Recent visit to Portland

Well gonna need to know a few things Matt. You coming alone, with somebody, with kids, got a hotel, like beer, like food, like hipsters.....oh wait you don't have a choice with the last one. You better like them or you're in trouble.

Handy resource here at least for the food/drink part. Hit list view to see them all

http://www.portlandfoodmap.com/

Going with my girlfriend. We like to drink. And eat.

I'll check out the list.

Still sorting out hotel/accommodations.

Last edited:
Hotels can be really expensive in portland but if you can afford the ones downtown you are best to do that. There are some shady shitty ones on the outskirts of the city and you don't want that. What dates are you looking for?

By outskirts you mean all those motels near the mall?

Oct 4th-6th. Looking at some BnB options.

Okay, sorry. Everything is sold out. Didn't realize just how busy it still is up there. I think I have to push this back to a less busy week.

Matt I was thinking more of the ones on the westbrook line like Super 8, Travelodge, Fireside Inn, etc.

Love all the people bitching here about us getting all these new hotels under construction yet time and time again we hear stories of people like you not being able to get a room. We will have more hotel rooms than providence in about a year and it still will be busy.

Yeah I just checked a bunch of B&B's and booked on those dates. Well keep us posted and we'll help out when you finally make it here. You certainly could stay by the mall but I think it would be worth it to be intown, whether major hotel or a B&B on munjoy hill or the west end.

Even the shelters are full downtown this time of year! Oh my bad, they are maxed out the entire year.

I will let you know. I definitely want to stay in town. But I will wait until the season subsides a bit.

Try the Inn at St. John. It's an old rooming house but the rooms are comfy and more affordable than most hotels. The Guardian travel writers stayed there last week: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/sep/27/twitter-road-trips-usa-baltimore-bar-harbor

It's kind of on the edge of the central city area, but it's within walking distance of the bus/train station (a pretty unpleasant walk under the freeway overpasses, unfortunately) and just a block away from the new Salvage BBQ, which is a tasty lunch or dinner spot.

Going to finally make it up there this weekend. Yay for cold weather/cheap prices!

Your suggestions have been very helpful so far.

One area of the city that has really changed since the first couple of pages of this thread is East Bayside, north of Cumberland Avenue, east of Franklin St. until you get to the cliff. In the 2006 timeframe, if you didn't live there you probably didn't go there unless you were visiting a specific business (legit or otherwise). Now, there are a bunch of breweries, bakeries, etc. that have opened up in the area. Unfortunately, I can't find a good site that lists them concisely unless Portland Food Map has something.

Having read the thread, and not intending to beat a dead horse, but there was a lot of discussion about the old Portland Public Market and why it failed. Since it really wasn't aimed at the residents in the area, my thought was that they really hoped to attract the commuter-workers in the Monument Square financial district to do their shopping for that night's dinner there before heading home. Of course, that didn't pan out, either.

One area of the city that has really changed since the first couple of pages of this thread is East Bayside, north of Cumberland Avenue, east of Franklin St. until you get to the cliff. In the 2006 timeframe, if you didn't live there you probably didn't go there unless you were visiting a specific business (legit or otherwise). Now, there are a bunch of breweries, bakeries, etc. that have opened up in the area. Unfortunately, I can't find a good site that lists them concisely unless Portland Food Map has something.

Having read the thread, and not intending to beat a dead horse, but there was a lot of discussion about the old Portland Public Market and why it failed. Since it really wasn't aimed at the residents in the area, my thought was that they really hoped to attract the commuter-workers in the Monument Square financial district to do their shopping for that night's dinner there before heading home. Of course, that didn't pan out, either.

Which brings up a good point.........would the Portland Public Market survive now.....or in the not-too-distant future if it were/had been managed correctly?

Which brings up a good point.........would the Portland Public Market survive now.....or in the not-too-distant future if it were/had been managed correctly?

Good points about east bayside. Regarding the ppm yes I think so. The public market in monument square is doing great from what I can see.

Going to finally make it up there this weekend. Yay for cold weather/cheap prices!

Your suggestions have been very helpful so far.

Hey if you don't mind i'll throw out some suggestion's.

For breakfast in portland I would hit up "hot suppa" delicious food, cool atmosphere. For a cheap cash only breakfast marcy's is good. The little Tap house is not busy and really good food.

If your looking for dancing and music i stay away from the middle of the old port as it's mostly college kids aka fanuel hall. l would suggest Bubbas silky loung, Fun 80's dance music. Also Riras usually has the tickle play on either fri or saturday in the winter and that is always a fun time. Brian boru, Grittys and bull feeney's have live music in the old port area. Although there will be plenty of college kids at these places, they are less the fight type crowd.

For ice cream hit up one of the Gelato places in the old port, open pretty late.

For late night Pizza and a beer otto's, stay away from Bills.

For homemade Donuts in the morning, the holy donut.

For homemade Bagels in the morning union bagel.

For Bowling and music, baysidebowl.

For a romantic, nice atmospehere's and a great happy hour I would suggest The north point, Petite Jacqueline, Boone's( late night happy hour also), outlier's, corner room(free food) Also a drink on the top of the east is a sweet spot in the new westin.

For dinner if you like sushi there are plenty of option's. My favorite is Yosaku

A live paid show you can check out port city music.

For a huge beer selection great lost bear or novare res.

For cheap, awesome food sunday night at 10pm boda or if they are full Pai men mitake next door.

For good food not expensive duckfat.

Some fun classier night spot's with good atmosphere's that also have good martinis/ cocktails is the armory, sonny's and 188.

Last edited:

I think it absolutely would suvive, especially if/when midtown is built. There just weren't enough residents within a short walking distance to make it successful previously.

Thanks! I will definitely use some of these suggestions.

I'll 2nd the Holy Donut recommendation. I just recently discovered this place, and holy crap the donuts are awesome. There are two locations: one in the Old Port on Exchange Street and another on Park Ave. across from the Portland Ice Arena.

I've tried the Holy Donut, but to be honest, I'm still a Tony's loyalist. Comes from going to St. Pat's, I guess :) .

I haven't been to the renovated Top of the East, but the view hasn't changed regardless of what else has. Definitely the best, if not only, place in the city going for "swanky nightclub" (and probably making it).

Is there a thing against salting sidewalks here, btw?

Back