure what the library replaced, but it is being replaced itself in about a year with a new more modern exterior and a cafe.

I like the fact that you called us sister cities with providence, the fact that an outsider has that perception of us means we are headed in the right direction, in my mind. Also, speaking of our welcoming urban fabric, the city is currently in the process of transforming the industrial section of town that you have to drive through from the interstate to downtown into a new urban gateway with parks and high rises. should be interesting to see how it turns out. anyhow, glad you enjoyed your trip, post some pics when you get a chancem im looking forward to them.

statler said:
Max said:
Just FYI, the public market is actually in the process of closing. If you could have walked through during the summer maybe a year or two ago, when it was full, it would have been more impressive. It will be interesting to see what they do with the building.
I still can't believe that place wasn't profitable. It was such a great asset to the city. Shame to see it go. :(
I like ablarc's idea of moving it down to the Greenway in Boston. :D

The Libra Foundation (from what I am told - very reliable source) used to lose close to 1 million per year on the Public Market. The Restaurant at the PM pays absolutely nothing for a lease. Libra basically subsidized the restaurant space so that their WOULD be a restaurant in the Public Market. Otherwise, a restaurant in that location just wouldn't have been able to survive. So you can see why Libra was anxious to dump the Public Market.

Back